Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We have lost Cholula

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:26 am

RIP...
Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:33 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
I too am deeply saddened by the loss of Cholula. He was a bright and shining light on many of the FT Dos we were at together. He and Mrs. Cholula brought smiles and laughter to many of us. I still cherish the memory of a group of us at the White Sands NM site in winter with me in uggs, parka gloves and scarves and Cholula in sandals, short sleeved shirt and shorts....RIP Cholula. You are missed.
Traveller, dhammer53, Abby and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:10 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Very sorry to hear of Dave's passing. He was a very kind and decent man and we collectively were lucky he was so active on this site during its formative days; today's FlyerTalk has Dave's DNA deeply interwoven into it. As a peer moderator, I always enjoyed his counsel and getting to see him in person from time to time. I appreciated his affinity for Hawaiian shirts and tolerance of my preference of Tapatio. Rest in peace and deepest sympathies to Mrs. Cholula (Laura).

Canarsie , ironically I see Cholula sitting across the aisle from CMK10 in the photo you posted.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 27, 2023 at 5:49 am
Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can only echo what has already been said and affirm what a warm and big hearted presence he has been on these forums. I am very sorry for his loss.
His dedication to promoting cholula has left a lasting impression at my own house. He gently encouraged me to try the sauce, no mean feat as I began with no tolerance to or affinity with comida picante, and it became my gateway to whole new worlds. We always still have the original to hand.
Thank you, Dave, for giving me the doorway which allowed me to progress to making Mabo Doufu and the greatest of marital happiness as a result.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
This is a major loss for the community. I don't think I will ever look at a bottle of hot sauce the same way. May his memory forever be a blessing.

-J.
monitor, dedehans, N830MH and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 7:12 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Rest In Paradise
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
😪h dear. Very sad.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was so sorry to hear of cholula's passing. I'm trying to remember if we served on TB together or if he was phasing out as I was coming on TB. I met him in person (and Laura) at Dos & of course he converted me to THE hot sauce. He was a good TB member, a super moderator, and great, all-around contributor to FT. The FT community was stronger due to Dave. He will be missed. RIP Dave.
dhammer53 and Abby like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Oh, the night we went to see Elton John in Las Vegas and it just happened to be my birthday and he was buying drinks at the Bellagio and I didn't happen to notice how much they cost.
Traveller and Abby like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
As I recall, Cholula was my first friend on FT. We loved to exchange friendly insults (online only) and played tricks on each other (in person) when we got together at the first The Great Delta Board PBI-FLL Meet in 2004.

When he began not to post on FT, and later resigned as a moderator, I was very curious as to why -- but was afraid of the answer I might get. Sadly, that fear was fully justified.
@Canarsie, you have my permission to send the picture of that t-shirt to anyone who asks for it. Many here know that Hebrew is written from right to left. but they may be surprised to learn that is also written upside-down.

As far as I am concerned, not only is Cholula still a part of FT but he is, and always will be, the symbol of what is the very best that FT offers its members.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Terrible to hear this - Dave was such a pleasure to spend time with. RIP Dave
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:49 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Dovster, Cholula, and I were considered the “triumvirate” of sorts on FlyerTalk back in the early 2000s when we were all new members of FlyerTalk — especially in the Delta SkyMiles forum. We gave the moderators of the Delta SkyMiles forum a difficult time — and that was no different when I became a moderator of that forum. Did we have fun!

Cholula was “the first FlyerTalk member I have ever met in person. He is the key instrumental person who unknowingly (until now) assisted me in overcoming my hesitation of communicating with (and eventually meeting) other FlyerTalk members.

In the lounge of the Marriott hotel in El Paso in 2006 for this bizarre gathering of FlyerTalk members, Dave sparked the idea of me earning my Master of Business Administration degree — and I followed through on it later that year.

Whenever I see photographs of him, my sadness turns to smiles because of so many of the memories I have had with him over the years.

This photograph was taken on the Brooklyn Reality Tour on Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 12:55 in the afternoon Eastern Daylight Time at Casa Calamari on 3 Avenue and 86 Street in Brooklyn — and yes, the late CMK10 and magic111 are present as well.

The funny thing is that I was eating breakfast in Omaha yesterday morning with Cholula hot sauce and spoke of him to colleagues at the table. What a coincidence.

Little did I know...
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Sad news. I only met him once at a DO in South Florida years ago.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I am so sorry to hear of his passing. I have learned so much from his posts and his contributions to Flyertalk.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:28 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them

At El Paso DO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.