Japan Do #4 - Osaka - March 25-27, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Thurs, 24 March
  • Welcome drinks 7:00pm (The In Place, Osaka Hilton, 1st Floor, Lobby Level)

Friday, 25 March
Saturday, 26 March
* Attendees * How to get to Osaka * Osaka Subway Map *
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #4 - Osaka - March 25-27, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
The Japanese baseball season opens on 3/25 and it looks like there is a game in Osaka on 25, 26 and 27th. I will for sure be going to one if not all of them if anyone is interested. I'd definitely suggest one would be a great addition to any part of the itinerary.

Also on Monday, if anyone else is still around I'll be heading over to USJ.
I'd be interested to go to a baseball game too. Might have +1-2 friends as well
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:48 pm

I mentioned previously, but if anyone is interested to ski in Niseko before DO, I will be there on Mar 20-24.

Anyone knows if ANA has NRT-CTS flights are a) bookable with miles and b) leave ungodly early in the morning?
I'm currently flying into NRT at 9pm day before and taking 6am flight HND-CTS next day.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
If I'm not mistaken, I think JL121 (14:30-15:40) is the only flight left for the day that still has the +1000 yen Class J available.
How does that work? Do you pay cash in the airport or can you request upgrade online/on the phone?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
I'd be interested to go to a baseball game too. Might have +1-2 friends as well
^Sounds good.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
How does that work? Do you pay cash in the airport or can you request upgrade online/on the phone?
Just book ... when the options come up, look for those flights with 'Class J' on the right.

start at www.jal.com ...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jpdx
The Do weekend also coincides with the final days of the March 2016 sumo tournament. Highly recommended!
I would be in on some Sumo
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: QF WP
I might think about the sumo as well, although if i want to see the Tigers as well, and also drop by at the Suntory Yamazaki distillery... well, I'll never find time for all that.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can buy a J class ticket on JAL.com

Domestic J is often available much cheaper on JAL.com or through JAL's preferred agents. They offer a straight 1000 JPY mark up over the prevailing Y fare.

The public prices for domestic J are often much higher than what JAL would sell directly.

The 1000 JPY upgrade is also available at the airport, subject to availability. You might not get J points for your frequent flier programme if you availed yourself of this upgrade though [I'm not sure]. You do if you buy it outright.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:01 pm

Looking to take Peach or Jetstar KIX-NRT to connect to my return flight from the DO. Can anyone recommend one versus the other? Ideally I'd fly JL since I'm leaving NRT on JL but can't justify paying 4x the price over one of these LCCs.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by greendx
Looking to take Peach or Jetstar KIX-NRT to connect to my return flight from the DO. Can anyone recommend one versus the other? Ideally I'd fly JL since I'm leaving NRT on JL but can't justify paying 4x the price over one of these LCCs.
You look at ITM-NRT?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
You look at ITM-NRT?
Yep it's JL or NH for $239 on that route versus LCCs for ~7000JPY on KIX-NRT
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:11 pm

Against my better judgment, I'm in - tickets booked, due to arrive Friday morning. Sadly it appears I will miss the Nara trip, but I'll be there for the dinner for sure. (If anyone is going to do something sumo related Friday afternoon or Sunday, I'd be game.) Most likely sleeping in a train station at the moment, as all hotel prices are friggin' ridiculous.

If there's a post-Do Do, I'm probably in - I just need to make it to Bali by April, as my flight home is from there.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by greendx
Yep it's JL or NH for $239 on that route versus LCCs for ~7000JPY on KIX-NRT
I'm not an expert in Japanese fares, but that doesn't sound like a normal price. Anyhow, it appears that the JL website is only selling tickets up to 26 March at the moment, so perhaps try again a week later? I haven't checked NH but it should be similar.

If you are flying out on JL, they are often nice enough to treat it as if it's one booking, and check through the baggage and issue both boarding passes in KIX/ITM. Plus, you save a few dollars going to ITM instead of KIX.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I use hotels.com quite frequently and I did a search of Osaka for the dates of JD4. I did see some very affordable rates for "adults only" hotels. If you can get past that, I recommend reading the reviews from other travelers. It might be an option.

Did someone say "Suntory Time!" ???
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
also drop by at the Suntory Yamazaki distillery.
^ Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.