Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ Fest 2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Attendee List So Far For "OZ FEST" - SYD May 2004 .... :-)

"OZ FEST 2004" - May 21-23 - SYDNEY

Reading through this thread I have attempted a rough listing of interest (in date order of expressing it!) which I will try and keep updated. ( *THIS UPDATE April 9* )

If I overlooked anyone, my apologies. Please email me or post here if you wish to be added, removed, or changed in category.

*DEFINITE*

Joh
ozstamps
chemist661
connex2me
QF WP
thadocta
cathanna
Any-Travel-Is-Good + 1
kawoh
Mwenenzi
franjelley
Kiwi Flyer
MRSTARALLIANCE
yyzprincess
OzTraveller
Dave Noble
ferrari
tmeyer
chrisreid
One Pass Lover

(21 starters!)

*DEFINITE MAYBES*

Spiff
Ski Adcock
Shareholder
willyroo
d00t
RichardMEL
KathyWdrf
Shareholder

*MAYBE*

tazi
DK_1KGal
Ldsant
chisinging
doc
RichG
michswiss
tinkybelle
prspad

------------------

Last edited by ozstamps; Apr 8, 2004 at 8:06 pm
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This morning I made a tentative booking for a "Flyertalk" group on Saturday morning 22 May (Had not seem Joh's post #116 when I made the phone call) They need 2 to 3 weeks notice, so they need a confirmation by 1 May. As above, a minium of 15 people is needed. No other bookings have been made by any members of the general public, so it could just be the Flyertalk group

Thanks Mwenenzi. Actually I do hope they are not getting confused in there now at Tarmac Tours? I have contacted them twice, and Joh has spent time with them on emails on this booking over the last month.

I felt sure that screwing them into a decent deal was always going to be possible, and did not want to broach this until we had some firmer numbers. I had always thought we'd be able to swing a bus exclusively for our group. As Punki and Hunki have just unfortunately just cancelled etc as we can see, this is hard to plan until closer to the day.

I do not mind one iota who co-ordinates all this, and arranges all pre-payments etc, but clearly it should be one party, not several.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 4:27 am

OZ Fest - activities wish list

Folks,

What's been suggested so far sounds all great. If I had a choice I would definitely opt for sailing and harbour bridge climb. Then again I'm easy and will happily go with the majority.

See you soon, and many thanks to those organising Oz fest!!!

Chris
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:01 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
We'll be down under May 25 till June 4.

It's our first visit to Australia. First three nights will be in Sydney (two nights at Fourpoints, one at W). Check out the cash&points offer for the Fourpoints; it's an incredible value! Then we'll fly to Adelaide, stay a night there and drive to Melbourne then (1 night in Kingston, Portland, Port Campbell). Then two nights in Geelong near Melbourne and one night in MEL.

Our flights are on Malaysia Airlines (eco... ) with a stopover in KUL on both ways.

If some of you will stay for a couple of days, it would be very nice to meet you in SYD or elsewhere!!!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 4:32 pm
Joh

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
SUGGESTIONS FOR OZFEST 2004: SYDNEY MAY 21-23
FRIDAY 21ST MAY, 8AM-5PM

If there is enough interest we can organise a (charter/private) tour of the Blue Mountains. Including lunch, cost is A$100pp*.
Visit Featherdale Wildlife Park. Hand feed kangaroos, pat koalas and see lots of other Australian wildlife. Lunch and a drink (included) in the heart of the mountains with spectacular views. Optional National Park walk to view spectacular Wentworth Falls. Visit the Three Sisters at Echo Point – hear the aboriginal story of this world famous rock formation. Walk through temperate rainforests. Throw a boomerang (weather permitting) and learn about Aboriginal culture. Visit the Scenic Skyway, Scenisender and the Steepest Railway in the world with time to do the rides (not included). See the mountain villages of Katoomba and Leura. Breath in the fresh mountain air as you view the huge valleys of Australia’s “Grand Canyon” – the Megalong and Jamieson Valleys. Travel on the spectacular scenic cliff top drive. Get of the beaten track – visit Sublime Point for the best untouched lookout in the Blue Mountains (only small group sizes are permitted here). Enjoy afternoon tea (included) in a relaxed country setting. Cross the picturesque Nepean River. Finish your enjoyable trip by taking a river cruise (included) from Homebush Bay down the Parramatta River and into Sydney Harbour. See the waterfront properties and enjoy the unique views as you go under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and cruise into Sydney Harbour. See the Sydney Opera House close up before arriving at Circular Quay where your tour finishes.

