Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
Attending a FT DO by Train.

We might have to think about banning you lot!
Then you would need to ban the Alaska crowd which has had two DOs fearuring the long train ride from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Recently as well, there was a DO at which almost all of the attendees partied to the Paso Robles wine country on a train from Los Angeles.

I would guess there were others but those are the ones I remember well.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Fredd
We'd be happy with 7 but can make it at 6 or 6:30 if that works better for others.
Let's lock in 6:30. May just be a few.of us. If.anyone arrives early they can grab a beer and wait for us.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by monitor
Then you would need to ban the Alaska crowd which has had two DOs featuring the long train ride from Anchorage to Fairbanks.
Yeah, but we took the train to catch a plane, do I think we get a pass
Old May 22, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Let's lock in 6:30. May just be a few.of us. If.anyone arrives early they can grab a beer and wait for us.
Looks good.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by BOB W
Yeah, but we took the train to catch a plane, do I think we get a pass
Well, I'm taking a plane to catch a train (or two); the reverse Sunday.

So all good.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:22 pm

Gorgeous night in Melbourne last night. Here two more nights before I move up to Sydney on Thursday.

Old May 22, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Tom in my experience it depends whether your hotel has lounge, if the lounge is good then hard to drag people away so later is better, if there is no lounge and there are people that are working then 6pm is probably better.

Remember sunset is around 5:00pm and dark by 5:30pm so an earlier time may be better.
No executive lounge at my hotel! 6:30 pm sounds great.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:28 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Nice to see the USA attendees exodus has begun. I was running through all our plans for the weekend - but all Mrs QF WP wanted to know was who's coming (Methinks she's not fussed on wine tasting and fighter world, rather catching up with our friends ).

VA are trying to get me to bid for an upgrade to J. Nope, happy with my whY seat for a little over an hour.

Look forward to seeing everybody on Friday night for drinks.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Spending a couple of days in beautiful Noosa before traveling to SYD tomorrow. Would like to join Tom911 and others for dinner on Thursday evening so plan on being there by 6:30pm. Will also be on the 12:15pm train to Hamilton/Newcastle on Friday. Looking forward to meeting up with everyone over the next few days.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I am catching up with Tom911 Wednesday evening before he heads to Sydney the next day.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-catch-up.html

If anyone would like to join in please advise.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:14 pm

Is there anyone planning on taking the 1215 train on Friday that is not dropping a bag with me and doing the morning tour? Thinking it might not hurt to have the flexibility to make the 1315 train instead if we're running behind. I know at least two FTers that could use some extra time for some of the walking portion.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
As much as I'd love to be there this weekend for my 2nd Oz Fest, I'm glad I didn't jump on that cheap AA fare I posted a couple months back, since as fate would have it I'm in the middle of a job transition and wouldn't be able to make it anyway!

Hopefully next year!
Old May 24, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
As much as I'd love to be there this weekend for my 2nd Oz Fest, I'm glad I didn't jump on that cheap AA fare I posted a couple months back, since as fate would have it I'm in the middle of a job transition and wouldn't be able to make it anyway!

Hopefully next year!
Lucky we caught up at the Seoul Do recently!
Good luck with the new job .
Old May 24, 2017, 1:01 am

I regret I won't be able to join folks for dinner Thursday evening. I am spending tonight (Tuesday night) at the LAX Hilton, courtesy of UA. <sigh>

My flight, RNO-LAX was held on the ground 2 hours 40 minutes, due to ATC delays in LAX. Apparently there are runway repairs there too (as well as SFO). The LAX-SYD flight of course leaves on time!

This is how US airlines screw their customers. The West Coast regional flights are held on the ground due to ATC, which is entirely predictable due to runway repairs, but the international flights arrive and leave on time. The airlines make no effort to address these problems. So UA pays for my hotel and I lose a day's vacation and a nonrefundable hotel reservation.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:04 am

Is there anyone planning on taking the 1215 train on Friday that is not dropping a bag with me and doing the morning tour? Thinking it might not hurt to have the flexibility to make the 1315 train instead if we're running behind. I know at least two FTers that could use some extra time for some of the walking portion.
tom911 - The 1315 train is fine with me. Actually I might prefer it. PLease keep in touch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.