Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have been looking at trains - purchased sales flights to/from SYD - $5.80 on Friday, $2.50 on Sunday - Just need an "Opal" card.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:46 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by penegal

You could also fly to SYD and rent a car if you wanted to self drive, although the route to Newcastle involves driving across the city, and through the north shore before you get to the proper freeway.
Actually, you would take the Eastern Distributor (80 km'hr), Harbour Tunnel (80 km'hr), then the Pacfic highway (horrible road - 60 km'hr) before you get onto the Freeway (110 km'hr) to Newcastle. I would allow 2.5 - 3 hours for the trip from the airport but personally would recommend the train as you will probably be tired, and you can sleep on the train.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Thanks kpc - Pacific highway is what I am thinking of - anything but a highway... It's a shocking road.

I once drove from the Park Hyatt Sydney to the Crown Plaza Newcastle. The entire ordeal took more than 3 hours. Horrible experience.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
It takes about two hours with no traffic interruptions to drive from the airport to Newcastle CBD. I travel this route frequently. I use the Eastern Distributor, Harbour Tunnel, Lane Cove Tunnel and M2 up to Beecroft, join Penannt Hills Rd and then onto the M1. The train is very slow and painful. I would definitely hire a car and drive.
I avoid the Pacific Highway at all costs.

Please list me as Gold for this for now. Subject to rosters. I'll be in ADL until the Sat. No hotel required.

Last edited by Princess fiona; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Red face

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
It takes about two hours with no traffic interruptions to drive from the airport to Newcastle CBD. I travel this route frequently. I use the Eastern Distributor, Harbour Tunnel, Lane Cove Tunnel and M2 up to Beecroft, join Penannt Hills Rd and then onto the M1. The train is very slow and painful. I would definitely hire a car and drive.

Please list me as Gold for this for now. Subject to rosters. I'll be in ADL until the Sat. No hotel required.
I'm a right side of the road driver (US) & rented a car in Aus once and it was both stressful and hilarious. Wife kept getting in the right side of the car and quickly exited. Wipers went on half the time I reached for the turn signal. Swore never again.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Just wanted to say a fond "hello" to all of you who attended #2 (I think it was #2). To my recollection there were 6 of us, and my 2 kids (about 5 and 9 at the time) and I were 1/2 of the crowd.

P.S. - My bad, I just read the history. I guess I am thinking of a less formal event which was a dinner organized by OzStamps. Hope everyone has a great time!

Last edited by sbrower; Jan 26, 2017 at 12:14 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by Princess fiona

Would you like to share a train from SYD late Friday night?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:34 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

120 days to go

120 days to go to Oz Fest 14 at Newcastle, NSW
And today is Australia Day (26 Jan) [in this part of the world]. The day is not universally celebrated nor is it the day the country/federation of Australia was officially formed by all the colonies (that was 1 Jan 1901)

By Australia Day the numbers stabilise. Some confirmed attendees will drop out and others will sign up. Normally we only get 2 to 4 more confirmed attendees in total after this day. A few regular attendees are yet to sign up.

32 have signed up as Platinum Definite
15 have signed up as Gold Maybe - possible
4 have signed up as Silver Interested
0 have indicated Bronze can't make it

Of the 32 who are Platinum 19 are from Australia, 9 from USA, 1 from Canada & 3 from NZ

26 of the 32 are repeat offenders .
Only 6 newbies at this time

11 of the 32 have attended the last 6 Oz Fests (OOL KKE ASP PER CBR DRW)
12 of the 32 have attended the last 5 Oz Fests (OOL KKE ASP PER CBR)
10 of the 32 have attended 10 or more Oz Fests
25 of the 32 have attended 3 or more Oz Fests
2 of the 32 attended Oz Fest 01 SYD 2004 (21 attended) (4%)
6 of the 32 attended Oz Fest 02 SYD 2005 (58 attended) (13%)
22 of the 32 attended Oz Fest 12 KKE 2015 (41 attended) (50%)
20 of the 32 attended Oz Fest 13 OOL 2016 (44 attended) (45%)

Post 1 Introduction
Post 2 Attendees
Post 3 Activities. Who is doing what
Post 4 About Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Post 5 Hotels
Post 6 Flights
Post 7 History of Oz Fest
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:50 pm
In memoriam

Please mark me as Gold. Many thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
For the next six+ hours (until 11pm East coast Oz time), Virgin Australia has some cheap "Happy Hour" sale fares BNE (AUD75) and MEL (AUD85) to/from NTL.

These are valid for the OzFest dates.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: US, HH
You can sign me up as Platinum, flights and CP booked! This will be my first Ozfest.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So as a PSA - AA currently has flights from IAH-SYD for only $765 r/t the weekend of ozfest. Well many other dates too, but that didn't seem relevant to the thread.

I am running low on PTO (already) this year but could make it to and from Australia for my 2nd ozfest with only 2 days of PTO. Decisions decisions...

Edit: apparently its a nationwide sale to SYD on AA.

http://www.theflightdeal.com/2017/02...ing-all-taxes/

Last edited by krazykanuck; Feb 4, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So as a PSA - AA currently has flights from IAH-SYD for only $765 r/t the weekend of ozfest...
And another PSA, for those of a different religion: Delta and Virgin Australia have a 5-mile-per-$-spent bonus offer for the trans-Pacific portion of all flights between LAX and SYD/MEL/BNE. Travel must be completed by May 31, so if you want a longer stay down under, make the other part before OzFest.

Discussion in this thread in the Delta forum.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Grabbed one of those cheap AA fares. Happy to FINALLY be getting to my first Oz Fest after wanting to go for the last few years, but always having conflict.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Darn it, I missed the LAX SYD/MEL fare sale. The booking window ended yesterday.

Here's to hoping they come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.