FRIDAY 21st MAY, 11am-4pm
Alternatively, I can look into a (charter) sailing trip on Sydney Harbour - weather permitting. Limited 'seats', unless we secure a Maxi...
Cost will be approx. A$100pp, excluding lunch and BYO drinks. We’ll go where the wind takes us and either lunch at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia or p/u lunch from the Sydney Fish Markets. Bring your swimmers and plenty of blockout! Not for the faint-hearted if the wind is up!

FRIDAY 21st MAY, 7.30-10pm
2000 Starlight Dinner Cruise. Cost A$65/75pp*.
Sydney’s most affordable way to dine afloat, set against the brilliant backdrop of Sydney by night. Includes quality 2 or 3 course Contemporary Australian a la carte dining and coffee. Spectacular star gazing from the spacious Star Deck!

SATURDAY 22nd MAY, 10am-12pm
Sydney Airport Tarmac Tour (charter). Cost A$30pp*.
Visit the Other Side of the Fence! Sydney Airport Airside Tarmac Tour is an Australian first and was possibly the first tour of its kind in the world. The tour brings the airport and its operations to the people by taking them inside the perimeter fence, or AIRSIDE at Sydney Airport. It allows you access to see the various activities that go on behind the scenes at Australia’s busiest airport. The tour takes you to both the International and Domestic apron areas with the bus stopping in the middle of the airfield to watch aircraft take off and land whilst listening into the control tower. During the trip we visit all the points of interest, also getting the chance to view various jet aircraft up close and see the inner workings of this dynamic hub as it goes about its daily business… The duration of the tour takes from 90min to 2hrs, depending on aircraft movement. The commentary continually informs us of aircraft types, landing and take off procedures, safety and security aspects – A trip that informs, excites and astounds…

SATURDAY 22nd MAY, 12.30-3pm
Lunch in Brighton-le-Sands.
Located across Botany Bay we should find a place here where we can watch the Airport activities. Cost/Place TBA.
Any Suggestions? The restaurant at the Novotel is an option; it’s on the 3rd floor and overlooks the runway… I made an inquiry and a set lunch comes to A$39pp excluding drinks.

OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES FOR THE AFTERNOON:
Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb: A three and a half hour guided climb to the summit of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Enjoy in total safety the exhilaration and satisfaction of climbing Sydney’s icon. Feel like you’re almost on top of the Sydney Opera House and watch while boats, trains, cars and pedestrians travel below your wonderful vantage point. This is a very popular attraction, so book as early as possible. At midday (A$175) or twilight (A$225).
Sydney Harbour Jet Tour: See Sydney harbour from a different perspective. Enjoy the thrills of a jet boat ride while taking in the sights of world famous Sydney Harbour. Packages range from a 35min “Jet Blast” to a 1hr20min “Middle Harbour Adventure”. A 50min tour costs A$50. You’ll get the chance to experience 270 degree spins, wild fishtails and power brake stops at 75km/h.
Sydney Harbour Highlights Cruise: The best value for money, first class cruise in Sydney, specially designed for those visitors with limited time. Relax in great style as you see all the Main Harbour points of interest, cruising past the Opera House to Double Bay, exclusive Point Piper, Bradley Head, under the Harbour Bridge to Balmain and Darling Harbour. Cost A$20 for approx 1hr15mins.

SATURDAY 22nd MAY, 7.30-10.00pm
Dinner at a central location
where parking is not an issue. Any suggestions?

SUNDAY 23rd MAY, 9am-6pm
Hunter Valley Wine Tour. Cost A$100pp*.

