Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
New Zealand has a similar 14 day self isolation policy for those arriving in NZ. That will effect some coming via NZ or returning to NZ, if the policy is still in effect at the Oz Fest dates
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...-15-march.html

Also flights USA<---->Aust/NZ are being reduced a lot at this time. AA will stop flying USA<---> Aust/NZ
The NZ policy is currently 'til June 30th but that will be reviewed before then.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 15, 2020 at 1:22 am
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
a North American perspective

Like many other NA-based FTs, we are concerned about what all this means for OZ Fest...........
The 14-day self isolation is bad enough. We are not in the country that long! Moreover, CA gov't policy says we must self isolate for 14 days on our return. We are in the midst of that now - coming back from Austria - and its no fun. Very stressful.
At this point, I have to hope that AC cancels its flights to/from Australia. I have no doubt that ANZ will do so. AC? Doubtful?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

With the recent changes, I have decided to wait and do not do anything right now. This means I am neither cancel nor try to rebook any of my flights right now. I have flexible bookings for hotels. I will however not book a flight from BNE to SYD right now.

I have friends in Australia, so there are a couple of reason to go to Downunder. This means, I can live with every decision the OZ Fest organisation team feels it has to do. I am still looking forward to it, but can fully understand when priorities have shifted in the last couple of days. It is a tough time right now and I for myself have on this Sunday afternoon here in Germany not the slightest idea what the situation will be tomorrow in my office (working for the government of my federal state). There are currently for many of use more important things to do ...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:56 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Oz Fest 17 BNE 2020 is postponed

Due to the Covid-19 ~ Coronavirus pandemic, travel and gathering restrictions we have decided to postpone Oz Fest 17 BNE 2020.

Currently we have 45 who are Platinum. 20 are from Australia, 12 from USA, 3 from Canada, 6 from New Zealand and 4 from EU.

Australian government policy is 14 days self isolation on entry into the country. Current restrictions last for 30 days from when they were announced a few days ago. Very likely will be extended, possibly for ~ 6 months, and may be harder or more restrictions to come. So many would need to do 14 days self isolation on entry to Australia and those from New Zealand/Canada 14 days on return to New Zealand/Canada.

Enquires with restaurants in Brisbane for group bookings for our dates have not been encouraging.

Airlines have been reducing capacity significantly. Qantas by 100% internationally from end of March until end of May. Virgin Australia to cease international flights 30 March to 14 June, with some VA international flights before that. Other airlines into Australia have similar or greater reductions.

Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021
Oz Fest 17 2021 will be held in Brisbane from Friday 28th May to Sunday 30th May 2021 (US Memorial day weekend).
The new thread for Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021 will be posted towards the end of July September October November 2020. In part due the QF announcement of 25 June 2020 that it is not expecting international flights until mid 2021, other than possibly AU-NZ.

Keep safe and hopefully next year will be better for travel.
tom911, Bundy Bear, QF WP and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Oz Fest; Oct 28, 2020 at 1:48 pm Reason: Oz Fest 17 2021 thread start
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Very sad that it has to be this way but there are no other real options.

Here is looking forward to 2021.
tom911, restlessinRNO and Fredd like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
This would have been a great year to come over with the Aussie dollar down to 58 cents today, but completely understand why you need to cancel and not at all unexpected with world events. Thank you to everyone in the background that was still trying to make this year's gathering fall into place. Expect I'll still be over later in the year and able to catch up with some of you then. My county here in the Bay Area just went to "shelter in place" an hour ago for at least the next 3 weeks. Looking forward to 2021.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:26 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Australia has announced a travel ban on all non-residents and non-Australian citizens coming into Australia from 9:00pm AEDT on Friday 20 March. New Zealand also announced the same restrictions.
The duration of this restriction unknown at this time, but will be weeks/months
Some non citizens/residents will get caught by this if they are in en-route. (~28 hours from now)
Link---> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...-news/12068750
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:19 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
As we have non refundable tickets to Brisbane from Sydney, unless the airline cancels or there is some further pandemic disaster, we will still go to Bne for that weekend, and maybe we can organise a dinner somewhere (if social isolation rules allow). Should a separate thread for this (if any interest) be spun off from this one?
Bundy Bear and JessicaTam like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kpc
As we have non refundable tickets to Brisbane from Sydney, unless the airline cancels or there is some further pandemic disaster, we will still go to Bne for that weekend, and maybe we can organise a dinner somewhere (if social isolation rules allow). Should a separate thread for this (if any interest) be spun off from this one?
Which airline? Qantas will let you cancel any flight up to 31st May and put it into a credit voucher at no fee as long as you do it by 31st March.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:25 am
kpc

Originally Posted by serfty
Which airline? Qantas will let you cancel any flight up to 31st May and put it into a credit voucher at no fee as long as you do it by 31st March.
the other one.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Jetstar ??

Originally Posted by kpc
the other one.
I just rec'd a credit voucher offer from Jetstar. Is that the other airline ??
(I cannot imagine its targetted to non OZ nationals?)
My concern is what if Jetstar goes bankrupt as a result?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:59 am
kpc

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I just rec'd a credit voucher offer from Jetstar. Is that the other airline ??
(I cannot imagine its targetted to non OZ nationals?)
My concern is what if Jetstar goes bankrupt as a result?
Va
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kpc
Va
VA are making it easy to get $$$ refunds, but you should at least be able to get the $$$ into your 'travel bank' since the flight is before 30th June.

https://travel.virginaustralia.com/a...fre|covid19|na

Then again, Brisvegas is generally not be a bad way to get away for a weekend.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
I have flights to BNE and accomodation booked. I will keep them for now in case we can manage a 'locals' dinner a la kpc.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Memorial Day's a long way away... if the quarantine-on-entry requirement for US pax is lifted and my flights operate (two big "if"s), I still hope to show up. But will see how the situation evolves...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.