FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Cow Do XV (EZE) - Aug 30 to Sep 02, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1946367-cow-do-xv-eze-aug-30-sep-02-2019-a.html)

Gaucho100K Aug 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by YYCowboy (Post 31400301)
Won't be able to make it this year, hoping for better luck next year. Have fun everyone!

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are considering this for 2020.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

Gaucho100K Aug 11, 2019 8:47 am

Further updates from anyone else....???

MsEverywhere Aug 12, 2019 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 31375270)
Also, to make sure nobody gets a Cow over-dose, we are planning on Italian lunches and Grilled Cow dinners. Many attendees over the years have had trouble with having 2 large meals in one day, so the idea is to allow everybody to pace themselves to better enjoy the experiences.... :D

We will definitely appreciate the dining diversity!

MsEverywhere Aug 12, 2019 6:25 am

In case anyone is concerned about having leftover pesos, I have a couple of suggestions:I have used them in the past, and they were professional and prompt. I had some Iraqi dinars (a long story). I could have driven to their store on the east coast of Florida, but it was more convenient for me to ship them. UPS wouldn't take them, but the USPS did. I have no idea how much of a fee I paid, but getting the USD was better than sitting around waiting for the IQD to recover.

MsEverywhere Aug 12, 2019 7:08 am

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere (Post 31406729)
In case anyone is concerned about having leftover pesos, I have a suggestionsI have used them in the past, and they were professional and prompt. I had some Iraqi dinars (a long story). I could have driven to their store on the east coast of Florida, but it was more convenient for me to ship them. UPS wouldn't take them, but the USPS did. I have no idea how much of a fee I paid, but getting the USD was better than sitting around waiting for the IQD to recover.

Oops, Xchange of America doesn't buy ARS, so I suggest you either spend them or save them for your next trip.

In order to budget for meals, what is the tax on restaurant meals?

Are exchange places open on weekends? Do most of them require a minimum USD denomination like $50 or $100?

Gaucho100K Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am

In Argentina, all prices quoted already include all taxes, so we dont have the usual price+tax that is the norm in the USA. You only have to factor in the tip for budgeting purposes.

Exchange places can be available on weekends, although the bid/ask spread will be larger than during weekdays when the financial markets are operating normally. And yes, it is best to have newish $100 bills to trade currency. Also remember that since the Peso is basically free-floating, using an ATM that had no or reasonable fees is also an option to get cash - albeit the amount you will get per transaction will depend on the ATM machine you use and the card you carry.

M60_to_LGA Aug 12, 2019 8:28 am

Hi Gaucho - I wanted to follow up.

It looks like I won't be able to make the Monday events because I have meetings downtown. However, dinner on Saturday looks like it will work, so please add me to the list! From a quick Google Maps search, it appears Somos Asado is Subteable, yes?

Also, please keep me posted on Sunday events, as that day is wide open for me.

I look forward to meeting you in BsAs! :)

MsEverywhere Aug 12, 2019 11:48 am

OK, now I see the 55.5 : 1 exchange rate.

mdt76 Aug 13, 2019 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 31403795)
Further updates from anyone else....???

Hi Gaucho100K,

Sorry about the delay, crazy week last week and finally checking back...

We are definitely in for all events on Monday.

Am awaiting final confirmation from the Mrs for Friday, since she'll be arriving into EZE at 5:50 am, so the wine tasting may be too early, but lunch should be do-able.

I'm arriving into EZE on Thursday 9/29 @ 10:20AM and we will be staying at the Sheraton Convention Center (so next door to the people staying at the Park Tower!).

See y'all in a few weeks!

Mike

Gaucho100K Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA (Post 31407184)
Hi Gaucho - I wanted to follow up.

It looks like I won't be able to make the Monday events because I have meetings downtown. However, dinner on Saturday looks like it will work, so please add me to the list! From a quick Google Maps search, it appears Somos Asado is Subteable, yes?

Also, please keep me posted on Sunday events, as that day is wide open for me.

I look forward to meeting you in BsAs! :)

OK, I will update your attendance to the events... you are not in town on Friday, correct...?

Gaucho100K Aug 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by mdt76 (Post 31411127)
Hi Gaucho100K,

Sorry about the delay, crazy week last week and finally checking back...

We are definitely in for all events on Monday.

Am awaiting final confirmation from the Mrs for Friday, since she'll be arriving into EZE at 5:50 am, so the wine tasting may be too early, but lunch should be do-able.

I'm arriving into EZE on Thursday 9/29 @ 10:20AM and we will be staying at the Sheraton Convention Center (so next door to the people staying at the Park Tower!).

See y'all in a few weeks!

Mike

OK, so I will put you down for Lunch on Friday and tentative for the Wine Tasting. All in for the events on Monday. What about Saturday...?

Im going to be introducing a couple of changes to the schedule, the Friday Lunch will be held at the same venue as the Wine Tasting, so please let me know as soon as you can if your +1 will want to do the wine tasting. With a 0550 AM flight she will be at the Hotel at 0800-ish so there should be plenty of time to freshen up and make it to the 1100AM tasting.

Thanks.

M60_to_LGA Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Nope. I get in to EZE Saturday morning.

Gaucho100K Aug 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA (Post 31412234)
Nope. I get in to EZE Saturday morning.

Understood.

Gaucho100K Aug 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Folks.... please check the 1st page of this Master Thread for some adjustments to the Schedule of Events.

Due to organizational issues, Somos Asado is unable to accomodate us for Dinner on Saturday. Gustavo is doing very well and his evenings are too busy for a group this Size. This is a bitter-sweet moment, but Im sure those of you that know Gustavo (the Owner & Chef) from a previous Do will celebrate (as do I) that he is doing so well... and, the good news is that I have been able to get Gustavo to take us in for Lunch on Friday. - so we will not miss out on going to this great place.

While this means that Friday will be a dead-cow Double-Header, Im sure everybody will be able to manage this as it is on the "front-end" of the trip.

Fervor is now the venue that will replace the Saturday night Dinner slot left vacant - and this is a good choice because Fervor is a "surf & turf" type place that aside from an ample selection of dead-Cow, will also offer fish & Italian inspired options for those that want to go easy on more Beef.

I realize that all the details and information are coming together slowly, but please take into consideration that Argentina is, once again, in the middle of a special economic situation and there is plently of price volatility going around. Im looking to establish local currency pricing so as to allow everybody to benefit from the current weakness of the Peso, but Merchants and service providers are (as is to be expected), trying to not mis-price their goods/services so I get the feeling that we will be finalizing a lot of thigs last minute..... regadless, bottom line is that Im sure that everybody will have a BLAST and enjoy good fun and great value for money during this visit to Buenos Aires.

Thanks for your understanding & patience, and please dont forget to stock up on USD Cash before your head for the airport, so that you can get a decent stash of Pesos at the Airport.

Cheers,
Alex

MsEverywhere Aug 16, 2019 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 30546965)

Friday August 30th

2000hrs - Dinner at La Cabrera (a la carte)

More Info for La Cabrera:
La Cabrera Parrilla Argentina - Buenos Aires

Is it North or South La Cabrera?