FT wine tasting get together in 2001

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2000, 5:38 pm
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

FT wine tasting get together in 2001

One and all,

A repeating theme here amongst FTers is wine. I would like to propose a get together in 2001 (other than the already being planned LAS trip) whereby we gather in a location to be decided for a wine tasting couple of days. I envision those attending bring a couple of bottles of wine they would like to share with others. It can be from your home country or something that you just happen to feel is a good drop and want to share. We have some connoisseurs by default here after all the trips we take in F and C. There are so many regions represented on this board and I think it would be fun to have a thematic get together.

Selfishly, because I will be there then, I would initially suggest someplace in the U.S. at the end of June or the end of August, or London at the end of July. I for one would travel quite a distance for something like this if it appeals to enough other FTers here. Lots of idea generation to go on this one, but I thought it would be a good idea to start testing the waters now so if it materializes there would be plenty of travel planning time.

I think we need to insist that at the very least Mr. Martel make an appearance and maybe even talk on wine for a few minutes. Maybe we could do things like blind tasting with prizes of decanters, glasses or Screwpull sets. I love wine but unfortunately am still very much in the "taste and listen to others tell me about it" stage. I do think that where one finds wine lovers one finds some of the best people available.

Further thoughts and suggestions??

Mike
Old Nov 1, 2000, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Great idea.

I'm in.
Old Nov 1, 2000, 6:01 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I'm bringing the big cabs! This sounds terrific!
Old Nov 1, 2000, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I for one would travel quite a distance for something like this if it appeals to enough other FTers here.
Well I could suggest one country that is 7,500 miles direct flight each way from USA west coast, 10,000 miles from East coast, has a weaker currency than the Mexican peso, English (after a fashion!) is spoken widely, terrorism is nil, no VISA required, and also has a few half decent wines. And the odd touristic thing to see as well. The time of year chosen would be immaterial as that place is always sunny and warm.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 11-01-2000).]
Old Nov 1, 2000, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23-24;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
Ozstamps, do you mean Tonga or Vanuatu?

Old Nov 1, 2000, 7:11 pm
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Nah, he means New Zealand I am sure. ;-)

Oz,

If we could get it going in the Margaret River area or the Barossa Valley I would be there in a second. I am thinking soem of our European based members may shoot for a place closer to the mid-point between there and Europe though. Still, it is a great idea worth lobbying for.
Old Nov 1, 2000, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We all just LOVE our New Zealand neighbours here.

And Tongan wine .. now THAT would be an interesting drop. I think it is called Kava and will rot your back teeth after a few glasses!

Was just a thought for anyone wanting to crank up some serious miles. I am flying 31,000 miles r/t next weekend to DUS for the FT GoosenFest so nothing would surprise me how far some might come!

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 1, 2000, 9:15 pm

Great idea! May I suggest Napa Valley as a spot for the gathering?
Old Nov 1, 2000, 9:30 pm

Urrggghhh. All that sickly sweet pink Zimfandel that is blue. Or is it the other way around? The Napa Valley to allegedly taste fine wines when the world is there to select from??
Old Nov 1, 2000, 10:29 pm
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Now, now Geordie,

Although I am a native of the San Francisco Bay Area, I tend to agree with your sentiment, but I am shooting for people to bring their own favorites to this get together. As I envision things, the produce of the region is not as important as the people and what they bring to the gathering place. However, if we set this up in an area where people are going to be staying an extra day or two, we might want to allow for them wanting to continue their wine sampling journey in the surrounding area. Napa is but one such area. Others that come to mind are the Moselle Valley, Stellenbosch, Margaret River, Barossa, Hunter Valley, and that little country slightly north of Spain.

I hope this post does not sound to snappish, it is not intended as such. Just trying my hand at this topic thing for the first time, and really want to meet up with some of you to drink some great wines.

Mike
Old Nov 1, 2000, 10:46 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

I would love to join. As usual, I cant commit until very short-term, but if I can make it I will bring 2-3 bottles of some red stuff from Mendoza.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Nov 1, 2000, 10:57 pm
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Gaucho100K,

Cool! I have heard non-stop from my friends in the know that I should avail myself of the plentiful great reds from down yonder (as opposed to Down Under). Actually I am huge fan of reds from Down Under so far and want expand my horizons. Hoping to see you there whenever it may eventually be.

Mike
Old Nov 2, 2000, 5:58 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Ditto what Gaucho says, but if I can come I'll bring something from the PacNW more likely than not.
Old Nov 2, 2000, 6:37 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Sounding like a broken record here ... I'll bring the Oregon pinot.
Old Nov 2, 2000, 6:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
What a great idea! I'd love to be there and would be thrilled to join everyone in "OZ", if that is the chosen venue, or any of the other places mentioned.

As for California wine, let's not forget that some excellent Cabernets, Pinot Noirs and "real" Zinfandels come from that state. It's by no means all sickly sweetish "white zinfandel" (although there's plenty of that as well as the heavily-oaked, butterscotch-like Chardonnays).

Having said that, I would be thrilled to have the event held outside the U.S. (gives me another chance to rack up miles!) and would suggest that country just *east* of Spain as a possible gathering place. MM-mmm. Love those Italian reds!

As for the Aussie reds, there are some fine examples being made in McLaren Vale, South Australia, where I went on a wine trail two years ago. Perhaps I'll bring a couple bottles of Drew Noon's "Eclipse" in any case. But I just might focus on the bubbly instead.

Looking forward to sampling the wines from the Pacific Northwest as well as those from Mendoza...both regions among my favorites.

Anyway, this will be wonderful - thanks, MIke, for starting the ball rolling.

Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.