Reload this Page >

OZ Fest 2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ Fest 2004

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2003, 1:11 pm

Will the TSA even let Spiff anywhere near a US airport in 2004?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gordon is A Liar:
Will the TSA even let Spiff anywhere near a US airport in 2004?</font>
Hell, we were down right cordial to each other today at LGA.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Sep 2, 2003, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
SYD is a close in airport, not that different from your own SEA. There is good transit, both low-cost shuttles but also subway. However, cab fares to Botany Bay are very affordable by big city standards. Certainly under US$25.

Is the Hilton still undergoing rennos through next year? This city centre property has been closed for at least a year now for major upgrading. It is quite central, though the Sheraton is also a good spot within walking distance of most major sites, galleries, museums etc. Good alternative, and likely where I'll stay since all my IC second weekend night certificates will have expired by May, and the renewal ones won't reach me until July...

However, will hold back on booking my transPacific flight until much closer to the event to wait and see what fares are on offer. [As an SE, can always get two reward seats in J unless the flight is completely sold out. A very, very sweet benefit, and no increase in the number of miles needed.]

Old Sep 2, 2003, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:

How far is the city from the airport?

Is there good public transportation to and from the airport?

Why is the Hilton, downtown "sold out" the weekend of May 21-23? We now have rooms at the Sheraton Hyde Park. Is that a good location?

</font>
SYD airport is about the closest to the CBD than any city of 5 million on earth. About 10-15 minutes cab ride and a LOTTTTTT closer than SEATAC is to CBD.

There is a train from Airport to city, and also airport CBD shared transfer buses. However a cab runs even less than Shareholder notes and for 2 persons is by far the smartest option. About $US15 most times.

"Botany Bay" is ummm actually where airport is located - the third runway was in fact built on reclaimed land into Botany Bay. So cabs from airport take you AWAY from Botany Bay.

SYD Hilton was closed November 2002 for total rebuild basically. Oz Hilton newsletter in today's mail says it will have grand re-opening "Mid 2004" so late May might be OK.

There are properties in all 4 main Sheraton Brands in CBD. Four Points, W, Westin and Sheraton On The Park.

Many FT'ers have been here and stayed in several if not all 4 in their visit, and the Westin gets highest marks each time has been my feedback - especially for Plats that get upgraded to Suites there. Excellent central location as you'd except as it is built using fascia and site of the historic Sydney GPO.

Sheraton On The Park is very nice, "W" far too hip and out of the way to me, but by far the best value IMO is Four Points. Located right on Darling Harbour, and next to Chinatown and entertainment/movie strip. Until end November stays are $US30 plus 1600 Starpoints which is a steal. Get a room with a balcony over Darling Harbour and it is a magic deal for that price.

Old Sep 2, 2003, 6:34 pm

May is out for me, but I'm looking at an RTW for late August, 2004, ending mid-October. Australia would likely be on the front end, but possibly the back, depending on what the Award Planner people think will work best.

Whatever happens, I want to spend a few days in Sydney, then over to Melbourne to visit with friends there. Thanks, Joh, for the suggestions! I'll print them and put in my RTW folder...

JP
Old Sep 2, 2003, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think if this thread EVER makes it to a page #2 we should proceed.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well, low season is pretty pricey! I checked Punki's dates (thinking perhaps of booking something to get mileage & using SWU for upgrade to biz), and it's $2260US (B fare). I thought well, that's a short period of time anyway & I know folk in Sydney, so then looked at departure on the 13th & return on the 23rd & it's $1396US (H fare). Searching on ual.com on price H was the only thing it brought up.

------------------
Sharon
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SkiAdcock:
Well, low season is pretty pricey! I checked Punki's dates (thinking perhaps of booking something to get mileage & using SWU for upgrade to biz), and it's $2260US (B fare). I thought well, that's a short period of time anyway & I know folk in Sydney, so then looked at departure on the 13th & return on the 23rd & it's $1396US (H fare). Searching on ual.com on price H was the only thing it brought up.

</font>
I agree that it's pricey! I usually do award tickets to Oz because it is pricey compared to SIN, BKK, etc. in the low season. (one gets more miles going to BKK, SIN). The cheapest I had seen Oz from LAX was about $800 in the low season. (not a H fare but a W or V).

Checking travelocity, the lower fares are in the 800's and are in W & V class. These lower fares are only good for travel through December 5. I believe that sometime early next year may be a good time to purchase a ticket to Oz.

It takes 90K on UA for a biz ticket to Oz & 120K for a F ticket.

Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chemist661:

It takes 90K on UA for a biz ticket to Oz & 120K for a F ticket.

</font>

They are THE best "value" awards - IMO - available to MP fliers based in USA.

Especially seeing they apply from *Anywhere* USA as well. For an East coast resident they really are an unbeatable award.

I have posted before on the UA board I would not be surprised to see these increase 100% given the rampant award devaluation that is going on. For example Qantas has just dramatically upped (from January) the miles needed just to UPGRADE ONLY to and from LAX-SYD to 140,000 miles.

BA awards in F to OZ went up about 300% etc.

The UA award lets you have MEL as end destination with stopover in SYD.

Old Sep 3, 2003, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I am told that Asian carriers offer good fares via HKG and SIN, though cannot be certain all the lowest fares garner miles. AC generally prices YYZ-SYD in the C$1800 range, but of course these cheaper fares cannot be upgraded.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:11 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not sure I'll be able to do this anyway, since it's dependent on a few things - ie, client base, alma mater alumi tour (they usually go to some cool places), etc, etc.

I could potentially do an award but I probably won't know until early next year if I can make it & odds are they'll be gone by then, which is why I thought of buying cheap (ha!) fare & upgrading to biz class.

Heck, I need to start flying more if I'm going to go through all my awards going to FT Dos!

PS - Hey oz, don't give UA any ideas on upping the redemption levels!

------------------
Sharon

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 09-03-2003).]
Old Sep 6, 2003, 6:23 am
doc

This is a great idea! Although I have been to Oz many times before, it is now over five years since my last visit! Unfortunately May will seemingly be a rather tough month for me, and the first week of April or the last week in June look very good, as does August, particularly the last two weeks of the month. So we'll see what is good for everyone else and plan accordingly!

-Mark
Old Sep 7, 2003, 3:40 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I will be in MEL July 8-12, and then SYD 12th to the 16th. If something comes up at that time, I would love to attend.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
So is there still interest in doing this next late spring, or what? Spiff?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 7:47 pm

Programs: American Airlines-Executive Platinum
Hi, I will be in Brisbane Oct14 and 15th-at Hilton and in Melbourne-Oct 30th at Hilton; if would love to meet with any other webflyers. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.