Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 17 Brisbane, Australia. USA Memorial Day Wknd May 22-24, 2020 [Postponed]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
264 days to Oz Fest 17 BNE 2021

No-one has any idea what Covid-19 will be and what travel to/from and in Australia will be in May 2021.
Australia (& NZ) will have very tight border controls while Covid-19 is a risk.
Any one making bookings would be best to have 100% refundable or extremely minimal cash penalty for cancellation.
Coincidentally, Kathy has been monitoring available flights through our AS account and just this morning snagged two award seats on QF SFO-BNE outbound May 25 2021.

Despite attending the past 13 consecutive Oz Fests, this would be our first time ever on QF over the water. Maybe that's a good omen.
tom911 and Bundy Bear like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I found a J award for AUS-LAX-BNE departing on May 26, 2021. QF 787 on LAX-BNE. Considering the scarcity of Qantas J awards on USA-Australia flights, I hope that is a sign of things to come
Oz Fest likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
Coincidentally, Kathy has been monitoring available flights through our AS account and just this morning snagged two award seats on QF SFO-BNE outbound May 25 2021.

Despite attending the past 13 consecutive Oz Fests, this would be our first time ever on QF over the water. Maybe that's a good omen.
Originally Posted by Austin787
I found a J award for AUS-LAX-BNE departing on May 26, 2021. QF 787 on LAX-BNE. Considering the scarcity of Qantas J awards on USA-Australia flights, I hope that is a sign of things to come
While QF may be selling flights and making awards available they may not fly. While other airlines (UA, DL, QR, NZ and others) are still flying to Australia, QF have chosen not to fly international routes, even with a reduced schedule.
Fredd likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:11 pm

Further to Mwenenzi's notes: Qantas has pulled most international flights from its schedule and the GDS from late September 2020 through to late March 2021 (basically, duration of IATA 'northern winter' period) so they can't be booked, although they're yet to officially be marked as cancelled; flights past late March 2021 remain open for booking at the moment but I would be very surprised if many of these did not get the same treatment, eg at one stage be shuttered from new bookings although current bookings held, and then at a later date be cancelled entirely.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Qantas just loaded two business class award seats BNE-SFO for Sunday, May 30, for anyone interested. I'm flying home the following day.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Qantas just loaded two business class award seats BNE-SFO for Sunday, May 30, for anyone interested. I'm flying home the following day.
We just picked up two business class award seats BNE-SFO for Tuesday, June 1, and then onward to SEA on AS.

Keeping Mwenenzi's comments in mind, we'll now wait to see the actual situation in May 2021.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Qantas ?

Qantas now says it won't restart int'l flights until July 2021:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...19%20pandemic.
What does Qantas know that we don't?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've rebooked my room at the Sofitel. Hopefully this time I will get to use it
Bundy Bear and Oz Fest like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I just booked accommodation.. Need to be optimistic and have something to look forward to!
boxo and Oz Fest like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Qantas now says it won't restart int'l flights until July 2021:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...19%20pandemic.

What does Qantas know that we don't?

Yes a strange world - who would want to be running an airline right now!

Fingers crossed by May it is all cleared up.

Emailed Monitor a couple days back and heard nothing back - maybe Bob's email has changed - hope all is well there?

Glen
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by ozstamps

Emailed Monitor a couple days back and heard nothing back - maybe Bob's email has changed - hope all is well there?

Glen
I spent a few days with Monitor, Franny & BDNYC in South Dakota last month. They are all doing well. We have all tested negative twice since then. BDNYC is spending his time (mostly) in upstate New York. Monitor & Franny are at their place in Florida, self quarantining, especially now since the governor has opened up the state completely.
kpc and JohnSydney2000 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite

Glen
I would certainly not expect to be flying from the US to Australia or NZ next May unless you're wanting a 14 day quarantine at your cost. Even if we do see a large scale worldwide rollout of a vaccine starting in Jan / Feb next year both countries are not going to simply open their borders up immediately.

I'd optimistically like to think free travel between all of Australia and NZ with no quarantine will be a reality by early 2021.
JohnSydney2000, boxo and Oz Fest like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
I spent a few days with Monitor, Franny & BDNYC in South Dakota last month. They are all doing well. We have all tested negative twice since then. BDNYC is spending his time (mostly) in upstate New York. Monitor & Franny are at their place in Florida, self quarantining, especially now since the governor has opened up the state completely.

Excellent news Bob - many thanks.

Do they still have those 100s of countdown road billboard signs to WallDrug along the highway in South Dakota? Talk about targeted marketing.

Glen
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Excellent news Bob - many thanks.

Do they still have those 100s of countdown road billboard signs to WallDrug along the highway in South Dakota? Talk about targeted marketing.

Glen
Yes, and according to one of the signs, there is one in Antarctica with that distance to Wall Drug. I was a bit disappointed that the "Free Ice Water" is self serve in a paper cup with ice & water out of a Coca Cola dispenser. FYI, the Crazy Horse monument make Mount Rushmore look

The image in the foreground is a model of the finished monument. BDNYC spotted the image in the background.
puny by comparison and it is only 10% done.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes that is one heck of a monument that Crazy Horse one carved out of a mountain ..... and all done with private money too I recall them saying. Very impressive vision by that family.

Maybe when OzFest runs out of cities here, a DakotaFest might make sense.

Anyway, lets hope by May things settle down. Right now we cannot fly to Queensland unless you self-quarantine, yet I read UA has started up direct SFO-Shanghai flights -- strange world.

Glen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.