FT wine tasting get together in 2001

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT wine tasting get together in 2001

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2000, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Does anyone know anybody at the Wine Spectator magazine? Maybe we can get them involved somehow.

Or do you know anyone in a related industry?
With all these talkers, someone must know somebody.

I'll e mail the Wine Spectator.
That magazine is to wine what Randy is to travel.

Dan
Old Nov 3, 2000, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
i second essxjay's idea. both locales have their own charm and character so it would be nice to have a chance to enjoy both
Old Nov 4, 2000, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally posted by dhammer53:
I'll e mail the Wine Spectator.
That magazine is to wine what Randy is to travel.

Dan
I would like to suggest an alternative to the publication mentioned above: The Wine News. From what I have read they seem less concerned about the industry itself, and all of its commercial trappings, and more focused on the wines themselves, offering expert opinion and guidance without turning it into a popularity contest. I have learned far more about wine from The Wine News than any other publication. Another possibility might be Food & Wine; we could make this a wine-food pairing extravaganza!
Old Nov 4, 2000, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I wouldn't suggest involving the Wine Spectator, or any other wine publication or group for that matter. There are lots of special tastings organized by wine periodicals that we can go to and pay for. ( I used to go to the Wine Spectators' SFO event when it started 15- or 20-years ago,when that periodical was still a struggling effort by Marvin Shanken.)

This event should be like all FlyerTalk get togethers, an informal excuse to meet our virtual selves i n real space someplace, and share a few indulgences we enjoy as much as flying. Just consider it a "pot luck" with a bunch of friends who each bring a couple of bottles of their favourite, exotic local plonk.

Such gatherings continue the spirit of the "Sharing Circle" which is so central to FlyerTalk.

As there are a few of us who will be at Albier next weekend, we might be able to come to some concensus and post those thoughts following DUS.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 11-04-2000).]
Old Nov 4, 2000, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Shareholder. Good idea. I count about TEN of those poting above who will be in DUS next weekend for the "Altbier/Goosenfest". Be nice to try and get a quick discussion up there. I vote for you as organiser of it.
Old Nov 5, 2000, 5:28 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

More votes and a fantastic alternative strategy suggested!

I liked the idea of appealing to more of us by doing two separate autumn events. If one is in the autumn of each of the Northern and Southern Hemispheres we end up with a Spring and an Autumn event for you wherever you might live. Great idea essxjay!! I would ideally like one place to fit with enough people to do it once a year, but that is fairly restricting based on the general response. There seems to so much enthusiastic interest that we ought to take a short time and figure out if we are going to do the twice in the same year style. If so it will need to be coordinated very soon. Could those who have serious scheduling conflicts with either Oz in its own autumn or Europe during its Autumn give a show of hands so we can pursue that avenue or not depending on general opinion.

Shareholder--Excellent and thank you in advance for letting us all know the upshot of those discussions. If you DUS destined folk can let us know what a group of ten or so comes up with when batting the idea about face to face it would be of great help in gauging the direction we might want to pursue here. Looking forward to that post.

Currently the opinions are distributed as follows:

Oz 11
US 2
Euro 5
Flex 3*
*(note this number consists only of those who have stated a preference otherwise
but would go with another option if need be)

Opinions voiced so far are:

Possibilities suggested:
July or August
July 8-15
Anytime but June (if Europe)
August (if in Oz)
Early July or mid-late August
Autumn for each hemisphere (Nth, Sth).

Most conflicting dates are:
March 23-25
First week of July
Last ten days of July
17 August-27 August

Current head count looks like:

dhammer53
svpii (depending on the location)
ozstamps
smooth
Gaucho100K (depending on the timing)
violist (depending on the timing)
essxjay (Brewfest dates considered)
bbinchi
geo1004
mizu
Punki (timing dependent)
airoli (timing dependent)
eMailman (interested)
Vulcan
Law Lord (if Euro, not June)
Doc (place and timing dependent)
RK7 (if Oz in Aug.)
Shareholder
indogulf
Stimpy (Autumn in either place)
MRKEY (March, April)
ElizabethP (hoping)
auh2o
mjm

[This message has been edited by mjm (edited 11-05-2000).]
Old Nov 5, 2000, 7:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
mjm:

Thanks, Mike, for keeping the tally of responses and suggestions. In all fairness, I must tell you that my ability to attend will be "timing dependent." Being with a young company, it is difficult to predict my availability so early in the game but I really want to be part of the event(s) if at all possible.

