Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BOB W
I spent a few days with Monitor, Franny & BDNYC in South Dakota last month. ...
SoDak has wine worth going there to taste? 🍷🍷
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
No such luck. However, it does have some magnificent and historic scenery in the Black Hills and the Bad Lands. It is absolutely worth the trip but do not think that you will find much in the way of good hotels and restaurants.

On thread topic, I seem to have read somewhere that the Aussie government has extended the border closing well into 2021, late enough to torpedo next year's Oz Fest. Any confirmations?
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jrl767
Costco has very good wine that I took with me on my drive from Denver to Rapid City. Denver has the closest Costco to Rapid City. It's only 330 miles away.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 4:39 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by monitor

On thread topic, I seem to have read somewhere that the Aussie government has extended the border closing well into 2021, late enough to torpedo next year's Oz Fest. Any confirmations?
Hi Bob,
I don't like the chances of you and Franny getting to Ozfest next May! Regards to you both and stay safe and well. Kevin
“International travel, including by tourists and international students, is assumed to remain largely closed off until late next year and then gradually return over time, and a vaccine to be available around the end of 2021 is one of the assumptions in the budget,” he told the National Press Club on Wednesday.
https://7news.com.au/travel/treasure...year-c-1370629
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
falconea , I came across you in a US bag maker's forum tonight while searching for 2007-ish information. Our small worlds collide.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
According to God Save the Points, Qantas has removed all flights between Australia and the US until October 2021. I hope to be at the Oz Fest in 2022.
Governator likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Although new Qantas bookings to London and the USA can no longer be made through to late October 2021, the flights themselves have not been cancelled and existing bookings remain active.

While this provides Qantas with the flexibility to reinstate sales in the unlikely event that conditions change, it also officially precludes would-be passengers from claiming a refund from the airline.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...o-october-2021
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:13 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021

The new thread for Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021 will be started sometime in the coming weeks. We have been waiting for more clarity on the Australian international border and state borders. However in Australia and worldwide the Covid-19 situation is for ever changing, with no end in sight. No one knows what the Covid-19 situation will be in May 2021.

At the date of this post, Australia is closed to most international visitors, with no published date as to when the international border will reopen. NZ citizens and NZ permanent residents can enter NSW, SA & NT directly from New Zealand (~the NZ to AU one-way bubble). Currently a 14 day hotel quarantine, at own expense, is required for people entering Australia, except those from NZ who can enter quarantine free. Some other AU travel bubbles with low risk countries may open up in the following months.

The Australian international border will be tightly controlled while Covid-19 is a risk. There is a possibility and/or probability that Australia will not be open to people from all or some countries in May 2021. And that Queensland may not be open to some or all interstate visitors.

Some AU state borders are slowly opening and state quarantine restrictions easing, but not for all people. Hopefully this will improve over the coming months. The QLD state election (31 Oct 2020) and the WA state election (March 2021) has/will have an effect on state border openings.

Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021 may end up being an event only for Australian and New Zealand residents or not happen due to AU/QLD government restrictions. Anyone making bookings would be best to have 100% refundable or extremely minimal cash penalty for cancellation.

07 Oct 2020 (news.com.au) ---> Grim forecast about when you can travel overseas
<snip>
Speaking to the National Press Club on Wednesday, Josh Frydenberg said international borders would likely remain “largely closed off until late next year”.
<snip>
Originally Posted by cocobird
According to God Save the Points, Qantas has removed all flights between Australia and the US until October 2021. I hope to be at the Oz Fest in 2022.
QF are not taking bookings, but the flights have not yet been cancelled. QF have been progressively doing this for future flights.
Qantas will have the (unofficial) ear of AU government bureaucrats & politicians as the opening of the AU international border.

30 Oct 2020 (ExecTrav AU)----> Qantas closes bookings on US, UK flights to Oct 2021
Old Nov 2, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
thanks for the update

Thanks for the update and assessment.
I have re-booked for 2021 on AC. But they are not currently operating to/from BNE so I am prepared to cancel if need be ?
While its your call, I (for one) question the wisdom of holding an only Kiwi/OZ DO ?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 5:34 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Thanks for the update and assessment.
I have re-booked for 2021 on AC. But they are not currently operating to/from BNE so I am prepared to cancel if need be?
While its your call, I (for one) question the wisdom of holding an only Kiwi/OZ DO ?
When we postponed on 19 March we had 45 signed up as Platinum. 20 from Australia, 12 from USA, 3 from Canada, 6 from New Zealand and 4 from EU. Nearer to event date we tend to have people from AU-NZ signing up. Locals have signed up as Platinum the day before its starts.
kpc and doug_westcott like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:12 am
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Oz Fest 17 2021 thread now live---->Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 28 to May 30, 2021
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
I wonder what the chances are that non-OZ'ers will be allowed in country by then. We should have the vaccine available well before this date.
boxo likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:45 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

off topic

Originally Posted by BOB W
I wonder what the chances are that non-OZ'ers will be allowed in country by then. We should have the vaccine available well before this date.
Please ask such questions in the AU Covid-19 - Border thread ---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...-15-march.html
Thanks
on topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.