Wiki Posts
Search

FT wine tasting get together in 2001

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2000, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I hope Bill and others note that Autumn in Oz is March/April. So get your miles in early and you won't need to do a run in November!
Old Nov 13, 2000, 2:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
Now that you mention it, I am feeling a bit unwell, and I am certain that Bacchus has the cure....

Fendant (unique to Switzerland as far as I know)

A local Graubnden Blauburgunder would be my contribution.

OZ would be a good reason to do a RTW.

For some reason, I tend to have a large number of visitors in Dec to Apr, and it is hard to get away
Old Nov 13, 2000, 8:17 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Okay fellow bacchanalians, it looks like it is time to consolidate opinions a bit here. I am seeing a trend for Oz in its Autumn (i.e. around March/April) and for Europe in its Autumn (specifically in October/November). I would like to throw it open to a sign up list of sorts. Can people post one of three ways in this forum to get a firmer idea of where we all stand on the more popular options. The three ways I suggest are :

1. Yes to OZ/ No to Oz in March/April
-- i.e. if you can/cannot would/ would not make it.

2. Yes to Europe/ No to Europe in October/November
-- i.e. if you can/cannot would/ would not make it.

3. Yor only real option if different than above.
-- This is to figure out to what extent we need to rethink the above two options.

My goal is to make it as feasible as possible for as many as possible to come to at least one or both, but I think we need to focus on a few possibilities at this stage if only to figure out if the above choices are or are not really not good for the majority of interested parties. If they are in fact manageable I would encourage us to try to use these though. I am not trying to discount those that have already stated other choices or travel conflicts, but rather seek to get an idea of if we have enough of a trend yet to constitute some serious planning to get an event going in Oz for the first quarter of 2001. I am quite prepared to begin the planning coordination for March/April if that appears to be the generally agreed best time to stage one of two events. I will also ensure that the second one gets equal attention to assure those with travel conflicts/ budget retraints, etc. to be able to attend an event of equal proportions. This is taking a very positive direction and the response has been terrific. I guess I am getting too excited and just want to start making some real plans while the momentum is high if we are ready to do so.

Please submit your vote/comments on the three above choices and we will review the situation after trying to decide among limited suggested times/places.

Looking forward to this more and more,

Mike

P.S. Any Dusseldorf survivors with feedback from any discussions on this that may have occured there.
Old Nov 13, 2000, 12:21 pm
geo1004

Yes to Oz, yes to March Oz, but no to April Oz
Yes to Europe, not sure about fall Europe

Old Nov 13, 2000, 1:13 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
1. Probably YES. Its best to avoid March 23-25 (Catman DO TROIS) and April 27th (Freddies).

2. Yes to Europe(Oct/Nov)
Old Nov 13, 2000, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly to Europe in the fall, that to OZ?

This factor should play an important part of the decision. And let's face it, some of us WILL be buying tix to get those miles.

Maybe we should tally how many will cash in miles, vs who's buying a ticket.

Dan
Old Nov 14, 2000, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It depends on where you are flying from, but its always cheaper to fly to Oz than to Europe if you are U.S. west-coast based. Maybe for east-coasters it evens out? But flying to Oz for Europeans can be expensive and very tiring. Of course if you stop off in Bangkok or Singapore and rest for a few days it's not so painful.
Old Nov 14, 2000, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Stranded for 24 hours in SFO on way back from the DUS DOOZIE. Anyone reading this in SFO and wants to catch up for a drink or dinner Tues Nov 14, please see seperate thread here.

From all who have read the DUS Daily Doings thread from Mizu, it will be clear the 45 or so of us who went had a TERRIFIC time. I sure did. LOTS of those there had not been to a major FT event before.

YES .... the concensus was, and these kind of friendly once or twice a year overseas gatherings were discussed by us a lot, was that many would come. I can report the idea of coming to OZ earlyish year had good support, and many would also attend Europe in Oct/Nov as lots of people do mileage runs and fares are cheap.

I can't speak for anyone else who was in DUS - those interested will I am sure post their preferences later on, but if I am around March/April, OZ is obviously easy for me, and am VERY keen on Europe October/November, and would make that a 100% confirmed right now, as my late year mileage run.

As to ticket prices to OZ, "low" season is roughly Feb/April (depending on when Easter falls each year) AND Oct/Nov for those who may wish to keep that in mind.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 14, 2000, 7:26 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Oz,

Thanks for the report. It looks like we are headed in the right direction now. We will make sure this does not conflict with the Freddies or the Cat's gig (and maybe get him out to one of the wine things. We could stock some Pepsi I think).

Oz, can I count on you as a local co-coordinator on the ground down yonder to work with me on the organization of this get together if it receives final go ahead in the coming days?

Maybe drop me a line via e-mail.

Any other opinions either way on the choices outlined in my previous post?

Mike
Old Nov 14, 2000, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
YES to Oz anytime between March and June as I will be in BOM, SIN, and BKK during that period anyways.

YES to Europe in the Fall since there are always decent deals from the US.

BTW, the post suggesting that some of us may actually buy our tickets is very valid. I for one would be purchasing my own tickets as I'm sure will many others. Just a thought when picking the dates
Old Nov 14, 2000, 3:14 pm
Commander Catcop

Since I don't know my career circumstances and other circumstances I can't commit to anything like this right now.

But: thanks Vulcan for reminding everyone about the dates for my CATMAN DO TROIS AND THE FREDDIES!

That would be horrible to have this trip conflict with My do. (like San Fran and my Toronto Red Green weekend in September!)

Old Nov 14, 2000, 3:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Yes to Oz, whenever ...

Yes to Provence, whenever ...
Old Nov 14, 2000, 4:56 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Yes to Oz, whenever ...

Yes to Provence, whenever ...

Thanks Sam, as I could not say it better myself.
Old Nov 14, 2000, 8:07 pm

Can't do OZ in March or April. Europe in October is a maybe. Europe in November is even a weaker maybe. Good old USA is still the best option for me.
Old Nov 14, 2000, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Yes to OZ in March/April
Yes to Europe in October/November

However...like "Catman" I cannot say what my career situation will be at either time so I can only say I am interested in those dates/locations and I hope to be at both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.