Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:36 pm

Hi all
Although this is my first post on flyertalk, I'm quite active on a German forum. Anyway, I've been made aware of this event by flospi and I will also be in BNE during that weekend, would be happy to join you guys for at least the dinner and maybe a few activities - main purpose of my visit is to see relatives, so need to check what activities will be possible for me.

Thanks
koeby
FLYGVA, flospi, kirkwoodj and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:16 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by koeby
Hi all
Although this is my first post on flyertalk, I'm quite active on a German forum. Anyway, I've been made aware of this event by flospi and I will also be in BNE during that weekend, would be happy to join you guys for at least the dinner and maybe a few activities - main purpose of my visit is to see relatives, so need to check what activities will be possible for me.

Thanks
koeby
Welcome aboard.
We always have people that attend 1 or a few activities. That's OK
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:07 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
For the record:
Flights and accomodation booked.

Sunday 10th May VA741 MEL-OOL
Train from Gold Coast to Brisbane on Friday 22nd May
Monday 25th May VA177 BNE-NAN
Staying at BNE HH

We are arriving several weeks early as I have an RAAF Pilots Course reunion on the Gold Coast prior to Oz Fest
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:07 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
If you didn't already know, Will passed away last week in NZ. Will and his wife, Christy, mostly organised Ozfest 12 in the Bay of Islands in 2015. Will you will be missed! RIP.

RIP @wijomas
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by boxo
Flights are booked. Please add me +1 as Platinum.
NZ205 CHC Fri 15:40 22-May BNE Fri 17:55 22-May
FI920 BNE Wed 11:35 27-May NAN Wed 17:10 27-May

Currently booked at Mantra Midtown 22-25 May.
Oz Fest likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: QFF Platinum
Flights and accomodation booked.
Friday QF616 Arriving 14:30
Monday QF621 Departing 13:15
Staying at BNE Hilton
Oz Fest likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My Qantas flights from/to SFO have been cancelled today. If you have an international segment on Qantas, check their press release. Alaska has not received any notice from Qantas yet so basically in limbo until that happens.

QANTAS GROUP UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE

Last edited by tom911; Mar 9, 2020 at 5:47 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:39 pm

I assume if I use my PNR on Qantas and all looks okay there I should be fine? My reward has 2 AS segments before the QF one and for some reason QF only displays the SEA-SFO-BNE leg. The first AS YVR-SEA shows up only on AS, but that's been the case since day 1. Will definitely be keeping a closer eye on this, thank you @tom911!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I assume if I use my PNR on Qantas and all looks okay there I should be fine? My reward has 2 AS segments before the QF one and for some reason QF only displays the SEA-SFO-BNE leg. The first AS YVR-SEA shows up only on AS, but that's been the case since day 1. Will definitely be keeping a closer eye on this, thank you @tom911!
From the QF link "Brisbane-San Francisco Route suspended (3 return flights per week) Effective dates 18 April "
Will take QF-AS-AA some time to accommodate passengers
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I assume if I use my PNR on Qantas and all looks okay there I should be fine?
I wouldn't assume that. I checked both of my flights on Expert Flyer and they were still listed as operating with zero inventory in all fare classes. Until they take it off the schedule, all may appear well. They may just need a day or two to catch up here and notify Alaska. The agent I spoke with there didn't know anything about Qantas schedule changes.
Mwenenzi and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Thumbs down Downgrade to Bronze

Will have to downgrade to Bronze this year...have fun everyone, hope to make it for Oz Fest 18.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:07 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have - again to - rebook and rearrange my flight due to cancelation and missed connection. In addition, I now need a overnight transfer in Hong Kong, which is not possible anymore, because Hong Kong issued a ban for passengers from the federal state of North Rhine Westphalia (https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html). I am looking into my options and it is still more than two months to go before my trips starts. But as of now, I fear, there might be even more restrictions.

I will see, what I can do. But as I have booked Premium-Economy to Perth my options are limited if BA does not offer the flexibility of another destination. I might see some possibilities, if Qantas opens up Premium-Economy out of Perth. This just as an update. As of now, I plan to be there, but I am not sure anymore. Minor problem, I also face some problems in two of my projects and simply have not the time to spend hours on hold calling BA / CX.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 10, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I wouldn't assume that. I checked both of my flights on Expert Flyer and they were still listed as operating with zero inventory in all fare classes. Until they take it off the schedule, all may appear well. They may just need a day or two to catch up here and notify Alaska. The agent I spoke with there didn't know anything about Qantas schedule changes.
Thanks, I am just an idiot and misread the suspension as a decrease to 3/week. Will look at flying in a day early or late via LAX I guess. I did see a SFO-SYD "pending gov't" approval or an Ethiad option, but I'd rather not add more complications. There is a direct AC option, I hate the $500 in extra fees, but it's starting to have appeal.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The Australian Government has imposed a two week self isolation criteria for all on entry to Australia.

There is no end date but I believe it is to be reviewed weekly.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...ralia/12057772

Anyone arriving in Australia from overseas will to be forced to self-isolate for 14 days, the Prime Minister has announced.Scott Morrison says the new measure will be in place from midnight (AEDT) as the Federal Government deals with the coronavirus outbreak.

Mr Morrison says international cruise ships will also be banned from docking in Australia for 30 days.

Australians are also being advised to practice more "social distancing", including not shaking hands with other people.

Mr Morrison says the new advice was agreed upon at today's national Cabinet meeting.

He says his ministers will also be meeting via video-link as a precaution.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:48 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

New Zealand has a similar 14 day self isolation policy for those arriving in NZ. That will effect some coming via NZ or returning to NZ, if the policy is still in effect at the Oz Fest dates
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...-15-march.html

Also flights USA<---->Aust/NZ are being reduced a lot at this time. AA will stop flying USA<---> Aust/NZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.