Japan Do 2023 - Tokyo - 6-9 April 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pudgym29
List of Events

Thursday 6 April 7pm - Meet and Greet Drinks - Mikkeller Kanda (see post #67)
Friday 7 April - Walking tour of Ueno Park, Kappabashi shopping street and Asakusa with an optional water bus trip down the Sumida River (see post #76)
Friday 7 April 7-9pm - Official Do Dinner - Kakoiya, 7-9-20 Ginza, Tokyo (see post #73)
Saturday 8 April - Day trip to Okutama (mountainous area of western Tokyo), a short hike along Hatonosu Gorge and a cablecar ride up Mt Mitake (929m) (see post #75)
Sunday 9 April - Explore Shibamata in northeastern Tokyo (see post #106)

Do Dinner Attendees - No further changes please
A table has been booked for the 9 people listed below for the Do Dinner on Friday 7 April. Details in post #73. Late cancellations and no shows will be charged in full.

NewbieRunner
ClaudiSTR
cocobird
chrisflyer66
nomadic.relief
TravelKane
elliott44k
firstglobal
pudgym29

Attendees:

cocobird - Comfort Hotel Kanda (8 days Wed to Thur)
NewbieRunner - Remm Hibiya
beckoa (arrive Fri pm)
beckoa+1 (arrive Fri pm)
nomadic.relief - Comfort Hotel Kanda
TravelKane - Westin
ClaudiSTR - Friday evening to Sunday noon, Courtyard Tokyo Station
ChrisFlyer66 - Hilton Shinjuku Wed-Sat, Comfort Hotel Kanda Sat-Monday
tuchop
BigRedBears - Comfort Hotel Kanda
lowjhg (part of the DO)
Flier John - local
elliott44k (Thurs & Fri evening)
svimonoff - local
firstglobal - Courtyard Ginza
pudgym29 - Shimbashi
bpe - local-ish (Thursday evening)

Print Wikipost

Japan Do 2023 - Tokyo - 6-9 April 2023

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by cocobird
I am looking for a gift suggestion. Since I am flying into Japan a few days before the Do, I have arranged for a volunteer Japanese guide to show me a few things (we are skipping anything the Do covers). I would like to bring her something in appreciation from the US, but am unsure what would be unique, appreciated, legal, etc. Any thoughts?
My wife and her friends tend to be fans of unique snacks from Whole Foods/Trader Joes (just walk into Whole Foods on Oahu and watch the madness). This one has been a big winner with them along with some nice crackers and mascarpone
Amazon Amazon

A simpler and maybe safer option would be some nice high end chocolate. You’re in NorCal - if east bay I think Bittersweet in Oakland might have good stuff
cocobird likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Dang I do love Japan DO! Tragically can't make it.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:16 pm

One month to go!

Booked myself a refundable last-flight-of-the-day award flight from Town-Next-To-Nowhere-BC as I started to get skittish with only once daily flights out of current Nowhere BC departure that I wouldn't get to YVR in time. At least now if that one gets cancelled, I can beg someone to drive me 3 hours in likely less than favourable conditions to the next closest airport that flies more frequently/cancels less often (begging with cash in hand of course). Can anyone tell that I really want to make it back to Japan?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:39 pm

I'll be in japan during the DO dates, but in a completely different city!

Will try to make a day trip happen during the main DO activities.

Currently booked at the Hyatt Regency Osaka.
NewbieRunner and ChrisFlyer66 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I went ahead and created a wiki based on what people have posted in the thread. Feel free to update your own status; some people posted in the thread but didn't indicate if they are actually attending or not, so I wasn't sure. If you don't have wiki-editing privileges, feel free to send me a PM and I will update it for you.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:20 pm

Hi guys,
Looking forward to yet another edition of Japan DO.

Planning to fly in few days early and will likely stay few days after the DO, TBD based on flight availability. The idea is to either do some day trips from Tokyo or check out a secondary / tertiary area, maybe Shizuoka?

While in Tokyo I plan to do some DIY craft beer hops and explore some cognac / whisk(e)y bars.

Also doing CI Tokyo Kanda.

p.s. is early April too late for some skiing in Nagano or elsewhere?
NewbieRunner and ChrisFlyer66 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
I'll be in Tokyo on Tueday April 4th, and have arranged for a volunteer guide on Wednesday April 5th who plans to take me through the East Garden of the Imperial Palace, Shinjuku Garden, and the Meiji Jingu Shrine. I shared the Do's schedule with her, and she built her plan around it to avoid duplication. If anyone else is interested in joining me, please let me know and I'll ask her whether that's okay. Since she is a volunteer, her expenses are covered by the participants (transportation, entrance fees, meals if any, etc.) Since it's my first visit to Japan/Tokyo, I thought this was a good way to get acquainted with the city, the subway network, and a bit of local flavor.

The experience of getting the guide was quite interesting. There is a local group that takes applications and the guides choose to volunteer based on the aps. Apparently very popular group because they could not accommodate everyone who applied during the pre-Covid days. I learned of the group through some of my friends/relatives who were shown around by the volunteers.
Majuki and ChrisFlyer66 like this.

Last edited by cocobird; Mar 14, 2023 at 4:53 am Reason: typos
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:33 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Also doing CI Tokyo Kanda.
It will be a small group for meet and greet drinks on Thursday and with 3 people staying at Comfort Hotel Kanda, how about meeting at Mikkeller Kanda? They have tables on the third floor.
https://www.mikkellerkanda.jp

p.s. is early April too late for some skiing in Nagano or elsewhere?
Not if you choose the right resort.
https://www.powderhounds.com/site/De...Statistics.pdf
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
If anyone else is interested in joining me, please let me know and I'll ask her whether that's okay.
I'm currently scheduled to arrive on the April 5th. I might be up for an evening activity if everything is on time and I'm not too tired.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 12:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Cherry blossoms in Tokyo have begun blooming — the earliest such development since records began in 1953 — the Meteorological Agency announced Tuesday.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...soms-blooming/

There may still be a chance to view cherry blossoms in Okutama.

Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It will be a small group for meet and greet drinks on Thursday and with 3 people staying at Comfort Hotel Kanda, how about meeting at Mikkeller Kanda? They have tables on the third floor.
https://www.mikkellerkanda.jp
If I'm not too tired or too lost, love to join you. What time? How would I ever recognize anyone?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majuki
I'm currently scheduled to arrive on the April 5th. I might be up for an evening activity if everything is on time and I'm not too tired.
Moxy Kinshicho used to be my go-to hotel in Tokyo. It’s in an “interesting” area but I’ve introduced the hotel to a few FTer friends from Europe and they liked it.

If I'm not too tired or too lost, love to join you. What time? How would I ever recognize anyone?
We usually meet at 7pm but are flexible. I’ll post detailed instructions later but will try to put a printout of the FT logo on the table and a yellow FT luggage tag on a backpack.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Moxy Kinshicho used to be my go-to hotel in Tokyo. It’s in an “interesting” area but I’ve introduced the hotel to a few FTer friends from Europe and they liked it.
I normally stay near Shinagawa Station, but the Marriott and Prince Sakura were too expensive.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Can locals join?

I'm a Flyertalk member, but a local, living in Yokohama. Possible to join up for a couple of the events, just to have some drinks and meet a few of you?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
They'll be at post-peak by April 6, but still very much in bloom.
Recommend Meguro River as a quick and easy access for flower viewing.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.