Wiki Posts
Search

Altbier in Düsseldorf in November

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2000, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
Altbier in Düsseldorf in November

Originally posted by Rudi in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum32/HTML/000218.html :
how about a 'Senator meets StarGold' - Flyertalker meeting on the weekend of nov-18-19 in Düsseldorf?

how this idea came up?: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../002374-2.html
Actually, the discussion circles around either Nov 11/12 or Nov 18/19...
Old Jul 17, 2000, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
November 11/12 does look good for me. DUS/FRA
Old Jul 17, 2000, 8:04 pm

I go to Germany 3 times per year and my next visit will be November as luck would have it.
Let's keep this posting updated from time to time as I have never been able to attend one of these events so why not make my first, a European experience. I will do my best to coordinate my schedule so count me in.
Old Jul 17, 2000, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
We could be there the previous week, like the 11th, 12th. I would hate to be so close and miss out on my first European FT Get Together.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 07-17-2000).]
Old Jul 17, 2000, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
So tentatively that is so far:

MIZU
RUDI
BERNIE
THE BANDIT
PUNKI
OZSTAMPS
Old Jul 17, 2000, 11:20 pm
In Memoriam

Living here, any of these dates will fit for me. The weekends before and after these dates: No way getting hotel rooms at reasonable rates b/c there are some of the busiest fairs at the fairgrounds. I'd be glad to show you around and organize this event. Never imagined my first FT Get Together being "at home".

Traditionally here in the "Rheinland" with St. Martin's Day (nov 10th) starts "Martinsgans-Essen" (St. Martin's Goose Dinner)at almost any restaurant in town for the next two or three weeks - well not at the chinese restaurants, of course, they prefer "Peking Duck" all year.
Could be fun !!

Nov 11th at 11:11 am there is another tradition: Start of the Carnival Season. In no way that big an event as the "Three Mad Days" in Feb/March itself (not 2 million visitors, just some 30 K - hardcore carnivalists only) but the Altstadt could be a little different than on other days.

What else to do ?
As mentioned on the other thread, Düsseldorf is famous for it's Altstadt - a world of pubs, eateries, discos the within just one square km. Not to forget the breweries, which brew the "Altbier" a traditionally made beer specialty - dark and "dangerous". A kind of it's own is the "Uerige", one of the last breweries still privately owned. Here you'll meet CEO's and PM's chatting with construction workers. Waiters being rude sometimes is part of it. Don't even try to order something else than "Alt"(bier)

Düsseldorf is also famous for it's "Königsallee" - a street originally built by the city officials as an excuse and appeasement to the King, which had been thrown with horse - **** at by the Düsseldorfers, when visiting the city. Today one of the most elegant and best shopping areas in Germany. Could be a deal due to the week Euro.

We Düsseldorfers don't like our neighbors on the wrong (other) side of the Rhine, but to guests I need to mention
Yes, Cologne is just a 20 min train ride away, has a really impressive cathedral, was founded by the Romans some years ago and it's Roman-German museum is really worth a visit - if anybody should be interested.

Old Jul 18, 2000, 1:22 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
both weekends seem to work out fine with me (no, not both, one of them and than I must recover a whole week I think ...).
Old Jul 18, 2000, 4:23 am
In Memoriam

No more skiing during Thanksgiving ? Would be of some continuity:

Erst Gans dann Truthahn

Old Jul 18, 2000, 5:15 am
Original Member

I defenetly don’t want to miss the 11-11-2000, at 11:11 hours in Düsseldorf!

[*]Confirmation Number: NNNNNNNNN[*]Outlined below is your reservation information: [*]Property Name: Renaissance Dusseldorf Hotel[*]Address: Noerdlicher Zubringer 6, Dusseldorf, Germany, 40470[*]Phone: 1-800-468-3571[*]Arrival Date: Friday, November 10, 2000[*]Departure Date: Sunday, November 12, 2000[*]Number of Guests: 2[*]Number of Rooms: 1[*]onfirmed Room Rate: 179.00 German Marks[*]Room Description: RENAISSANCE RENDEZVOUS*DELUXE ROOM*(1QUEN,1KNG OR 2DBLS)*RATE IN DMK INC TAX AND SVC * INC 2 BFST * W/RESTRICTIONS*MAX[*]Rate Plan Description: LEISURE RATE CARD GUARANTEE UNLESS DEPOSIT REQUIRED[*]Cancellation Information: 4pm local time day of arrival (policy may be more restrictive during special events)[*]Customer Name: Rudi Martel[*]E-Mail Address: [email protected][*]Smoking Preference: Non-smoking (not guaranteed)
Old Jul 18, 2000, 7:15 am
In Memoriam

The Renaissance is the farthest away from downtown of the deluxe hotels. No possibilty to have a walk just "out the door", no shops, restaurants or entertainment nearby. Great rate, but you'll pay about 20 DEM each way downtown by cab.
Hilton, SAS Radisson are halfway between airport and city center. (Cab about 12 DEM)

Nikko within walking distance to major department stores and Königsallee. Steigenberger Parkhotel just exactly at the "borderline" between Altstadt and Königsallee - so you will just "fall into your bed".
Holiday Inn at the other end of Königsallee but within walking distance to all the buzz.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 7:42 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
"Armistice Day" poses a slighly higher logisitcal challenge since I am to be at a construction conference in california wine country November 7-11. But perhaps I can sneak away friday afternoon and take a SFO-FRA or LHR and be in DUS by the early afternoon on the 11th...call it a nice birthday (on Nov. 9th) present to myself.

The sooner this is etched in stone the more likely it will be for me !
Old Jul 18, 2000, 8:23 am
In Memoriam

So count on me. I'm in for sure.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 8:25 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I'll just hop over from London, so please confirm exactly which weekend in Nov for which city. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 10:46 am
Original Member

I just booked my flights today with LH:

Friday, nov-10-2000
LH 5517 Zürich (ZRH) - Düsseldorf (DUS) 20:00-21:20

Sunday, nov-12-2000
LH 5444 Düsseldorf (DUS) - Zürich (ZRH) 19:15-20:30

Old Jul 18, 2000, 1:34 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
Just tried booking IAD-MCO-IAD-BWI-DEN-SFO-FRA-DUS-FRA-IAD from the 7th to the 12th (routing obviously for best fare, not convenience...means touching bwi trans-con). But with 9 segments, the international fare desk will have to call me back tommorrow

[This message has been edited by kokonutz (edited 07-18-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.