Japan Do 2023 - Tokyo - 6-9 April 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pudgym29
List of Events

Thursday 6 April 7pm - Meet and Greet Drinks - Mikkeller Kanda (see post #67)
Friday 7 April - Walking tour of Ueno Park, Kappabashi shopping street and Asakusa with an optional water bus trip down the Sumida River (see post #76)
Friday 7 April 7-9pm - Official Do Dinner - Kakoiya, 7-9-20 Ginza, Tokyo (see post #73)
Saturday 8 April - Day trip to Okutama (mountainous area of western Tokyo), a short hike along Hatonosu Gorge and a cablecar ride up Mt Mitake (929m) (see post #75)
Sunday 9 April - Explore Shibamata in northeastern Tokyo (see post #106)

Do Dinner Attendees - No further changes please
A table has been booked for the 9 people listed below for the Do Dinner on Friday 7 April. Details in post #73. Late cancellations and no shows will be charged in full.

NewbieRunner
ClaudiSTR
cocobird
chrisflyer66
nomadic.relief
TravelKane
elliott44k
firstglobal
pudgym29

Attendees:

cocobird - Comfort Hotel Kanda (8 days Wed to Thur)
NewbieRunner - Remm Hibiya
beckoa (arrive Fri pm)
beckoa+1 (arrive Fri pm)
nomadic.relief - Comfort Hotel Kanda
TravelKane - Westin
ClaudiSTR - Friday evening to Sunday noon, Courtyard Tokyo Station
ChrisFlyer66 - Hilton Shinjuku Wed-Sat, Comfort Hotel Kanda Sat-Monday
tuchop
BigRedBears - Comfort Hotel Kanda
lowjhg (part of the DO)
Flier John - local
elliott44k (Thurs & Fri evening)
svimonoff - local
firstglobal - Courtyard Ginza
pudgym29 - Shimbashi
bpe - local-ish (Thursday evening)

Print Wikipost

Japan Do 2023 - Tokyo - 6-9 April 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Flier John
I'm a Flyertalk member, but a local, living in Yokohama. Possible to join up for a couple of the events, just to have some drinks and meet a few of you?
They're open to all! Welcome to the posting side of FlyerTalk after 8 years!
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:55 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flier John
I'm a Flyertalk member, but a local, living in Yokohama. Possible to join up for a couple of the events, just to have some drinks and meet a few of you?
Of course! You'll be most welcome. I'll add you to the wiki post.

I'll start asking people to sign up for certain events, especially the Do Dinner since we need to make a reservation.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
I noticed I'm not on the list, I'll be there for thursday night and friday night! I probably can't make the other activities due to work I have there, but I'm excited to meet people!
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elliott44k
I noticed I'm not on the list, I'll be there for thursday night and friday night! I probably can't make the other activities due to work I have there, but I'm excited to meet people!
I’ve added you to the wiki post.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:10 am

Hello. I am an expat and have been living in Tokyo since 2015. I have been following Flyer Talk for years and I believe this is my first post. I noticed an event scheduled for early April in Japan. Not sure what Japan DO is all about but I am interested in attending several of the events posted and meeting members. How does one sign up? Is there any way I may be of assistance in making this event more enjoyable?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by svimonoff
Hello. I am an expat and have been living in Tokyo since 2015. I have been following Flyer Talk for years and I believe this is my first post. I noticed an event scheduled for early April in Japan. Not sure what Japan DO is all about but I am interested in attending several of the events posted and meeting members. How does one sign up? Is there any way I may be of assistance in making this event more enjoyable?
Welcome! NewbieRunner (the organizer) will provide instructions for how to sign up soon. For now, just post about your interest. I went ahead and added you to the wiki.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It will be a small group for meet and greet drinks on Thursday and with 3 people staying at Comfort Hotel Kanda, how about meeting at Mikkeller Kanda? They have tables on the third floor.
https://www.mikkellerkanda.jp
Sounds fine. I'm not sure what I'll be doing on Thursday (I might go to Disney Sea), so I'm a 'maybe' for drinks. I'm definitely planning to join all Friday and Saturday activities, and probably Sunday.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Question for the folks staying at the Comfort Hotel Kanda - have any of you stayed there before? My flight leaves April13 and my hotel is unavailable for points from April 10-13, so I am looking at hotels for that timeframe. I have booked a very nice one as backup, but later discovered it is somewhat inconvenient for public transportation. Thank you.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
What the hell is Comfort Hotel Kanda?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by svimonoff
It’s great to welcome long-standing FlyerTalkers joining their first DO (and posting here for the first time)!

