Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Fredd
Kathy and I will toast the 2020 Oz Fest that never was with a glass of Shiraz and hope to see old friends and new in 2021.
I will join you with a glass, Australian Shiraz, and hope the world returns to normal soon.
kpc, JohnSydney2000, Fredd and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I will join you with a glass, Australian Shiraz, and hope the world returns to normal soon.
Friday evening and no Ozfest.
Sad to be missing seeing friends this weekend.
Strangely I am drinking a New Zealand white wine.
RestlessinRNO you better plan to turn up next year.
Australian borders are closed to non Australians and in Queensland our borders as closed to all bar Queensland residents and those with a border pass.
I hope we can catch up in person in 2021, and in the mean time I will have to keep in contact with you all via online.
tom911, restlessinRNO and Fredd like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
view from Canada

I agree! As a confirmed participant, I can't wait to get back to Brisbane. I urge the organizers to post details ASAP?
For now, I am left dealing with more cancellations and vouchers than I can remember. CA FTs even have a virtual DO. Meets weekly!
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Kathy and I will toast the 2020 Oz Fest that never was with a glass of Shiraz and hope to see old friends and new in 2021.
It's 8 AM in cloudy, rainy & cool Anchorage, Alaska, so a bit early to be drinking wine. Tonight, however, I will be toasting Ozfest with a glass of 2011 Vasse Felix Classic Dry Red. It's one of two bottles I have left from my trips down under.
Old May 23, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Day 2 in Brisbane and the weather was awful, very little rain but very cold; didn't make 60F it was a cold and cloudy day in Brisbane has been the coldest May day in Brisbane for almost 100 years.
The cold day was probably caused because no planes were flying to cause global warming.
Usual days in Brisbane are sunrise at 6:30am and sunset just after 5pm with temperatures between 50F and 70F.
Tonight I am drinking a South Australian red, from Rockfords in South Australia.
It feels weird to be in this alternative universe.
restlessinRNO and SEA777GUY like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:47 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I missed Ozfest 16 in SYD last year and this year's Ozfest 17 in BNE has caught a nasty virus. Hope to catchup with everyone in Bne next May. As I will be doing absolutely no flying this year, I have taken the opportunity to renovate my house which has been long overdue. Stay safe everyone!
Old May 23, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Day 2 in Brisbane and the weather was awful, very little rain but very cold; didn't make 60F it was a cold and cloudy day in Brisbane has been the coldest May day in Brisbane for almost 100 years.
The cold day was probably caused because no planes were flying to cause global warming.
Usual days in Brisbane are sunrise at 6:30am and sunset just after 5pm with temperatures between 50F and 70F.
Tonight I am drinking a South Australian red, from Rockfords in South Australia.
It feels weird to be in this alternative universe.
Wow - That is chilly. For Queensland too. You are right - where is global warming?
Old May 23, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Wow - That is chilly. For Queensland too. You are right - where is global warming?
The Australian state of Queensland has closed it border to the other state - it mus be also keeping the warming out as well - although it was not much better in Carrum (Melbourne suburb we call home).

Originally Posted by BOB W
It's 8 AM in cloudy, rainy & cool Anchorage, Alaska, so a bit early to be drinking wine. Tonight, however, I will be toasting Ozfest with a glass of 2011 Vasse Felix Classic Dry Red. It's one of two bottles I have left from my trips down under.
Last night I consumed some good robust Aussie shiraz - will complete it tonight.

There always Facebook reminders of OzFest as a couple of friends who are regular participants have often celebrated their May Birthdays during Ozfest ...
Bundy Bear and Fredd like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just ticketed my Qantas flights for OzFest in 2021. Qantas released a boatload of business award seats today from/to the U.S. in May/early June for those with AA or Alaska miles. For those that are Alaska flyers, the 55K one way business class award does allow a free stopover in Australia in both directions, so be sure to take advantage of that.
serfty, FlyerEC, kirkwoodj and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
2021 OZ Fest ?

Before re-booking, I would like to see/hear more from the organizers about the prospects thiat OZ Fest be a go for 2021?
I know Qantas has suspended their int'l flights until March, 2021. I have also followed the hard lockdown in Melbourne. Is this localized, or likely to spread?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:29 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oz Fest
Oz Fest 17 BNE 2020 is postponed
<snip>
.Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021
Oz Fest 17 2021 will be held in Brisbane from Friday 28th May to Sunday 30th May 2021 (US Memorial day weekend).
The new thread for Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021 will be posted towards the end of July September 2020. In part due the QF announcement of 25 June 2020 that it is not expecting international flights until mid 2021, other than possibly AU-NZ.

Keep safe and hopefully next year will be better for travel.
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Before re-booking, I would like to see/hear more from the organizers about the prospects that OZ Fest be a go for 2021?
I know Qantas has suspended their int'l flights until March, 2021. I have also followed the hard lockdown in Melbourne. Is this localized, or likely to spread?
Our crystal ball is tarnished and not working at this time.
No-one has any idea what Covid-19 will be and what travel to/from and in Australia will be in May 2021 (~9 months away).
Australia (& NZ) will have very tight border controls while Covid-19 is a risk.
Any one making bookings would be best to have 100% refundable or extremely minimal cash penalty for cancellation.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
The fates must want me to give it a try, I snagged a 60K AA Biz Web Special PHL-LAX-SYD, 787 the whole way. So we will wait and see with the rest of the world.
kirkwoodj and ChrisFlyer66 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:05 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Our crystal ball is tarnished and not working at this time.
No-one has any idea what Covid-19 will be and what travel to/from and in Australia will be in May 2021 (~9 months away).
Any one making bookings would be best to have 100% refundable or extremely minimal cash penalty for cancellation.
Right now even Sydneysiders can't visit Brisbane, nevermind OS visitors who are banned from entering Australia. At the rate we are going, Ozfest in May 2021 will be lucky just to have Aussie attendees!! .
Old Sep 5, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kpc
Right now even Sydneysiders can't visit Brisbane, nevermind OS visitors who are banned from entering Australia. At the rate we are going, Ozfest in May 2021 will be lucky just to have Aussie attendees!! .
Maybe it will be OzFest Zoom Edition.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:52 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Oz Fest 17 BNE 2020 is postponed
<snip>
Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021
Oz Fest 17 2021 will be held in Brisbane from Friday 28th May to Sunday 30th May 2021 (US Memorial day weekend).
The new thread for Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021 will be posted towards the end of July September 2020
<snip>l.
264 days to Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021

No-one has any idea what Covid-19 will be and what travel to/from and in Australia will be in May 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.