We travel as a private group and cross the famous Harbour Bridge driving through Sydney’s leafy North Shore. We go direct to the Hunter Valley, travelling through beautiful countryside, rolling fields and Australian bushland – a very scenic tour. We see Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. We cross the Hawkesbury River – famous for it’s superb oysters and spot the oyster farms. If you want more time tasting great wines, food, cheese and fudge then this is the tour for you. Free wine tasting at up to 6 wineries ranging from the large wine producers to excellent smaller boutique establishments. Cheese factory visit and free tasting. Step-by-step wine making tour. Delicious lunch and a drink (included) at a traditional winery with some of the best views of the Hunter Valley. Free tasting of the spicy “Kangaroo Kick” and “Wild Wombat” (when available), but be warned – they’re rated 10++ on the hot scale!! Free fudge tasting.

* Cost may vary and are likely to be less, pending group discounts... *

For anything to be booked there needs to be some definite expressions of interest. Please post here with ideas and suggestions AND ALSO email me ([email protected]) so I can compile a group email list for this event.
Ozstamps and I have attended dozens of FT events around the globe where there are sometimes no-shows and other hassles, costing everyone more than anticipated. So it makes sense for most of these things to be pre-paid WHEN decided upon so we are all “on the same page”.

I don’t mind who co-ordinates all this. I am emailing all on this thread who have expressed an interest. If you have no email showing on your profile please pass it on to me ASAP. Right now we are only a month or so out, SOMEONE needs to volunteer or it simply will not occur. I am offering my time, but if someone else is happy to volunteer, be my guest.

If anyone is web savvy (we are not) and can arrange this stuff on a website, please advise…
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Consider me 75% in.

Rumours now have it that we won't have a federal election in Canada in May which means I would be free to travel next month.* While still not 100% certain, I have decided to risk $100 [Aeroplan booking fee and possible charge if I have to cancel and redeposit my miles] and booked myself down on NZ in First Class, and across the Tasman in TG's First Class. Also booked a weekend award at the FOUR POINTS [6K for two nights] plus a night on either side at the CP DARLINGTON and HI SYD AIRPORT. I am curious about how one books the GRACE through HH though, and would appreciate any comments on this as reviews of the property sound pretty good. HILTON still not finished...

Will certainly do the Friday evening cruise/dinner, and the SYD Tarmac Tour on Saturday, plus the Hunter Valley one on Sunday. Not sure about the Harbour Bridge Walk ! I get in on Tuesday, but may go up to Brisbane, or Canberra, or even Adelaide for a couple of days if I can figure out Australia's new airlines and how to book a cheap fare. Otherwise, Joh's list seems enough to keep me busy in and around Sydney.

Should know 100% by the end of this month.

* For those not familiar with the Parliamentary system as practiced in many former British colonies, Prime Ministers in our country can call an election any time within their 5-year mandate, and generally do so around their 4th year in office, or within several months of ascending to their post when succeding a retiring PM. Ours has hinted he wanted to go this spring after replacing Jean Chretien late last year, but now with a scandal he inherited, and plunging poll results, things don't look so good. However, some think they are not going to get much better, so still think May 31st is the likely date. In any case, as a pollster, an election is not the best time for me to be travelling...

Last edited by Shareholder; Apr 7, 2004 at 5:15 pm
Old Apr 7, 2004, 9:59 pm
Joh

I've just been 'fighting' the new FT system: Including the fact that a lot of FT'ers have no active email address listed, I cannot get anywhere with getting a message + above info to everyone who has shown an interest in coming DOWNUNDER (also) because my message is much longer than the 1,000 characters I'm allowed to use by the system......

ANYONE WHO KNOWS SOMEONE WHO HAS SHOWN AN INTEREST IN OZFEST 2004 (see Ozstamps' list above):
- PLEASE EMAIL ME THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS OR EVEN BETTER
- ALERT HIM/HER/THEM TO HAVE A LOOK AT THIS THREAD AND
- THAT I'D LIKE TO HEAR FROM HIM/HER/THEM...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

- Thanks SHAREHOLDER for responding so quickly!