A DO is a get-together of FlyerTalk members which may be just a few drinks or a dinner, as well as meet-ups lasting a few days with trips, visits to places of interest as well as drinks and meals in various parts of the world,

Japan Do was first held in March 2013 and annually over Easter weekend until 2019. Between 2020 and 2022 it had to be cancelled due to travel restrictions to Japan.

As ChrisFlyer66 has already said more details of events will be posted shortly with a chance to sign up where necessary.

Photos from the past Japan Dos may be found in this thread for anyone interested.
Virtual JAPAN DO !!!
pudgym29 and ChrisFlyer66 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cocobird
I have booked a very nice one as backup, but later discovered it is somewhat inconvenient for public transportation. Thank you.
Where is the hotel? Very few hotels in central Tokyo are inconvenient for public transportation.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Where is the hotel? Very few hotels in central Tokyo are inconvenient for public transportation.
When I requested the three extra days, I was advised my hotel could not extend the timeframe, and I was offered The Chinzanso Hotel. Didn't know anything about it except it was in central Tokyo, or so I was told. What I've looked at is Rome2Rio and Tripadvisor reviews, which seem to indicate some difficulties (not close to subway/trains, extended walking required uphill). It's in a residential neighborhood and looks beautiful. Was formerly a Four Seasons. Has extensive gardens and apparently is popular for weddings.

Last edited by cocobird; Mar 15, 2023 at 3:36 pm
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Question for the folks staying at the Comfort Hotel Kanda - have any of you stayed there before? My flight leaves April13 and my hotel is unavailable for points from April 10-13, so I am looking at hotels for that timeframe. I have booked a very nice one as backup, but later discovered it is somewhat inconvenient for public transportation. Thank you.
When I requested the three extra days, I was advised my hotel could not extend the timeframe, and I was offered The Chinzanso Hotel. Didn't know anything about it except it was in central Tokyo, or so I was told. What I've looked at is Rome2Rio and Tripadvisor reviews, which seem to indicate some difficulties (not close to subway/trains, extended walking required uphill). It's in a residential neighborhood and looks beautiful. Was formerly a Four Seasons. Has extensive gardens and apparently is popular for weddings.
cocobird Comfort Hotel Kanda (which apparently appears to be the same brand as Comfort Inn in the US) looks very close to trains via Kanda Station (on the Yamanote Line - the main and very easy loop around Tokyo - as well as multiple other lines) - personally, it doesn't look very nice and only gets 3.8 stars on Google reviews, which seems low to me.

The Chinzanso definitely looks nicer but does appear further from train stations and the train stations it is close-ish to have direct access to fewer lines.
cocobird likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
What the hell is Comfort Hotel Kanda?
Kanda is a city district of Tokyo, northeast of the Tokyo Imperial Palace.

I managed to snag the last available points booking for April 8-10. I haven't stayed but I heard about it from Nomadic.Relief, who I met at the recent SAN DO. There just aren't a lot of affordable options that Saturday, so I was pretty happy to get something for 8,000 choice points/night. From what I've heard, it is very basic, but it is clean, in a good location, and has a pretty good free breakfast for a 3 star hotel.
cocobird likes this.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 15, 2023 at 8:20 pm
Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Let’s put it this way. I wouldn’t try to compare Chinzanso with Comfort Hotel Kanda. Chinzanso was a garden and a mansion belonging to Japanese nobility. Comfort Hotel Kanda has rooms which are 13-16 square meters in size. This link gives you a virtual tour of one of the rooms.
https://goo.gl/maps/PkoCbs5oDJKwiF7a6

Apart from the night of 8 April hotel availability in central Tokyo isn’t too bad, actually better than when I checked a few weeks ago.
cocobird and ChrisFlyer66 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.