Hokkai-Do, the Do formerly known as Japan-Do #7, 19-21 April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Official Do Dinner

Friday 19 April 7pm~10pm Do Dinner - Koropokkuru (post 114 for details)
Please add your handle if you are coming to the dinner as soon as possible and by Wednesday 17th at the latest. If you decide not to come please remove your handle at least 24 hours before the event and confirm by posting in the thread. No-shows will be charged the full amount (7,000 yen).

NewbieRunner
restlessinRNO
restlessinRNO+1
kirkwoodj
BigRedBears
CDKing (cancelled)
nme7
ClaudiSTR
nomadic.relief
kpc
kpc+1
CMK10 (cancelled)
Gary STL
Gary STL+1
upup&away
lking
TravelKane
krazykanuck
Sykes
The_Wrath_of_Khan+2
armagebedar
keitherson

- - - - -

Registration is not compulsory for other activities during the Do. However, it would help if those intending to come can add their handle below.

Thursday 18 April 7pm~ Welcome drinks - T’CAFE at the T38 Observation Deck of the JR Tower (see post 115)

restlessinRNO
restlessinRNO+1
CDKing
nme7
nomadic.relief (maybe, exhaustion dependent)
kpc
kpc+1
BigRedBears (maybe)
lking (maybe. Arriving that evening)
TravelKane - if no delays from the airport
Sykes
The_Wrath_of_Khan+2
armagebedar
keitherson
NewbieRunner
kirkwoodj (if I make it on time)

Friday 19 April 10am~ (Walking) tour of Sapporo (Meet at Ōdōri subway station Exit 8 - see post 203 for more info)

BigRedBears (maybe?)
CDKing
nme7
nomadic.relief (maybe?)
kpc
kpc+1
restlessinRNO
restlessinRNO+1
Gary STL
Gary STL+1
lking
TravelKane
keitherson
krazykanuck (probably, will catch up mid day)
NewbieRunner
Kirkwoodj

Saturday 20 April 9am~ Day trip to Otaru (see post 107)

BigRedBears
CDKing
ClaudiSTR
nomadic.relief
kpc
kpc+1
CMK10
restlessinRNO
restlessinRNO+1
Gary STL
Gary STL+1
upup&away
lking
TravelKane
keitherson
krazykanuck
NewbieRunner

Saturday 20 April - Optional visit to Nikka Distillery Yoichi

BigRedBears
CDKing
CMK10
Gary STL
Gary STL+1
lking , maybe
TravelKane
keitherson

Sunday 21 April 10am~ Historical Village of Hokkaido (see post 111)

CDKing
ClaudiSTR
nomadic.relief
upup&away
lking
TravelKane
krazykanuck
NewbieRunner
beckoa

Monday 22 April - Tuesday 23 April : Post-Do in Noboribetsu Onsen

ClaudiSTR
kpc
kpc+1
NewbieRunner
BigRedBears +1
nomadic.relief
beckoa
Print Wikipost

Hokkai-Do, the Do formerly known as Japan-Do #7, 19-21 April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BA, AA
Interested and would like Hokkaido!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Looks like I’ve got flights to/from Tokyo sorted out, so guess I’m in!
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Bummer - this is one week before our next trip to Japan.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
Flights are booked (thanks to the recent Air China sale), so I‘m in.

Arriving Friday around noon in CTS. Not sure, whether staying at Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza. There‘s some time to decide on this later, I suppose .
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:18 pm

My flights are booked... well as far as PEK (yes, yes, I know wrong country, but I got a darn good AC fare and it shouldn't be too hard to get to CTS from there whether or not I actually enter the country). I should be in CTS sometime April 18th, booked in at the Mercure until 22nd. Will need to be in PEK again for April 29th, so I'll keep my eye out any post-Do plans. Without anything more concrete, going back to Tokyo or Osaka are in the running.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
My flights are booked... well as far as PEK (yes, yes, I know wrong country, but I got a darn good AC fare and it shouldn't be too hard to get to CTS from there whether or not I actually enter the country). I should be in CTS sometime April 18th, booked in at the Mercure until 22nd. Will need to be in PEK again for April 29th, so I'll keep my eye out any post-Do plans. Without anything more concrete, going back to Tokyo or Osaka are in the running.
I'm debating booking one of the PEK deals that gave come up as low as $1400 LAX-PEK on China Southern up to $2200 on Hainan. I my dump my wild award routing (which is to ICN) and book to PEK and position to CTS form there. Though the positioning fares look to be twice that of ICN-CTS
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott LtP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Put me down as a maybe. I just got back from Hokkaido and had such a great time I may want to go back in April.

NewbieRunner was right... the clock tower is back in action. Apparently there's a museum type exhibit inside that shares about the western influence on the growth of Sapporo/Hokkaido.

Sapporo Clock Tower

Famous Sapporo Ramen with Shoyu + Shrimp base from Ebisoba Ichigen Main Shop (Definitely have to try the Shoyu + Shrimp base). Expect a wait here and at Kani Honke (famous Crab place with three different types of crab).

Sapporo Classic Beer (only served in Hokkaido)

JR Tower that is attached to the Sapporo Station
I recommend this hotel if you're not doing points. They have an onsen on the 22nd floor where they pipe in the hot spring from the ground and you can get a Shiatsu massage afterward. The views from the T38 observatory give you a spectacular 360 degree views of Sapporo. This may be the tallest building in Sapporo. I'll spare you the pics so you can enjoy it for the first time when you go there. Also there are tunnels that the general population uses in the center of Sapporo to get around. It's a really cool city. Try the Hokkaido milk and soft serve.
pudgym29 and FlyerEC like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Chase UR, Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham
Count me as 80% yes.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
To DO arrangers: please have all you can eat/drink Genghis Khan.

That is all.
harvardkim likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
We are very much hoping to attend, and have made a flexible booking for Thursday 4/18 - Monday 4/22 at the Holiday Inn Sapporo.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Just booked some EVA flights for the DO. I look forward to seeing everyone there again!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd like to make it, and think I ought to swing it. I'm starting a new job later this month so I'll know more after that. At least I worked out a decent J itinerary.

Edit: flights booked. I'm flying EVA J and stopping in Taipei for 3 days on the way, arriving in Sapporo Friday mid day. Leaving Monday afternoon to Seoul and then back to the US flying Asiana J. Will probably book an Airbnb for lodging.
nomadic.relief likes this.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Feb 2, 2019 at 9:02 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Chase UR, Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham
Count me and Mrs. GarySTL as two definite yeses. We have reservations at the Holiday Inn Susukino for 18-22 April.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
The moderator of this thread will likely modify it - but I regret to inform you I will probably not attend this Hokkai-Do.
The airfares from Chicago to Tokyo - not to mention any flights connecting to CTS -, are not showing up on any cheap airfares from North America to Japan.
In my vista, it actually looks likes the airlines have noticed there is a Japan-Do occurring in Japan this week-do, and hiked up the airfares to capitalize on this.
(Go ahead: Run my bots attempt to find a cheap airfare [
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=0#flt=/m/01_d4./m/07dfk.2019-04-15*/m/07dfk./m/01_d4.2019-04-23;c:USD;e:1;sd:1;t:f]]) - It is not happening.)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Woah, I just discovered this thread. I'm based out of SEL so this is just a short run for me. I read through some, is there an actual meetup happening or are we just gonna be in the same city? haha

I'm down as a maybe until I can confirm dates, but I definitely am interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.