Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ Fest 2004

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2003, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I kinda think there's a date for ozfest, so for those of you posting alternat dates that you're in town ( and if towns at that), you might want to post on community as it gets closer.

------------------
Sharon
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SkiAdcock:

I kinda think there's a date for ozfest, so for those of you posting alternat dates that you're in town ... you might want to post on community as it gets closer.

</font>
SkiAdcock - a good suggestion.

Thread starter spiff initially floated a May possibility for OZFEST 2004, and others liked that month by and large it seems.

Punki and Hunki seems to have been the first to actually lock in tickets - for May 20/23 and that seems like a time period others can try and make it for.

Any others that can make it for May 20/23 in Sydney?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:

We have locked in the first row. We leave SEA 5/18 and arrive, SYD 5/20 at 6:10 a.m.

We will leave SYD 5/23 at 2:45 p.m.

So, what do we do with our weekend???????

</font>
Old Sep 9, 2003, 4:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Any others that can make it for May 20/23 in Sydney? </font>
Yes, I can make it! I would love to join you! But I can also be quite flexible with dates, so whatever fits us all best...
(if only May 04 wasn't that far away! )
Old Sep 10, 2003, 4:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Any others that can make it for May 20/23 in Sydney? </font>
I'm in.

Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:44 pm

Right now we are vacationing there in mid May. Will try and make this one.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Since I'm probably going to Australia anyway sometime between May and July of 2004, mark me as a "maybe" for this one.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Since others are coming half way around the world, I should try to make it across the ditch. Would be interested if anyone is visiting AKL on the way there or back.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I went on a paid tarmac tour of SYD: (only major airport on earth to offer it AFAIK?)

http://www.airsidetarmactours.com/

And even after 9/11 they still offer it.

Can you imagine ANY USA airport offering this kind of access?

In the maintenance area there were all these 747s being scrubbed down. Guide pointed out a single flight to Europe via a cleaned plane burns many tons less fuel than one with a month of grime and dust etc on leading edges, and the quick clean costs a tiny part of what several ton of gas costs. A lot of info we would all find amazing.

Getting airside in a vehicle with un-restricted access all areas and an experienced commentator was amazing.

One thing you'll notice was on the current website above it has 2 x ANSETT jets as the image. When I phoned today to ask 'why' - they said: "A vote of sympathy and nostalgia really - but we may need to update them this year."

They run these tours on 10am Saturday mornings, so if Punki and Hunki are leaving Sunday May 23, this would be a great thing to try and organise, if we book in advance. It runs 90 minutes so we can have Saturday lunch right after it is done.

From those hoping to attend, please post here and let me know if this tour appeals to you and I'll try to book us some seats in advance. Price is $A30 per head. It gets down to $A24 pp if 15 folks book. If I start a thread on Qantas Board closer to the time, we may scrape together 15 interested bodies I feel sure.

Sydney Airport Airside Tarmac Tours is an Australian first and possibly the first tour of its kind in the world. The tour brings the airport and its operations to the people by taking them inside the perimeter fence, or AIRSIDE at Sydney Airport. During the trip, the passengers visit all the points of interest, also getting the chance to view various jet aircraft up close and see the inner workings of this dynamic economic hub as it goes about its daily business.

The tours are for all sorts of people, from the General Public to schools, social groups and clubs, as well as companies. Our buses are air-conditioned and aircraft radio equipped which allows our passengers to listen to pilots communicate with the tower and vis-versa.

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Is there a date finalized?

If it's 20-23 May, I can look into award tix...
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think it's that weekend Spiff, but isn't a weekend a bit short for your 'walkabout' or are you out of school then & staying over?

Since I'm not doing the Africa trip now I'll look into this, but depends on fares, etc. This being gone for most of Jan makes planning anything difficult - just remembered I need to book airline for March SkiDo! Later all.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If I can make it over to OZ Fest then I'd definitely be interested in the tour.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:03 pm
Joh

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:

Is there a date finalized?

If it's 20-23 May, I can look into award tix ...</font>
Hi Spiff! Punki and Hunki seemed to be the first ones to have firmed up tickets - First Class no less - and their dates are below, so we are working around that weekend. They arrive Thursday 20th May am, and depart 23 Sunday May in afternoon.

If the Tarmac Tours appeals to all we can do that Saturday then have a lunch down at a Southern beach. And a dinner Saturday night.

Maybe a Sydney Harbour sail on Friday? Hunki will like that.

And for those around on Sunday a trip to the Blue Mountains or a winery in the Hunter Valley etc. We can book a sober designated driver and small bus etc.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:

We have locked in the first row. We leave SEA 5/18 and arrive, SYD 5/20 at 6:10 a.m.

We will leave SYD 5/23 at 2:45 p.m.

So, what do we do with our weekend???????

</font>

------------------
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:51 am

See you all there

Will be fun for sure. coming in on UA, I think its the same flight as Punki!

Glen that Airport tour sounds good

Dave

[This message has been edited by MRSTARALLIANCE (edited Jan 28, 2004).]
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:06 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
ozstamps, count me in...I might be able to bring along Mrs QF WP - looking forward to meeting some of the doyens of FT.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
You can count m in as well. And with the Airside Tarmac Tours, if you can get enough of a group together they will run them ANY day of the week, so we would not be restricted to a Saturday.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.