Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altbier in Düsseldorf in November

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2000, 12:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Kokopuffs and Goldwater together in an almuninum tube for 14 hours? Lord, this is too good to pass up. Put me down as a possible ...

GK, what rate did you get at the Hilton, if you don't mind my asking? I couldn't get a reservation to price out at Hilton's web site.

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 07-21-2000).]
Old Jul 21, 2000, 1:18 pm

Hammertoad & Mrs 'toad are possibles. I've got 2 RT on BA (eek, coach ) that I need to use prior to 15 December (freebies from trying Club World last year). If BA or one of the partners can get us there, we will come!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Jul 21, 2000, 11:45 pm

Add me to the list of "possibles". If my schedule permits, and maybe I can work in a side trip to MUC as well.
Old Jul 22, 2000, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Mizu .. add me as pretty well confirmed. Just need to phone UA here on Monday so see if this weird routing is OK. About 30,000 flown miles.

so far, looks like:

ADL-MEL-LAX-SEA (then a sleep after 22-25 hours!)

Then SEA-DEN-ORD-DUS arriving Sat 11th, noon.

Then the "world's longest flight", Sunday or Monday: DUS-ORD-LAX-SYD-ADL, which with connections and non stopping along way is about 35 hours! Agent on phone said I needed a psychiatrist, not a travel agent!

Anyone else staying Sunday night, or are most leaving Sunday afternoon/evening?

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 07-22-2000).]
Old Jul 22, 2000, 10:48 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
try to be in downtown Düsseldorf on Saturday 11-11 at 11:11AM that's when the Carneval season officialy starts.

Somehow we will try to get those arriving around 10AM into town right away I hope. Please travel with handluggage only - so that you get out of the airport really fast.
Old Jul 22, 2000, 11:54 am
Commander Catcop

Regretably, I must pass on this entirely.

One of my friends wants to do a trip that same weekend, and it probably would be easier to do that financially and other reasons than a dusseldorf one.

Have a good time and bring me back a cat souvenier.

Old Jul 22, 2000, 1:38 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
Put me down as possible. I'm trying to work it out.
Old Jul 22, 2000, 3:11 pm

Bernie and Mizu,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post but it looks like I am heading in that direction. I took Rudi's advice on the Ren. Dus hotel at a rate of 179dm incl bkfst too good to pass up especially with the exchange rate. I am working on my schedule now but still cannot book the flights for as I normally only plan 6 weeks in advance but I definitely have to be in Germany in the 4th qtr prior to the holidays.

I know the Ren. is out of the way but it is an excellent rate unless somene can come up with a deal at the Hilton.
I just sent an email to my colleagues over there outlining my trip over this time period. Please count as a yes!
Old Jul 22, 2000, 9:04 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Tickets purchased. Koko and I fly SFO-LHR-DUS-LHR together. Koko - now might be a good time to start those excercises.
Old Jul 22, 2000, 10:01 pm

Originally posted by auh2o:
Tickets purchased. Koko and I fly SFO-LHR-DUS-LHR together. Koko - now might be a good time to start those excercises.
Exercises? "twelve-ounce curls"?

Old Jul 23, 2000, 8:11 am
In Memoriam

So, status is:

Confirmed:
Rudi and Gisela
Mizu
Kokonutz
Bernie
GK
auh2o (itinerary under construction)
The Bandit
ozstamps

possible:
Punki
Curt
Anna S
Germanflyer
Greg99
Kempis
Reisevergnügen
Nathan Detroit
assxjay
hammertoad
counselor
phil

GK the only german phrases, you'll nee to know are:

For the cab rides:
"Zur Altstadt" or "Zur Kö" (which is the native's short version of "Königsallee"
ordering Altbier in one of the pubs:
" .... (no. of FT's) Alt, bitte" or, if you even don't wanna count yourself "eine Runde, bitte"
- and before leaving, of course :
"Ich möchte zahlen" or "Die Rechnung, bitte"
Instead of "bye" just say "tschüss"

for those attending the 11/11 11:11 there is a "carnival - cry" .... HELAU. It has (makes) no sense at all. Just shout it, when the others do so. But don't you ever shout "ALAAF" which is the Cologne version of that cry. The rivalry between these two cities does a lot of fun to us natives in either city, but this is a Do Not.

Well, I know there are still some weeks till November. Anyway here are two suggestions, what to do in D. with some local touch, so you can make up you mind on some stuff, which would be in some way "special".

For those arriving on the 10th
A.) Visiting a (ice)hockey game. This is a lot of fun, not just for the game itself - but for the crowd alone. The Düsseldorf hockey fans are considered the "best sports audience" in Europe - for their enthusiasm, humurous songs, ideas and (loud but fair) support to their team. I could arrange with some special catering and a souvenir bag - just for us. Attending a hockey game in the US is plain boring comparing the audience.

B.) A somewhat more romatic choice would be: attending "St. Martin's Parade", which is a winter tradition in the "Rheinland" to remember St. Martin, who was a roman officer before becoming catholic ... of course. There are a lot of legends to long to tell here, but every year that night some ten thousand Düsseldorf kids are parading through city center and every neighborhood, singing themed carrols and carrying themed lampoons. After that they go from one house or business to another singing (asking) for gifts or sweets.

Old Jul 23, 2000, 8:27 am
In Memoriam

DUS is not that big an airport. Usually you'll get your luggage quite fast (*A terminal). Some 15 (at DEM 25) minutes to get downtwon by cab. Make it 10 + 10 (15) minutes + check - in procedure, if you'd go to your hotel (almost any of the aforementoined) first.

wow ... FT Evangelist I became ?!
Old Jul 23, 2000, 10:07 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

Counsellor, exactly!!!
Old Jul 23, 2000, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Bernie .. the UA #952 direct from ORD gets in at 12 noon daily. Arriving then - is that too late for Ice Hockey game - sounds fun to attend? Not too much of that played here! i.e. read NONE. (Assume it is played in evening) in which case I'd come in a day earlier arriving Friday, if others are going.

Old Jul 24, 2000, 1:43 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
I have my ticket on the same flights as Rudi. I want to see how LH treats its favorite customer.

Rudi - Meet you in the SEN lounge.

For the moment, waiting on hotel to see what develops....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.