I really like the idea of two wine tasting gatherings per year to be held in each hemisphere during its autumn. While I agree with you that it would be great to get as many people together as possible for one annual event, it seems that scheduling, air fares and award availability may make that a bit tricky for a number of us.

Thank you for taking the lead here - looking forward to it!

Bill
Old Nov 5, 2000, 1:48 pm

I would prefer a FT meeting here in Europe sometime next summer. My 2nd choice would be somewhere in the US. I have always wanted to visit OZ but I am not sure if I could afford it.
Old Nov 6, 2000, 12:52 pm

Great idea MJM, count me in! And glad to meet you on our mutual SIN-NRT mileage run! Congrats on making 1K, and wasn't that a great game yesterday?! Go Raiders! Fly By Night

[This message has been edited by Fly By Night (edited 11-06-2000).]
Old Nov 6, 2000, 6:14 pm
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Bill

I think that the schedule will pan out for most people wanting to show up. It would be nice to be independently wealthy and not have to worry about work I agree, but I am planning on having a "cold" for those two trips (as it looks like it will become). If you really think about it aren't you feeling a bit of a bug coming on that will bloom in the spring or fall some time?

Kempis

I think you will be covered. There is a groundswell of opinion wanting an event in the northern hemisphere during its autumn. Watch this topic for further details after the Dusseldorf session. We should be getting some good feedback from that crew. Many of the major FT players are going and that whole trip is indicative of the party and FT friends atmosphere that we are so lucky to enjoy here.

Fly By Night (Steve)

That was a trip literally and figuratively meeting a FTer in the seat next to me on a Mileage Run. I love when stuff like that happens. First of many meetings with the folks from these boards I hope. That you are a Raiders fan was a bonus. It was a great day on Sunday for all Raiders fans with that thrashing of our brethren from the land of good barbecue. Just Win Baby!

On a personal note, I had the opportunity to enjoy a bottle of Penfold's Cab Sav, vintage 1990 on Saturday evening. The first time I have enjoyed an Australian wine more than five years old. They cellar very well! Excellent drop if any of you come across a bottle. Had just gone from purple to a lovely brownish purple and smooth as anything.

I will do the next update after the people get back from Dusseldorf with comments unless there are any major developments before then.
Soon I will likely post a straw poll for two arbitrary dates (one in Europe in the latter half of the calendar year and one in Oz in the first half of the calendar year). We can move from that to a refinement or rearrangement of the times and places based on general availability and preference.

Mike
Old Nov 9, 2000, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was in Antibes yesterday and grabbed one of the local expat magazines and it had an article about the top reds from Cotes de Provence. Check out http://nordic.angloinfo.com/nordic/wine.asp and save it for when you visit.

And for the record, my vote is for Adelaide in March and Provence in October/November. An advantage to early November is the opening of the first Beaujolais of the season. This is a relatively big event in Provence each year.
Old Nov 9, 2000, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The updated URL is http://connect.angloinfo.com/cca/wine.asp

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 05-29-2001).]
Old Nov 9, 2000, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
A wine/mileage run is something that would be interesting to Karen and myself.

Currently, we are scheduled for France in May and early September in Sonoma. This is all very changeable.

Oz sounds very interesting and I haven't been to NZ yet. Another alternative might be early September in Sonoma.

Old Nov 9, 2000, 7:03 pm
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Stimpy and Bill Morrow,

Thanks for the input. Just wanted to acknowledge your comments and to say I will add them to the official tally/vote in a few days when our betrunken freunden report in after Dusseldorf.

On a personal note I am starting to lean the same way you are on dates Stimpy. Autumn all the way around.

Mike
Old Nov 12, 2000, 6:08 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Fall seems like a good time to me, too.

If Asia/AUS/NZ is the final decision, It would be an excellent opportunity for anyone who wanted to do an AA Platinum Challenge.
Also, for folks who want to go to additional Asian destinations; it would work well with CX's AsiaPass program (with add-ons where needed).

[This message has been edited by BillMorrow (edited 11-12-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.