Düsseldorf In Summer - DUS III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Düsseldorf In Summer - DUS III

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I got a lovely drunk-y phone call from the kokowald at about 9 pm tonight. That means the DUS crew was still going strong at 4 am.

I couldn't actually understand anything because all I heard was a bunch of yelling, but it sure sounded fun and I'm sorry I am missing it!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 1:21 am

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Help! We're stuck at Heathrow because of an unplanned labor action at British Air on Friday afternoon which shut down all domestic and European flights until this morning at 7:30. The whole terminal is awash with people and luggage carts and our 7:25 flight to Dusseldorf was cancelled. After waiting in a long line to get reticketed on the 10:50 flight, we are at rest in the BA lounge, but will miss the afternoon events.
We're looking forward to eventually hooking up with the group whenever.
And going through all of this because we wanted to fly on the Concorde!!!!!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Well, things aren't looking too good for us at the moment. All BA LHR staff just walked out again.

At least we are in the lounge and there is lots of free liquor, for the moment. Of course, there is no staff to replace it when it is gone.

Unfortunately, all of our bags are checked. Why did we do that? We never check bags. So we are pretty much stuck in London, as least until we can get our hands on our luggage.

What a pain. We'll keep you posted. Sorry we are missing all the fun.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
OUCH!! My head hurts. Who kept buying me Alts till 4am?

GREAT dinner thanks Bernie !
Old Jul 19, 2003, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Sorry to read about your being stranded at LHR in the Concorde Lounge. Of all the dates to be doing this "flight of a lifetime", but it will add to the lengthy travelers lore you both have. Hope you get to DUS tomorrow. Will keep checking for updates. Everyone else, alt-on!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:15 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Just to give everybody a real-time update from DUS (thanks to wireless internet access)...

We did enjoy a great tour at the castle, and got to enjoy a very nice and delicious coffee table there.

Right now, we are at the Kirmes at the Frankenheim beer tent, and the Alt is flowing...

Sorry that you couldn't make it Punki - but good for us and koko (who finally showed up at like 7:45pm) - sufficient Alt for us here, and no need to share
Hopefully, the free liquor at the BA lounge makes up for your loss and our gain here...
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Punki:

no need to hurry:
a) I have (another) dance partner
b) what do you need bags for?
c) never trust the british (ask merry)
d) etc. etc. etc.
e) cheers and prosit - Rudi
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:24 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Live from geek central we are in the Alt tent surfing Flyertalk

alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt alt
Counsellor likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My goodness, all this lovely alt....

Same time next year, Bernie?
Old Jul 19, 2003, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

What a miserable day. The high point was our brief stint in the club where we met a lot of fun folks, before the staff ran off with all the vodka and Corn Flakes and kicked us out. Other than that, we stood in lines, here and there for hours on end, all day long. It was dreadful. We did finally reunite with our luggage and the mysterious Dusseldorf box, but after spending three hours standing in line, trying to rebook, the charming folks from BA decided to go home and shut everything down again.

They thought there were just too many people in the airport to handle, so they quit rebooking and told everybody to leave the airport. So just where do they think folks will go? We are among the very lucky few who have room, but there are thousand who are just stranded. This is a corporate obscenity. BA has, in my mind lost every point they gained for their lovely Concorde service. When stranded customers as what to do, they gave us a phone number to call, but nobody answers. Whatever small sympathies I may have held for British labor have now disappeared forever.

I must say that the baggage claim was an interesting sight to behold. I have never seen so many stacks of luggage anywhere in my entire life. Fortunately Hunki patiently sorted through every stack until he found both bags and the box. Whew!

Now we just need a flight to DUS.

With the grace of God, we will see you all tomorrow. If not, so, such is life. Travel is definitely an experience.

I am sooooooooooooooo sad that my beloved brother has run off dancing with the delightful Smooth and is not missing me at all.

Oh, well, I still love and miss you anyway.

Cheers, Punki
Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Same time next year, Bernie? </font>
Quite, quite, wonderfull time bernie, really wonderfull.

Oh and Spiff please tell your friend that after we returned him to the tent after he was so kind as to translate all the game rules for us that we did return to the ticket tearing game one last time on our way out.

We bought one last set of tickets each and my daughter got a green heart ticket, making the needed special three heart set..... so now I just have to figure out how to get my self, my wife and daughter..... and a stuffed moose as big as a person back home

as I said it was a wonderfull time
Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Sorry to read about your being stranded at LHR in the Concorde Lounge. Of all the dates to be doing this "flight of a lifetime", but it will add to the lengthy travelers lore you both have. Hope you get to DUS tomorrow. Will keep checking for updates. Everyone else, alt-on!</font>
Actually, we had already had our Concorde experience which was fantastic. The service was excellent and I'll have to do a mini-trip report later. There were actually 3 other couples from Seattle who were on the same flight.
Currently we are booked on our original flight time and should be able to make it to Bernie's for a coffee and "berliner".
This experience is certainly one that I don't want again, but we've survived it without losing our sense of humor.
Now, on to Dus! And hoping that our flights back on British First to JFK go without any further delays!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:54 pm

Maybe I spoke too soon, all of the BA flights up to 7:00 am have be cancelled, and the other flights are listed as "please wait". GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Punki says that the club room staff said that the flight is still going, and they haven't started to put away the vodka and corn flakes, so maybe they speak the truth, here we wait in suspense.......will the Experience continue?????

They have just announced that the FRA flight is boarding, so maybe there slight chance that we might actually get out........the suspense is kiiiiiillllllliiiiinnnnngggggg mmmmmeeeeeee!
Old Jul 20, 2003, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great day Saturday ... AGAIN .. thank you Bernie!

Heading off to Bernie#s for more Alt and chats and hope to see the Seattle Twins have got here at LAST!
Old Jul 20, 2003, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope you can make it to bernies...!

Ir was a great meeting so far. Hope the alcohol doesn't flow too much at bernies now...

CU!

This mnessage was posted by ralfkrippner, using oz's pasword... Wait what I 'll do with that tomorrow....

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 07-20-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.