Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum
Hello fellow FTers,

after some years lurking and just reading I registered today

I am in my thirties, female and living in Berlin, Germany. As my job does not recquire me to travel, I am playing the miles-and-points game on a private level, which means paying for every flight, hotel stay or crazy mileage run. It is fun, it's my hobby and I love it. I like spending time at airports, visiting lounges and just experiencing every part of my journey. My most loved part of this world is Kaua'i and I try to get back to the Islands at least every year or two with so much of the world left to see and discover. On my bucketlist are still so many countries and places...and sooo little time!

I've been loyal to Air Berlin for the last years and one of the many who has lost much miles and flights when they filed for insolvency. Now I am still a little bit heartbroken and just about to become BA Silver. Compared to most of you, this feels like a rookie-status but there's more travel planned ahead and slowly and steady I am getting there.
Speaking of loyalty schemes, I haven't yet quite managed to acquire some kind of hotel status as I am often staying in different chains and haven't looked into hotel loyalty programs that much. This is one thing I'd like to change in the future.

Looking forward to being a part of this great community!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:38 am

Hi Raijin - Welcome to the "posting" experience. Having spent "some years" "lurking and just reading" - you should have a good idea how this stuff works. Sorry to hear of your bad Air Berlin experience. I have bad-mouthed them on different online site for a few years. Was not surprised to see them go BK.

What with the way the airlines change their standards and rules for frequent flyers - we no longer use any airline credit cards. We put all purchases(of any kind) on our Capital One Credit card, where we get 2 miles for every dollar charged. This adds up quickly and can then be used to erase from our credit card statement any airfare, car rentals, hotels, etc. Before a trip, we find and book the best deals and charge them to this card. We recently flew to Germany on SAS. After returning home (USA) and getting our credit card statement - we erased about 900 (one ticket cost) from our statement. If you charge $50000 - you get 100000 miles. With this, you can erase $1000 from your credit card bill. No more being at the mercy of the airlines' changing requirements for us!

Happy Travels! :-)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raijin
Hello fellow FTers,

after some years lurking and just reading I registered today

I am in my thirties, female and living in Berlin, Germany. As my job does not recquire me to travel, I am playing the miles-and-points game on a private level, which means paying for every flight, hotel stay or crazy mileage run. It is fun, it's my hobby and I love it. I like spending time at airports, visiting lounges and just experiencing every part of my journey. My most loved part of this world is Kaua'i and I try to get back to the Islands at least every year or two with so much of the world left to see and discover. On my bucketlist are still so many countries and places...and sooo little time!

I've been loyal to Air Berlin for the last years and one of the many who has lost much miles and flights when they filed for insolvency. Now I am still a little bit heartbroken and just about to become BA Silver. Compared to most of you, this feels like a rookie-status but there's more travel planned ahead and slowly and steady I am getting there.
Speaking of loyalty schemes, I haven't yet quite managed to acquire some kind of hotel status as I am often staying in different chains and haven't looked into hotel loyalty programs that much. This is one thing I'd like to change in the future.

Looking forward to being a part of this great community!
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Hope you enjoy your travels.

Don’f worry too much about the status. It is a fun game to play, until it isn’t.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum
Thank you both for the warm welcome!
@wilful: Well I wasn't fast enough to burn my miles, which was unlucky. Coming from the German capital, I think what made AB special to me (and many fellow Berliners), was that their attitude and work resembled a lot what we experience everyday living here (Airport BER anyone?). It was maybe not the most fanciest product, it lacked succesful planning and strategy and the flights were often late or chaotic in the end, but the FAs and ground staff had that kind of "Berliner Schnauze", charming and still cheeky, that we like.
TL;DR It was like a part of my chaotic hometown, that's what makes me miss AB.

@Calchas: Thank you For the time being I am happy to being able to afford this kind of hobby. As long as it's like this and as long as I have fun doing it, it's great. Going on a small MR tonight and hopefully I can contribute to the CE Dining Thread.

Last edited by Raijin; Aug 24, 2018 at 5:50 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
Welcome to FT. I, too, am not a business traveller, and never was, so I know what it's like to 'pay' for your status. Over the years, since retirement from a paying job, I have been lucky enough to travel the skies with an incredible number of people who work an amazing number of occupations. Now and then, it's a person who is going to a meeting, but overall, power travelers; that's the same feeling I get from hearing FT tales. Enjoy the ride!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:03 pm

Hello,
I came across this forum only a month ago and decided to join. I live in Southern California, OC, I do travel within my state and internationally mostly to Estonia and Russia. I prefer alternative accommodations found through sites like AirBnb, VRBO, etc. I like hiking, skiing, winsurfing, cycling.

