Reload this Page >

Secret Santa 2017 Official Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: steveman518
The wiki is an UNOFFICIAL record of gifts received. Remember to PM wharvey when you send and receive gifts!
The wiki will be maintained by steveman518, however feel free to add gifts to the wiki as you receive them.

Uploading images
To upload images directly to FT posts, click on the little image button (next to the emoji symbol) and upload files
To embed images from outside sources, place the URL of the image between IMG tags or click on the little image button and paste the URL. Make sure the URL ends in .jpg/.tiff or any other image extension. To copy an image file URL from an image uploaded to another website, right click on the image and select "copy image URL" or something similar.

Gifts Received
aquamarinesteph #1
AStarr #1 #2
AtomicLush #1
bergamini #1 #2
b00mer89 #1 #2
Bravada04 #1
BXIAN #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7
canforce #1
Catman #1
CDTraveler #1 #2
Cjacq #1
ckidder331 #1 #2 #3
compubit #1 #2 #3 #4
CPH-Flyer #1 #2 #3
Dark Blue #1 #2
Deds1 #1 #2 #3
dee1843 #1
DeepUnderground #1 #2
DevilDawg1960 #1 #2 #3
diburning #1 #2 (part 2) #3
Dogmatick #1 #2
erikatcuse #1
flo-e #1
FlyingCow #1 #2 #3
ginoa724 #1
Gregor #1
gsch #1 #2
HeavenlyJane #1 #2
holloway1000 #1
HWGeeks #1
iMedic #1
jamesteroh #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
jetset09 #1
jcnkc #1
Jinxy #1 #2
JoelThomas #1
jondabomb #1
jsds #1
Karl Gustav Annus #1 #2
kauppias #1 #2
kipper #1 (part 2) #2 #3 #4
kirkwoodj #1
linzbh #1
Lisabeth #1 #2 #3
malexander131 #1
MappingChick #1 #2 #3 #4
Marcia3641 #1
mario02423 #1
mdbe #1
mdovenmuehler #1 #2
Meneer Guggenheimer #1 #2
Micp3208 #1
miko2a #1 #2
MissChele #1 #2 #3 #4
missydarlin #1
MrDplus #1 #2
nomadic.relief #1 #2
nwncl #1
obunewbie17 #1
ohlradio #1 #2
omriba #1
onetess #1
onlyairfare #1 #2
onthewaytoadventure #1 #2
PandaSoPink #1
Recondite #1
Redhead #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
samosa #1 #2
sammyindc #1
sandratravels #1 #2
santina91 #1 #2
ScGhost0 #1 #2
shutterbugguy #1 #2 #3
smc333 #1
spartacus #1
sperkins921 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
steveman518 #1 #2 #3 (part 2)
stingtx #1
sweetcreamytea #1 #2
tcl #1 #2 (part 2)
Thatguyatthebar #1
token385 #1 #2 #3
TokyoFoodie #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
Tpa-flyer #1
tzvilev #1 #2 #3
WIRunner #1 #2 #3
WriterGirlLinds #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
yunicorner #1 #2
YVRorange #1
Print Wikipost

Secret Santa 2017 Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
Santa Update:

I do hope people are taking care of buying and shipping their gifts.... I have a lot of empty spaces in my spreadsheet!

Reminder... when you ship or receive a gift... you have to send me a PM with details on what the gift was and any tracking information.
It's not even December yet!

I've made my selections, done most of the shopping and will be shipping in time for a Christmas Eve opening. Isn't that the requirement?
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Santa's Workshop
Originally Posted by sperkins921
Seriously, he can poll other Santas and ask for help? Because I asked already for more info from the recipient but the response they gave just didn't jog my imagination. I don't know what to get that person....
When in doubt, you can look at your giftees post in previous Santa threads (if they participated). When in doubt, send chocolate or gift cards. Who doesn't like that. As a matter of fact, the Elves are enjoying the Royce chocolate I got for them at duty free in Tokyo. It's half the price at NRT vs Bleecker St in NYC.

sperkins921, if your back is against the wall, please reach out to me. I'll see what I can do.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
I do want to remind everyone that Hanukkah is the 12th this year, for those of us who play for the other team.
HeadElf53 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Got my prezzies! Thanks Santa! Will post pic later
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: Southwest, Delta, Hyatt & IHG
Good evening,
My family was out of the country during the Thanksgiving holiday. My daughter and I just arrived back on Monday, and was back to work and school on Tuesday. I had assortment of Amazon packages on my door step, some included my personal purchase packages, some packages belonged to my neighbors that were misdelivered to my house; and, I believe I received 2 Secret Santa packages. It was a bit hard to tell, as my 5 year was opening all of the packages.

