Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crankychick
Oz Fest 12
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
May 22 - May 24, 2015

Registration and Payment:
Logistical and Attendee Information:
Consolidated List of Links Referenced:

Thursday, May 21, 2015:
Friday, May 22, 2015:
Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Sunday, May 24, 2015:
Additional Information:
Print Wikipost

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:19 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Oh yes! Was waiting for the thread to start. Colour us both Platinum.

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
another option I am considering is flying to Brisbane for a day then flying to Auckland on Friday morning the 22 May.
Bundy Bear, that will probably be the day that Mrs QF WP and I will fly out as well. Conundrum is whether to fly out either Thurs or Friday night and stay overnight (well a couple of hours) at the Novotel, then getting the flight up.

Haven't decided whether QF or VA, but more likely to be VA for us due to seating, Family Pooling and the VA/ANZ tie in (even though I am likely to drop to VA Gold, seating will still be better than QF).

Last edited by QF WP; Oct 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:26 pm

I want to get into the Platinum list! Planning to arrive SQ on the 21st. Now, what about hotels? Is the Crowne Plaza in Akl centrally located?
No guest this time.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ac777
I want to get into the Platinum list! Planning to arrive SQ on the 21st. Now, what about hotels? Is the Crowne Plaza in Akl centrally located?
No guest this time.
Crowne Plaza is in the middle of downtown Auckland - a block away from stops for the airport bus.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Visa requirements

Transiting USA-OZ-NZ to get to OZKiwiFest, what will we outlanders need in the form of Visas to travel to the festivities? I know it is early, but don't want to be stopped at the border to get there or return home. Obviously transiting through OZ both directions.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
Transiting USA-OZ-NZ to get to OZKiwi Fest, what will we outlanders need in the form of Visas to travel to the festivities? I know it is early, but don't want to be stopped at the border to get there or return home. Obviously transiting through OZ both directions.
Nope. If transiting you will remain airside and not even enter Australia, so no visa required (assuming you are on US passport)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Nope. If transiting you will remain airside and not even enter Australia, so no visa required (assuming you are on US passport)
Originally Posted by BOB W
Transiting USA-OZ-NZ to get to OZKiwiFest, what will we outlanders need in the form of Visas to travel to the festivities? I know it is early, but don't want to be stopped at the border to get there or return home. Obviously transiting through OZ both directions.
Unless you have a hankering to leave clear C&I are leave the airport, none required for transiting Oz.

Should you wish to clear C&I (wijomas and I have done this a few times when the queue was super long for transiting passengers and it turned out to be much quicker), you just need to apply online for an ETA. Super easy, $20 USD and is good for a year.

You enter into NZ on 3 month visa waiver (US citizen).

Side story - I had a longish layover in SYD on one of my trips to AKL before moving here from the US so decided I would clear C&I in SYD. I completely forgot my ETA was tied to my old passport and not my new one from changng my name after we got married. Needless to say, I was asked to go back the way I came.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
The US comes under the visa waiver program for entry to NZ. You will need to fill out an arrival card which will be handed out during the flight, then produce documentation of your departing flight out of NZ to the immigration folks and you may be asked to produce evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself while here.

I will post a link with further information in the next few days.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Oh, and US e-passport holders can now use the kiosks to enter NZ, I believe!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
Count us in - myself and Mr Fifa are Platinum .
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:27 am

Put me down as Silver for now. (Home airport is QLS... or GVA if you will )

Interesting location for this Do and moreover will be for accommodation. Perhaps a couple of holiday homes or possibly camping may need to be involved? (Showing my ignorance here, there could well be perfectly enough hotels/motels/etc.)

Oh, and let's be clear, "Oz" is not NZ. (Just kidding, a minor ribbing to our Kiwi brethren...) Maybe we should have called this NOzFest, or NZOZFest or something.......
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:50 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Hey... Technically NZ is Australian territory according to your constitution!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by wijomas
Hey... Technically NZ is Australian territory according to your constitution!
You said it, not me, East Islander
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by anat0l
Put me down as Silver for now. (Home airport is QLS... or GVA if you will )

Interesting location for this Do and moreover will be for accommodation. Perhaps a couple of holiday homes or possibly camping may need to be involved? (Showing my ignorance here, there could well be perfectly enough hotels/motels/etc.)

Oh, and let's be clear, "Oz" is not NZ. (Just kidding, a minor ribbing to our Kiwi brethren...) Maybe we should have called this NOzFest, or NZOZFest or something.......
p

Accommodation isn't a problem in Paihia so you won't have to stay at the Pickled Parrot Backpackers or some such (unless by choice)!

http://www.bbh.co.nz/hd12/Pickled-Pa...w-Zealand.html

The area is well catered for with everything from luxury lodges to hotels/motels to cabins/campgrounds/backpackers, etc. Decent rooms can be had for around US$100.00/night.

There are no major chain hotels in the area.

Further information on accommodation options will be posted in the future.

Last edited by chchkiwi; Dec 6, 2014 at 11:52 pm
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Mark me down as Gold. Won't be sure about plans until the beginning of the year, though it seems likely that I'd be able to attend.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
I have got long service leave booked.

Last edited by JessicaTam; Feb 4, 2015 at 6:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.