I have a background of working as a software engineer and I am a strong Blockchain and Crypto Currency enthusiast. Hope to to find other crypto aware people in this community
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:34 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm just a guy who enjoys travel.
Well, I like destinations, not travel. Having to jump into a pressurized tube and scream across the skies at 1000 km/h is just a necessary evil.

This site has helped me a lot in the past, but I did not decide to join the discussion until today. I look forward to joining in the discussion with all of you!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am

Hi All,

I'm Javier and I'm from Uruguay, in South America, a bad place if you want to get benefits from credit cards...as you just have LATAM and AA cards and not many businesses offer miles...

I consider myself as a well-traveled person, having been to 30 countries so far, adding one more at the end of this month

Always travel in Economy, just made upgrades in three occasions, one with Scoot Airlines and one with LATAM (I really hate this company for reasons that will explain in another post seeking for help, but long story short, there was a metallic safety pin INSIDE my muffin )

Hope to contribute as much as I can with the fellow posters.

Cheers,

Javier
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:48 pm

Hello people,

It's been a while since I was here as a noob, and I'm still a noob here haha!

I'm John, 28 years old, deaf living in Austin. I have ConnectMiles (from CopaAirlines which I used mainly for Star Alliance, including United which is my go-to for ConnectMiles), Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (for American flights and other Airlines), IHG Reward Club (I didn't use it much because I used Hotwire for hotel searches), Amtrak (same since rail isn't excellent in Texas unlike Northeast/DC where I was living before), and Greyhound (I just started the rewards program this month, but like Amtrak and IHG, perhaps not much of a use for it unless it's intra-state travel inside Texas).

I'm just looking forward to start traveling just for sporting events regularly starting next year after a successful trial run I did last December when I went to Ottawa for a weekend (NHL 100 Classic between Montreal and Ottawa at TD Place), and I fly basic/economy, but hopefully by reading some of the topics here, I can pick up some there and there especially when I'm planning some trips for 2019 like a weekend in Denver for MLR (Major League Rugby) and a trip to Japan for Rugby World Cup 2019 (I have the Hopper app which I'm watching closely for any good deals from ABIA anywhere).

Warm Regards,
John
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA, WN, NK
Hello everyone,

I've been reading for a little while and finally decided to post. I'm a Vegas local, have worked in hospitality for quite sometime and am currently working for an OTA after working third party for a large credit card company as a TA. I love to travel. Looking to steer most of my free agent travel over to WN in order to get CP this next year (yeah, Hawaii!). Love reading all the stories and tips from everyone.

- Holly

Edit: Chose the username because I am not loyal to any one specific airline.. Have little bits of miles here and there.

Last edited by lowmiles; Jan 18, 2019 at 10:17 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:01 am

Hi all! Longtime lurker, first time member.

I'm a native New Yorker who now splits her time between NYC and Toronto. Obviously, that means I travel the EWR-YTZ Porter route a lot, but I also fly JFK-SJC/SFO several times per year for work, along with the occasional domestic Canadian route and an annual pilgrimage to somewhere warm. And with my parents having just retired to Georgia, I expect to be spending a lot more time in ATL!

Outside of traveling, I'm a writer by trade who loves eating carbs, doing ballet, and cleaning my apartments. My pet peeves are slow walkers and people who call Toronto the "6ix."

Last edited by allegedlycanadian; Jan 10, 2019 at 10:06 am
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:35 pm

Not new, not old or seasoned. Had status, lost status, now I have no status. I come here for tips and tricks since I still gotta travel.

I'm based out of IAD/DCA/BWI, outside of traveling I am a Corporate FP&A by trade.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Southwest, US Airways, Hilton Marriott
Based on PHX...I keep reading/listening to see if there is anything new in the frequent flyer world. I’ve got a companion pass on SWA and they keep this seat open for me on most every flight so I give them 100% of my 80 flights a year. BOS, Oregon, Vegas, SFO this month. Except Maui...American gets that in September. Enjoying my first year of Marriott Ambassador service too.

This is my seat on Southwest on most every flight
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott PP, Hilton gold, Shangri-La emerald, AA Gold, China eastern airlines silver
Hello everyone I come from China, I just wanna say hi

hi everyone, I come from China and I am a loyalty program fan. I got Marriott pp and Hilton gold just as my profile. Also got some status of local brand in China .

I travel to America a lot and there’s pretty different than China in either benefit and conditions of the properties.

Anyway, I hope I can know someone here and learning new things with each other.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by zc1018
hi everyone, I come from China and I am a loyalty program fan. I got Marriott pp and Hilton gold just as my profile. Also got some status of local brand in China .

I travel to America a lot and there’s pretty different than China in either benefit and conditions of the properties.

Anyway, I hope I can know someone here and learning new things with each other.
With this being your first post, Welcome to FT (I guess you've been lurking for a bit up to this point).
KRSW and zc1018 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.