Reload this Page >

Altbier in Düsseldorf in November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altbier in Düsseldorf in November

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2000, 11:17 am

Being a true Duesseldorfer I feel I can not skip this important meeting. Also a good chance to replenish my Killepitsch and fill me up with good Currywurst. Laterne, Laterne, Sonne, Mond und Sterne: I guess FlyerTalk's spell-check starts to wonder about some of the contents of this thread. If anyone else will be flying around that time from NY, please let me know.
Old Jul 19, 2000, 11:37 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
willkommen (gruezi)
Old Jul 19, 2000, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally posted by bernie:
my goodness, Mizu, a Niedersachse becoming a Westfalian. What a terrible combination, transformation, The output must be some totally humourless human being
...Human? Who's calling me a human being?

At least we Muensteraner don't need to remodel our airport every 5 minutes with the slogan "We're spending 1 Million [of your money, that is] a day..."

Oz: We Westphalians have to keep what the Rheinländers promise

And, by the way, I am continuing the transformation towards a Californian - I don't know if it helps the humour, but, I mean, it's like, you know, way cool - it like totally messes up the language, dude!

Mizu

PS: Did someone say Kölsch?

[This message has been edited by Mizu (edited 07-19-2000).]
Old Jul 19, 2000, 2:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
OK, here is what is reserved (but not yet purchased until I make sure I am not totally insane):
Ticket 1
Tuesday November 7:
UA 881 IAD-ORD 10:05-11:00
UA 1650 ORD-MCO 13:35-17:05
Wednesday November 8:
UA 1219 MCO-ORD 8:05-9:54
UA 418 ORD-BWI 10:35-1:12
UA 787 BWI-DEN 15:00-16:45
UA 547 DEN-SFO 17:50-19:20
5679 miles/$584 (who cares, I don't pay this portion anyway)
I assume at some point during this itn. there will be a cancelation or missed connection and I will get to SFO faster but still get all my miles.

Ticket 2:
November 10:
UA 900 SFO-FRA 14:15-10:15 (next day)
November 11:
UA 3608 (oper. by LH) FRA-DUS 12:35-13:20
*FUN FUN FUN in DUS*
November 12:
UA 3607 (oper. by LH) DUS-FRA 10:35-11:40
UA 917 FRA-IAD 13:10-16:05
10,706 miles/$1492.11
That fare is killing me...but it is B class meaning 20,000 miles to upgrade the sucker and save 2 int'l certs. I'll keep trying for a lower fare somehow...
Old Jul 19, 2000, 2:37 pm
Original Member

I am interested in making it, but I can't make a definite commitment yet... so chalk me up as a 'possible'.
Old Jul 19, 2000, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Kokonutz: wow
...I hope you can make it. If you do I want to be one the first to buy you an Altbier!
Old Jul 19, 2000, 2:41 pm
In Memoriam

MIZU Don't you ever say that six-letter-word (K.....) when being here - or just stay where you are, drinking some terrible Pinkus Müller How does someone like you come along in Califirnia it's the Rheinländers of the US ??? Joking on DUS ??? Is FMO really some "airfield" or did you just a claim a three-letter-code. like you'd do with a domain name ?

Agreed, CURT. You'll have to have a very, very clooose look. Coming from the Pfalz there is still hope.

Well then, REISEVERGNÜGEN, welcome back home. I'd appreciate a lot if you'd join. If you feel you can't skip. Don't do so.As you well can see, I'll need some help against those Germans from these awful regions.
"Laterne, Laterne ... " How culd I ever forget. I'll find out, if this happens on the night of the 10th or 11th. Would be of nice contrast to carnival.

Ref. to the content of this thread, at least it's much more fun than some others. So expectations are rising, the weekend will have a lot of fun for all of us as well.

Old Jul 19, 2000, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I shall ask my wife if she is interested -- she was born in Düsseldorf, after all.
Old Jul 19, 2000, 2:45 pm
Original Member

Lufthansa flight 9418 operated by Deutsche Bahn on a Train
2 Stops

Friday,10 November 10:57
To: Duesseldorf Rail Stn (QDU) 13:30
Old Jul 19, 2000, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by bernie:
Is FMO really some "airfield" or did you just a claim a three-letter-code.
...Flughafen Münster-Osnabrück... beatifully located in the middle of nowhere, close to the A1. They even have a (i. e. 1) lounge Then again - you don't need it, because arriving 15 minutes before departure leaves plenty of time to make your flight, right? (Disclaimer: Don't try this at home - a colleague of mine got to experience the "Sorry, we've got a new on time policy...." - he didn't use the lounge... his office was closer and more convenient...)
I'm very much looking forward to the meeting - and if someone prefers moat castles over bustling Düsseldorf on Sunday, we've got about 100 of them only an hour drive up north from DUS. (Not that I assume anyone does, but just in case... )

Old Jul 19, 2000, 2:58 pm

In case someone missed my post in The Buzz I post it here once again.

This sounds very intresting. I will hopfully be able to make it, gotta check my schedule at work next week. I have also check up some rates on hotell(atleast while booked from Sweden) Radisson SAS has a price 200DEM for a single room while Rema Hotel Central has a price for 150DEm for a single. Rema is a member of the Utell International, the question do you make miles on that one?
One good idea is to try to get everyone in the same hotell or? Later on I could call Radisson SAS and ask if we could get some better price if we book around 10 rooms at once.
Old Jul 19, 2000, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
I would also love to do this trip as it will fall on my own birthday as well (13 Nov). Please mark me as a tentative yes but I'm investigating on lowering the airfare.

I do have a question though as to the option of flying into LHR and either taking the train to DUS (if possible) or buying flight coupons (similar to what Europeans can buy for North America) and use that LHR-DUS. Any suggestions? Thanks!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Jul 19, 2000, 3:25 pm

Anna
I hop you can make it. Check out www.europebyair.com or call SAS, Lufthansa or Austrian in the US cause I believe all of them has something similar coupons that we can buy when flying to NA.
Old Jul 19, 2000, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam

Great KOKONUTZ ! May I assure you, that you don't seem to be insane. Just one suggestion: Why not take UA's non stop via ORD. You'll get at least some more miles, could sleep longer (UA 953 leaves at about 3:45 pm - ORD at 5:30 pm ??) and you'll be back home right on time for a good nights rest.

MIZU right in the middle of nowhere

KEMPIS don't go to the Central. No miles - no comfort either.

HOTELS generally. I suggest just to wait some more time till everyone or the most at least are decided. It's just July, give one or two more week. Arranging meetings, incentives, events being part of my job (will have a meeting + evening ecent with 60 here tomorrow. People staying at the Mariott Courtyard at a very reasonable rate), I then would be glad to be of any assistance. As to my experience we won't get a good rate just one some vague no. of pax here in Düsseldorf. And we won't with just some rooms. I'll let you know, once we are decided.

So far this is for sure:
Rudi
Mizu
Kokonutz
James - was that schedule a YES ?
Bernie

undecided:
Reisevergnügen
Nathan Detroit
The Bandit
GK
Ozstamps

interested:
Punki
Old Jul 19, 2000, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi Anna,

from London to Düsseldorf via Rail - a possible connection would be:
- Eurostar from London Waterloo Station to Bruxelles Midi EST
- Thalys from Bruxelles Midi to Cologne (Köln)
- ICE from Köln to Düsseldorf
Connections every 2 hours, total time around 6 hours - I have no information about the prices, though. You could catch 3 high speed trains in one trip - pretty cool. However, I'm afraid the price will be higher than a regular eco round-trip LHR-DUS with Saturday night stayover...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.