OZ Fest 2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ Fest 2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:19 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Red face Sorry for my tardiness, Joh

Joh, sorry I haven't really been following this in the new version of FT and although I did get your private message (I'll admit my failings are many )

I'll definitely be there as organising business meetings in SYD either before of after it (before might be better ; never know how hung over or tired I'd be after it ). I'll be hopefully suggesting that Mrs QF WP fly down on Friday night but that's a big maybe (she still doesn't appreciate FT as much as I do).

That being the case, my definite FT events are:

DC = Dinner Cruise 21/5, 1930-2200+-
TT = Tarmac Tour 22/5, 1000-1200+-
Lu = Lunch Brighton-le-Sands 22/5, 1230-1500+-

Maybe's to:
Di = Dinner CBD/Central 22/5, 1930-2200+-

Will talk to Mrs QF WP and confirm within the week.

Last edited by QF WP; Apr 17, 2004 at 11:21 pm Reason: correcting spelling
Old Apr 18, 2004, 12:23 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I will not be attending. Sorry for the delay in responding. Have a great time!
Old Apr 18, 2004, 1:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Thumbs up

Ok, I have managed to organise a quick inspection of the Sydney T# Qantas Club, which I believe to be one of the best airline lounges in the world (given the types of journeys that those who will be using it will be undertaking - mainly short to mid haul domestic journeys).

This was sold to the Lounge Manager on the basis that we were a bunch of aviation enthusiasts, that we had a number of top-tier flyers from various different programs - oneworld, StarAlliance, SkyTeam and so on - that I thought that the Sydney QP was one of the best lounges in the world and I wanted to prove it.

It has therefore been agreed that we can do a quick inspection, either before or after the Tarmac Tour - so my thoughts are 0930 or 1215. Being a Saturday the QP will not be overly crowded at this time of the day, and I am sure that all of know how to behave in an appropriate manner so that we do not upset the ambience of the surroundings. I also mentioned that it will be a quick 10 minute inspection, without the use of any of the facilities. Since I am a lowly QF SG, I am only entitled to access when flying. Perhaps a QF WP member (looks in QF WP's direction) might be able to extend this further, since WP's are entitled to access even when NOT flying. (North Americans might find it a shock to be able to get past security when not flying).

What I will need though is a list of those who wish to do the inspection, along with their various levels in whatever program they are with. THis list does not have to be accurate, you can say that you are BA Premier for all I care, I just need to justify the inspection to the lounge manager. Those without oneworld status are particularly encouraged, since they will regard you as a potential recruit.

Cheers,

Dave
Old Apr 18, 2004, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm interested in the lounge "inspection," of course!

I'm a card-carrying UA 1K.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
10 minutes - enough time for a quick one so count me in. SQ PPS if it helps.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Question

While we're on the general subject of oz, does anyone here have experience riding the
GSR Overland train between Melbourne and Adelaide?
Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:58 am

Di = Dinner CBD/Central 22/5, 1930-2200+-
Jt = Harbour Jet Tour 22/5, various times pm
Cr = Harbour Highlights Cruise 22/5, various times pm
Maybe - HVT = Hunter Valley Wine Tour 23/5, 0900-1800+-
Old Apr 19, 2004, 2:56 am
Joh

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
Noted everyone's updates and will do a 'formal' change in the next 48-72hrs or so - no need to over-activate on my side at this point in time... But keep posting, it 'bumps up' the thread within the FlyerTalk Community forum!!!

QF WP: Mrs QF WP is probably wondering about you the way I wonder about Ozstamps from time to time... I don't get involved with the 'day-to-day business' of "flying". FlyerTalk & Ozstamps however, have given me the opportunity over the past 4 years to meet a variety of people in strange and not so strange places who give you exceptional 'welcomes' to their country or city in any part of this world if you are open to it...

Our next 'official' travel destination is Mongolia; Ozstamps is having difficulties at the moment making an UA award ticket work from SYD via PEK to ULN in July flying Air China to attend the Nadaam Festival in Ulaan Bataar) - I'm sure, once he works it out, somewhere along the line we'll 'catch up' with another FT'er along the line - this one is likely to be on horse back, the favorite past time of the nation... - And I'd love to join him or her - although it's been awhile since I rode a horse!
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:03 am

I wouldn't mind 'inspecting' the lounge. Always wondered what 'the other side' is like (I'm a LH Senator).
Old Apr 19, 2004, 9:58 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
thadocta, of course I can be relied upon to be there and get a couple of people in...although my Guest Passes are in such short supply (read: nonexistant) - I'll have to see who has a drawer full of them and is willing to part (now, I seem to recollect that NM seems to fit this bill). Given his off-topic putting antics at present, I'm owed!

Joh, I'm sure that she could relate to you very well. She is bemused (and at times unhappy) about the amount of time that I spend on FT. Then again, the status means nothing to her (as she only tends to travel with me), but the long haul J seats mean something (plus showers in the Lounges).
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:15 am
In Memoriam

Lounge Tour

QF WP, I was not referring to guest passes, I doubt that they will be needed.

I was referring to the fact that I, as a humble (there goes your latest keyboard) SG member, can not normally gain access unless flying, and since we won't be, I had to let it slip in that we would not actually be utilising the facilities of the lounge (namely, tea, coffee, juice, and so on - although I doubt they would prevent us from using the "QF WC" if the need arose).

I was just alluding to the fact that if someone of WP status was in the party - in fact, more than one - then perhaps the access could be extended slightly so as to include an 0900 morning tea, or something like that. WOuld need to be a WP to arrange it though, I have a stack of guest passes as well if you want to ask them about booking a "meeting room" (in case a typical Qantas FT board "meeting" is required). (Although now that I think of it, I can't imagine a *typical* QF FT get-together without alcohol involved).

Dave
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:26 am
In Memoriam

Lounge inspection

As I mentioned before, I will need a list of those wishing to "inspect" the Sydney T3 Qantas Club, along with the level you are at in your various programs (please restrict it to your airline programs). Rather than just saying something like "Kalathumpian Green" can you say "Kalathumpian Green, equiv. to OneWorld Sapphire" or whatever.

Note, this is a requirement of the management of the Sydney Qantas Pub that they have this beforehand. As all of us use these sorts of lounges on a regular basis, I am sure that you realise that they are doing us a HUUUUUUUGE favour by allowing an "inspection tour" - we need to show them that those attending are the type of travellers who regularly use lounges.

So, please email me your FT username, REAL name, and FF level and program, to the following address:

[email protected]

Cheers,

Dave
Old Apr 20, 2004, 3:07 pm

Hi Everyone

Look what UA has just come out with, the best fare I have seen!

Los Angeles (LAX) Sydney, Australia (SYD) $708

No reason not to come now!!!
Dave
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Aaaahhh ... but is that fare UPGRADEABLE?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
QF WPI was referring to the fact that I, as a humble (there goes your latest keyboard)
Actually, you have to pay for a HP LaserJet 6L, HP keyboard and HP71 monitor!! I had a mouthful of tea and chocolate cake that I needed to clean off it, in fact I've just finished but they still aren't working, so I'm using somebody else's computer... Dave, when have you ever admitted that before (hey, there's a first time for everything)

I have a stack of guest passes as well if you want to ask them about booking a "meeting room" (in case a typical Qantas FT board "meeting" is required). (Although now that I think of it, I can't imagine a *typical* QF FT get-together without alcohol involved)
You can use my name to organise it (I'll give you my FF number by PM if you need it) or do you want me to ring QP SYD. Yes, it will be a first..a dry meeting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.