I wish I knew how to post pictures, but here goes...

First package included 2018 Disneyland guide book (looking to plan a visit to Disneyland in June 2018) and Whole food slow cooker cookbook.

Second package included AMC gift card, Marvel Spiderman character and DC Super Hero character. My daughter was so excited to get the character gifts. She said, "Mommy, finally a package comes in the mail for me." She opened the package and began playing with her characters right away and took one in our SUV to her school. My daughter signature clothing trade mark, is her clothes do not need to always match, but she must wear her Marvel character socks everyday.

Thank you so much for the gifts.

Happy Holidays to All.

Sandra
sandratravels
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
I received a box today from Michelle from target. Wonder what’s inside? LOL

Thanks Santa!

I’ll be sure to take pictures once we do our gift opening which is again right around Christmas Eve or Christmas Day
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by onetess
I do want to remind everyone that Hanukkah is the 12th this year, for those of us who play for the other team.
How would most folks know which holiday their giftee observes? If I knew my giftee celebrated Hanukkah rather than Christmas, I'd be happy to ship early out of respect for their tradition.

What would folks think of Wharvey adding "Which December holiday do you observe?" to the questions next year to make this event a bit more inclusive?
Tpa-flyer likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
I received a box today from Michelle from target. Wonder what’s inside? LOL

Thanks Santa!

I’ll be sure to take pictures once we do our gift opening which is again right around Christmas Eve or Christmas Day
Wow! It got there two days earlier than expected!

Enjoy!
MissChele
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
How would most folks know which holiday their giftee observes? If I knew my giftee celebrated Hanukkah rather than Christmas, I'd be happy to ship early out of respect for their tradition.

What would folks think of Wharvey adding "Which December holiday do you observe?" to the questions next year to make this event a bit more inclusive?
I think first and foremost that it would end up requiring a lot of extra effort from wharvey to chase down delinquents more often and to keep track of who needs to receives gifts when. wharvey also noted the lack of gifts being shipped, so having more time to shop and ship would probably be better for most people. Of course participants can always request gifts by particular dates, but having one official date for the whole thing I think helps simplify it.

I also think (and hope) that most, if not all, participants participate in this in the spirit of holiday gift exchange and that it's not exclusive or religiously motivated. If we started doing observed holidays, then we would end up with so many deadlines for different people unless you draw a line somewhere. For example, the next holiday I tend to observe after Thanksgiving is the lunar new year, with the next one being Feb 16 2018. If you want to make it nondenominational then you could request that this be changed to the "Flyertalk Holiday Gift Exchange" and set a (mostly) nondenominational deadline of the new (Gregorian) year. (hopefully not too OMNI)
tcl likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by steveman518
I think first and foremost that it would end up requiring a lot of extra effort from wharvey to chase down delinquents more often and to keep track of who needs to receives gifts when. wharvey also noted the lack of gifts being shipped, so having more time to shop and ship would probably be better for most people. Of course participants can always request gifts by particular dates, but having one official date for the whole thing I think helps simplify it.

I also think (and hope) that most, if not all, participants participate in this in the spirit of holiday gift exchange and that it's not exclusive or religiously motivated. If we started doing observed holidays, then we would end up with so many deadlines for different people unless you draw a line somewhere. For example, the next holiday I tend to observe after Thanksgiving is the lunar new year, with the next one being Feb 16 2018. If you want to make it nondenominational then you could request that this be changed to the "Flyertalk Holiday Gift Exchange" and set a (mostly) nondenominational deadline of the new (Gregorian) year. (hopefully not too OMNI)
You seem to have misinterpreted what I said. I'm not asking for a comprehensive range of holidays to be included, but this year there have a been a couple posts mentioning Hanukkah. While there are potentially dozens of religious traditions represented here, I recognize that to include every one is not feasible and trying to would be a logistical nightmare. Nor did I suggest that overall deadline, December 25, be changed. But if one more question was added to the list, "Which DECEMBER holiday do you observe?" those who wished to honor giftees of the Jewish faith could, at their discretion, ship in time for Hanukkah. It doesn't need to be made more complicated than that.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:17 pm