Once I get some responses I'll put a list up of who wants to do what...

Last edited by Joh; Apr 7, 2004 at 10:02 pm
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Joh, I emailed oz earlier I'm less likely but still hopeful of making the trip. Let me know when you need a definite response & I'll let you know then yes/no.

For those who are watching this thread, the way to make email addresses accessible is to edit your myflyertalk & turn vcard option on - that will list your handle & your email address & make it available to others if they click on it, just as it was on the old FT (obviously if you didn't have your email address listed before then you wouldn't turn it on).

BTW - this will also make it easier for people to reach you instead of doing the private message thing via FT which requires logging on to FT to get the messages.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:25 am

Smile

Hi again all

Wow this sounds great, im so lost with all these new posts, whats what OZSTAMPS?

Ok so im in for all the events, I will now be home flying from NZ to Sydney.

Who's going from NZ??

It all sounds so great!

Dave
Old Apr 8, 2004, 3:55 am
Joh

Ozfest 2004

MRSTARALLIANCE thanks for responding!

I'll list you for all events.

Can you please send me an email address via [email protected]? I tried to access SkiAdcock's vcard option, but I cannot find it in my profile....
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:04 am
Joh

Ozfest 2004

SkyAdcock, just found vcard option and activated it! What events would you like to be part of as a Maybe? Please email me a preferred contact email address...

MRSTARALLIANCE you are listed for all events as a Definite! Could you still email me a preferred contact email address...

Last edited by Joh; Apr 8, 2004 at 4:32 am
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:45 am
Joh

MRSTARALLIANCE could you give me a preference for the 'additional activities' following the Tarmac Tour? At the moment I've got you listed for the Bridge Climb, The Jet Boat Tour and the Harbour Highlights Cruise... In reality it also means you'd be missing out on lunch in Brighton-le-Sands...
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:22 am

Thanks for doing all the planning. ^
I'm a definite for the tarmac tour. Maybe the following lunch and the Hunter Valley Tour on Sunday. Let me know when you need a definite response.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ozfest

I am definite as Yes below

Fri 21st May 8am-5pm Tour of the Blue Mountains No
Fri 21st May 11am-4pm Sailing (charter) Trip Sydney Harbour No
Fri 21st May 7.30-10pm 2000 Starlight Dinner Cruise: No
Sat 22nd May 10am-12pm Airport Tarmac Tour Yes
Sat 22nd May 12.30-3pm Lunch in Brighton-le-Sands Yes
Sat 22nd May ??-?? Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb: Yes (or on Sunday ??)
Sat 22nd May ??-?? Sydney Harbour Jet Tour: No
Sat 22nd May ??-?? Sydney Harbour Highlights Cruise: No
Sat 22nd May 7.30-10.00pm Dinner at a central location Yes
Sun 23rd May 9am-6pm Hunter Valley Wine Tour No

^ Thanks for work you have done in organisation of Oz Fest

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 8, 2004 at 7:03 am
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:29 pm

My choices

Reusing Mwenenzi's summary, suitably amended:

Fri 21st May 8am-5pm Tour of the Blue Mountains No
Fri 21st May 11am-4pm Sailing (charter) Trip Sydney Harbour No
Fri 21st May 7.30-10pm 2000 Starlight Dinner Cruise: Yes
Sat 22nd May 10am-12pm Airport Tarmac Tour No
Sat 22nd May 12.30-3pm Lunch in Brighton-le-Sands No
Sat 22nd May ??-?? Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb: Yes
Sat 22nd May ??-?? Sydney Harbour Jet Tour: No
Sat 22nd May ??-?? Sydney Harbour Highlights Cruise: No
Sat 22nd May 7.30-10.00pm Dinner at a central location: Yes
Sun 23rd May 9am-6pm Hunter Valley Wine Tour: Yes

Chris

PS: I'll be on UA863 (SFO->SYD) on May 19th, anyone else going to OZ Fest?

Last edited by chrisreid; Apr 8, 2004 at 12:31 pm Reason: Ask question about SFO flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.