Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does It Feel Weird to Be Called by Your FlyerTalk Name in Person?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does It Feel Weird to Be Called by Your FlyerTalk Name in Person?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Most people will just shorten my name down to just Byrd, which is my real name anyway. However, I think it would be funny for someone address me as "ByrdluvsAWACO"
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It's definitely one of those odd things.

I started being referred to as "sllevin" years ago within techie circles because we had like 4 guys named Steve at work, and that was the easiest way to identify the appropriate person.

And I'll refer to myself as "Steve" but when I fill out forms, it's always "Steven."

But I just can't see referring to people, generally, by their FT handle unless it's that type of thing.

Steve
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:04 am
Suspended

People rarely call me MapleLeaf in real life but they do call me ML which seems to be the shortform.

At the YYZ beer bashes, I usually get called ML ahead of my real name, even though most of us know each other and have met many times.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Aside from the 75(which I am still not sure why I added it to my FT handle), Tkey is my nickname, and my last name, phonetically. So, no, it's not so strange for me.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
lalala writes:

When someone has known me for more than three or four years, yes.

If they just met me, its okay.

When TH gets called that, she cringes, but its better than hey you.
For me, lala, and I feel like I have known you forever, you have always been and, for me, you will always be lala. I love that name. Tifanny, for me, will always be Tifanny.

violist, in my brain will always be violist, and lili will always be lilidui* despite the fact that I have met both of them many times and know their real names perfectly well.

* Is lili someone other than lilidui, or did she change names, or have I lost my mind?

Actually, in real life, Rudi likes it best when I call him, "My most, handsome, brilliant, talented, and esteemed older brother". He isn't really all that wild about the "older" part, but I always throw that in just for balance.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I've had the nick AsianRick for the past 9 years or so. I got used to people calling me by my screenname
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
I've had the nick AsianRick for the past 9 years or so. I got used to people calling me by my screenname
So you're Irish, right?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Love when someone asks if I am "Obscure"
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
When hosting visitors to the CNMI here on my home island, I might get more than a few bemused glances if publicly addressed as "Saipan," though "Lifer" might not be considered as odd. And I am alreay used to being addressed on the street by my Hash name. But if you seem reasonably trustworthy, I am likely to divulge my "real" given name.

However, if I am ever fortunate enough to attend a Do, or even an informal gathering of FlyerTalkers off-island, "Saipan" will be fine.

Isn't that what koko does?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
...I might get more than a few bemused glances if publicly addressed as "Saipan," though "Lifer" might not be considered as odd. ....

However, if I am ever fortunate enough to attend a Do, or even an informal gathering of FlyerTalkers off-island, "Saipan" will be fine....
So I guess I should quit thinking of you as Spin-Lifer? Didn't make the Saipan SPN connection after all these years, but I've never been accused of being overly bright. Somehow had you mis-associated with the late-night Christian PTN Club or whatever that was.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:04 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Love when someone asks if I am "Obscure"
Obscure yes, but you will always be O2K to me even though you are one of the very few FTers whose real-world name I can remember.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
One evening, a F/Ter unexpectedly showed up at my kibbutz and started asking people where he could find "Dovster". Naturally, nobody knew.

He finally realized that if he changed the question to "Dov" he would have a much better chance of success.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:25 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by lili
Obscure yes, but you will always be O2K to me even though you are one of the very few FTers whose real-world name I can remember.
Thanks, Lili. As well, you are also one of the few FT'rs whose real-world name is burnished in my memory; lovely memories of VCE
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lili
Didn't make the Saipan SPN connection after all these years . . . .
I've tried to make it easier my not modifying the data under my username ("Location") since signing up.

Dov thought I was an ESPN Filer, but I haven't had a television (connected to cable or broadcast reception) since 1990.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:04 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by tkey75
So you're Irish, right?
LOL

Actually I'm part Chinese, Dutch and Indonesian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.