Japan Do #4 - Osaka - March 25-27, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Thurs, 24 March
  • Welcome drinks 7:00pm (The In Place, Osaka Hilton, 1st Floor, Lobby Level)

Friday, 25 March
Saturday, 26 March
* Attendees * How to get to Osaka * Osaka Subway Map *
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #4 - Osaka - March 25-27, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:15 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Japan Do 2016 is just over two months away and the organisers are coming out of hibernation. Hotel prices are high but rooms are still available. If anyone is interested in attending the Do they should reserve a room as soon as possible since the end of March is a popular tourist season. Most Japanese hotels allow free cancellation up to a few days before or sometimes even on the day of arrival.

There will be no 'Do hotel' but many hotels are found around Osaka/Umeda stations or Namba station as you will see on this map. The day trip on Friday is likely to start in Namba while the Saturday trip will start at JR Osaka Station.

Planned activities

Thursday: Welcome drinks around 7pm at a central location possibly followed by okonomiyaki or a craft beer pub crawl.

Friday: Day trip to Nara to visit UNESCO World Heritage sites including Kofukuji Temple, Kasuga Taisha Shrine and Todaiji Temple (Big Buddha) with a walk through Nara Park.

Friday evening: Official Do Dinner in Osaka.

Saturday: Day trip to Kyoto. Details are still being worked out but in order to make the most of the day we will leave Osaka before 9am and return in the evening. It is not possible to cover even a fraction of the most well-known sites of Kyoto in one day. We will concentrate on the eastern part of the city and hope to visit Kiyomizudera Temple, walk through Higashiyama district with small (mostly souvenir) shops to Yasaka Shrine, Nanzenji Temple, The Philosopher’s Path, famous for cherry blossoms, and end up at Ginkakuji Temple (Silver Pavilion). We will cover the route on foot (3.5 miles plus visiting the temples) though we might be able to use a bus for at least part of the route. There may be an opportunity to have a kaiseki dinner in Pontocho before returning to Osaka. Osaka - Kyoto is 30 minutes by frequent commuter trains.

Sunday: There is no planned activity yet. A post-do trip is a possibility though we don't have a definite plan.

Other activities

Baseball: Hanshin Tigers will be playing against Chunichi Dragons as Kyocera Osaka Dome on 25, 26 and 27 March. No ticketing information available yet.

Sumo March Grand Tournament (final day March 27) Tickets go on sale at 10:00 on February 7th.

Suntory Yamazaki Distillery Tour: 1,000 yen, reservation is not compulsory but seems essential (booking for March starts on February 1st. All dates in February except for two days are already full.) More information may be found here.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
NewbieRunner - Thank you for the great work you and the organizers are doing.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:30 pm

Im currently in the interested to semi-confirmed stage. Currently searching for suitable air transportation options

Although on the saturday itself i won't be going on the trip with the group

Last edited by lowjhg; Jan 24, 2016 at 1:35 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Very exciting!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:32 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Friday: Day trip to Nara to visit UNESCO World Heritage sites including Kofukuji Temple, Kasuga Taisha Shrine and Todaiji Temple (Big Buddha) with a walk through Nara Park.
Be careful of the deer in Nara Park....they appear tame until one headbutted me last week and stole my map of Nara
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by kpc
Be careful of the deer in Nara Park....they appear tame until one headbutted me last week and stole my map of Nara
Presumably you did not need the map to find your way back ... Or did you use Lam as a guide
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

Suntory Yamazaki Distillery Tour: 1,000 yen, reservation is not compulsory but seems essential (booking for March starts on February 1st. All dates in February except for two days are already full.) More information may be found here.
So on what date/time do we book this?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
I am keen.

I will make sure that I am not driving my bicycle that day, so I am allowed to taste.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by TravelKane
So on what date/time do we book this?
I think it would be difficult to book as a group, given that it's Easter. Personally, I'm thinking of 23 or 24 March but it depends on what's available.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:43 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by kpc
The day before the unfortunate deer incident kpc, kpc+1 and I went on a day trip to Kyoto from Osaka to recon what NOT to do with a larger group in a busy tourist season.

Kiyomizudera Temple

Ninenzaka Street near Kiyomizudera

Tea shop near Kiyomizudera

Another tea shop
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I think it would be difficult to book as a group, given that it's Easter. Personally, I'm thinking of 23 or 24 March but it depends on what's available.
There seem to be 3 tours a day at 10:30-11:50, 11:50-13:10 and 14:50-16:10. Each tour is for 25 people.

The distillery is located about 10 minutes' walk from Yamazaki Station which is 25 minutes by JR from Osaka.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kpc
OMG... they look soo... 美味い!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
So the deer will headbutt you to eat a map? It is giving me devious ideas about putting a map on someone's back!

I'm thinking of doing the Suntory Yamazaki tour on Sunday.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: QF WP
Not sure how many of you can read this, but it basically says that the cherry blossom is forecast to open on 28 March this year in Osaka and Kyoto. So if you're hanging around after the Do, everything will start to look pink.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:40 am

ANA's Experience Japan Fare for HND-ITM is currently available up to 26 March. Discount tickets for the period starting on 27 March should go on sale in a couple of days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.