Wiki Posts
Search

SIN Run 2006

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Even though most merchants in SIN are very honest many taxi drivers are not. The most frequent ripoff is to add surcharges when picking up someone at a hotel. This will show in the "Extras" display on the meter...
This was again attempted to me today when leaving the Raffles Plaza Hotel going to the airport. What I got in there was $6.40 displaying in the "extras" box. When I arrived at the airport I asked was the $6.40 was for. She said "It is a surcharge". I said "Surcharge for what?", response "Just a surcharge". I then said "I am getting the police." Response "No charge then". I went looking for police but none in sight. She then left without me paying. I then called taxi company and filed a complaint.

This is a good way to get a free ride from the ripoff drivers. Did anyone else have this happen?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:26 pm
In memoriam

I am in the SQ lounge in SIN now as my upgrades have cleared SIN-NRT-SFO. Thank again mjm for the great job. It was nice to meet some more of the FT gang.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Originally Posted by WWBGD
Glad you arrranged such a nice weekend weatherwise for all of us Sin Doers...Nice job W.
It's a pleasure, WWBGD. I wish I wasn't so busy with work so I could have brought you all around. Next time buddy...drop me a PM when you are in town.

- W
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by dedehans
Thank you, Mike, for arranging such a wonderful evening.....it was lovely to meet you and a few others, see old friends again. I am sorry I couldn't spend more time with everyone.

I do hope to see you at another FT Do very soon....

The pictures are great and much appreciation to all of you who brought cameras and posted so quickly.
Hey dedehans, it was great seeing you as well as some of the EZE-Do group we had last yr. Let me know when you are coming into town again. Last weekend was just too short
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Darn it! I missed this again! I'll be back in Singapore next week though and staying for nearly 5 weeks. Oh well, maybe next year! Looks like it was off to a terrific start will reach 40K by end of march though
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:37 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:33 pm
In memoriam

This was again attempted to me today when leaving the Raffles Plaza Hotel going to the airport. ... Did anyone else have this happen?
I think a good way to tell if you were ripped off is to ask for a reciept. If you are given a machine printed one you probably were charged correctly. If you were given a hand written one you were probably overcharged. The machine printed one shows an itemization of the charges and the driver is unlikely to give you that if he overcharged you.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
In well over a decade of regular (read at least monthly) travel to SIN and constant use of taxis, I have only ever had one taxi try anything like that - and then he was mostly keen to try and lock in a cash return trip to the airport.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:07 am

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Hey, cawhite, would you please take a look at the pictures and send us the names of all of your unidentified boyfriends?

For those of you who have never experienced the KUL Hilton, it is truly amazing. Here are some pictures.. Our suite was a designer's dream and the food in the lounge was delicious. We were just sorry that we didn't have more time to enjoy Malaysia. I guess that is what retirement is about.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:04 am

This was again attempted to me today when leaving the Raffles Plaza Hotel going to the airport. What I got in there was $6.40 displaying in the "extras" box. When I arrived at the airport I asked was the $6.40 was for. She said "It is a surcharge". I said "Surcharge for what?", response "Just a surcharge".
Did you take the cab prior to 6am? if you did, it is the pro-rate mid-nite surcharge (12mn to 6am) where you get slapped with 50% additional tariff.
My guess is the cab driver is intimidated by your request to call for the police. When in doubt, read the tarrif rules on the side of the window in backseat.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:12 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by ws8n
Did you take the cab prior to 6am? if you did, it is the pro-rate mid-nite surcharge (12mn to 6am) where you get slapped with 50% additional tariff.
My guess is the cab driver is intimidated by your request to call for the police. When in doubt, read the tarrif rules on the side of the window in backseat.
There are so many surcharges for taxis in Singapore, that it is easy for anyone to be confused, or to think they are being overcharged when they are actually not. Here's a list:

http://www.comfort-transportation.co...s_charges.html
Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Echoing what everyone else has said, thanks mjm for putting this event together. Quite a few of the people I met at this, my first Do, said the SIN Run is one of the best FlyerTalk Do's, and from what I experienced, I'd bet they're right. From dinner at No Signboard, where the food was great and the company even better, to the Night Safari on Sunday, where being buzzed by low-flying bats was just one highlight, the events were well chosen and well planned. I had so much fun that, even though I'm a cold-weather loving guy who finds Minnesota winters invigorating, I'm going to make an effort to attend again next year.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
I'm going to make an effort to attend again next year.
If you book your tix very very quickly, you can probably be the "second" person confirmed for next year's DO.....(right behind ME!)

Best wishes, Dave
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:55 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by Hunki
Hey, cawhite, would you please take a look at the pictures and send us the names of all of your unidentified boyfriends?
Jubilee777 is the one with MovieMan and Kiwi Flyer.

The picture of 4 at No Signboard with 'names?' on is, L-R ws8n, 9V-JKL, Guttorm & CGK. The next picture of 3 is the last 2 plus Mafbar.

Last edited by MAN Flyer; Jan 19, 2006 at 11:01 am
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Thank you very much, MAN Flyer. The names have been added.

Just a few more to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.