I would think that if anyone would like gifts by a certain time that can go in the about section, but that's just my opinion. Anything else I would add would only be OMNI-appropriate. Whatever works for wharvey

Last edited by steveman518; Nov 29, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Someone rang my doorbell at 11:30PM tonight. It was Amazon. They dropped off a package from one of my Santas.

Yum!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: Santa's Workshop
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/n...gtype=Homepage

I wish they'd keep these things to themselves.

Just for the record, as I've stated in past years, the workshop is all the way upstate at North Pole NY. http://www.northpoleny.com/
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
You seem to have misinterpreted what I said. I'm not asking for a comprehensive range of holidays to be included, but this year there have a been a couple posts mentioning Hanukkah. While there are potentially dozens of religious traditions represented here, I recognize that to include every one is not feasible and trying to would be a logistical nightmare. Nor did I suggest that overall deadline, December 25, be changed. But if one more question was added to the list, "Which DECEMBER holiday do you observe?" those who wished to honor giftees of the Jewish faith could, at their discretion, ship in time for Hanukkah. It doesn't need to be made more complicated than that.
I think I agree with Steve on this one. Adding anything where we split people into different holiday groups is just more work and stress for all involved. I have had people just say in their about section that they are or aren't Kosher or Orthodox etc. Occasionally, people have requested shipping or arrival before Hanukkah or let me know whether they were wanting the gift to celebrate Hanukkah. But to add that in as a separate question (i.e. which holiday do you observe/want to celebrate/etc) adds more tracking and more hunting down etc for wharvey. Not to mention, for those that have commitments that may affect whether they can meet the earlier Hanukkah deadline, it could conceivably mean that others also request NOT to have someone of that faith simply because they know they can't meet the earlier deadline. Again, a whole can of worms we just don't even need to look at let alone think about opening.

I think it works just fine how it is now, if that earlier deadline is important put it in the about/wants section to make your Santa aware and leave it at that.
HeadElf53 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:23 am

You seem to have misinterpreted what I said. I'm not asking for a comprehensive range of holidays to be included, but this year there have a been a couple posts mentioning Hanukkah. While there are potentially dozens of religious traditions represented here, I recognize that to include every one is not feasible and trying to would be a logistical nightmare. Nor did I suggest that overall deadline, December 25, be changed. But if one more question was added to the list, "Which DECEMBER holiday do you observe?" those who wished to honor giftees of the Jewish faith could, at their discretion, ship in time for Hanukkah. It doesn't need to be made more complicated than that..
I think I agree with Steve on this one. Adding anything where we split people into different holiday groups is just more work and stress for all involved. I have had people just say in their about section that they are or aren't Kosher or Orthodox etc. Occasionally, people have requested shipping or arrival before Hanukkah or let me know whether they were wanting the gift to celebrate Hanukkah. But to add that in as a separate question (i.e. which holiday do you observe/want to celebrate/etc) adds more tracking and more hunting down etc for wharvey. Not to mention, for those that have commitments that may affect whether they can meet the earlier Hanukkah deadline, it could conceivably mean that others also request NOT to have someone of that faith simply because they know they can't meet the earlier deadline. Again, a whole can of worms we just don't even need to look at let alone think about opening.

I think it works just fine how it is now, if that earlier deadline is important put it in the about/wants section to make your Santa aware and leave it at that.
You're imaging things that aren't there. The suggestion was to add 1 question to the list of questions which would allow folks to express a preference and then the giver could choose to ship for that holiday or stick with the traditional system. Each year when I receive my assignments, the info I get is simply the sign-up message wharvey received forwarded to me. I read it and act on it. I provide info to wharvey telling him when and what I ship and he tracks that data. No change that system is being suggested.

Also keep in mind Hanukkah lasts 8 nights and the date it starts changes from year to year. Last year it started on December 24. It wouldn't always mean shipping early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.