Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crankychick
Oz Fest 12
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
May 22 - May 24, 2015

Registration and Payment:
Logistical and Attendee Information:
Consolidated List of Links Referenced:

Thursday, May 21, 2015:
Friday, May 22, 2015:
Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Sunday, May 24, 2015:
Additional Information:
Print Wikipost

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ozstamps
And good news for all foreign attendees is that the $NZ is generally 10% or so lower than $A, and right now is about 20% less than a greenback.

Things could change of course by May but those rates have been around the case for years
Hmmmmm wonder if I should convert some cash now?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:56 pm
In memoriam

I'm a definite. Now to work out flights!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:50 pm

Very excited to see the thread pop up. Put me down as a Maybe for now. Wish I could take a month or two off work to explore NZ but it'll probably hard enough as it is to get a few days or a week off this time around. But I'll do everything in my power to not miss this!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by CDKing
Hmmmmm wonder if I should convert some cash now?
It very well might be a good idea, if you can.

I can't guarantee it, but I'm betting on the NZD climbing back up to the mid 0.80's by May. Of course, our behind-the-times Reserve Bank governors will probably intervene again to "save the exporters" without considering the many many many importers and the science and tech industries, but this is a topic for another day and place!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by JohnSydney2000
May I politely add my name to the Platinum attendance list for this OZ fest, and thanks kindly to the volunteer organisers. John.
John,

This must be a record early response post for you. ^
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Put me down as a Gold for now.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Interested. Always wanted to go to New Zealand. But boy do I hate flying coach.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
May I politely add my name to the Platinum attendance list for this OZ fest, and thanks kindly to the volunteer organisers. John.
John,
I thought exactly the same. However for JohnSydney2000 (and BB) while listed as maybe, we always assume they will attend when trying to estimate attendees/costs/pricing at activities
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
I plan on being there as well, so add me as platinum, although I do have an event clash, which I will try and work around, last year the event clash worked in my favour, things can change.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I thought exactly the same. However for JohnSydney2000 (and BB) while listed as maybe, we always assume they will attend when trying to estimate attendees/costs/pricing at activities

John,

What Bill said,

Originally Posted by lili
Interested. Always wanted to go to New Zealand. But boy do I hate flying coach.
Buying PE or J from the US isn't cheap but not that expensive either, think of the miles you could earn, I hope to see you there.

Last edited by Bundy Bear; Oct 9, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
I plan on being there as well, so add me as platinum, although I do have an event clash, which I will try and work around, last year the event clash worked in my favour, things can change.
Air NZ have a non stop PER AKL flight, but that means going direct
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I hale always, always wanted to get to an OZfest. I just may be able to get to this one. Color me interested.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Air NZ have a non stop PER AKL flight, but that means going direct
NZ176 the non stop flight from Perth to Auckland doesn't run on Thursday 21 May 2015. another option I am considering is flying to Brisbane for a day then flying to Auckland on Friday morning the 22 May.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:09 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kpc
Can the organisers please clarify (when able) whether it will be possible to arrive in Akl on the Friday early pm, and catch the group bus? Otherwise, may have to fly Akl-KkE but would prefer to catch the group bus.Ta...
kpc,

That will all depend upon actual times and how they match up. I don't believe an actual departure time is set for the bus as yet.
Originally Posted by chchkiwi
Even if you took the earlier flight, after clearing C & I and arranging transport, it will take one to two hours to reach the city - especially on a Friday. Would it be possible for you to arrive on the Thursday instead? A few of us plan to be in AKL on the Thursday and will most likely meet for a casual dinner.
Originally Posted by crankychick
Indeed. The Kiwi Team will be working on this based on arrivals, departures, etc once more details are known.
My preference is to arrive in Akl at 1440 on Friday on the QF flight from Sydney. If that is too late for the group bus, then I'll probably fly Akl-Kke, and meet everyone there. Alternatively, I could come to Akl on Thursday but that means taking another day off work which I'm not too keen on doing.

Either way, it would be nice to know the departure time and pick up venue for the group bus to Paihia when it is known.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by kpc
My preference is to arrive in Akl at 1440 on Friday on the QF flight from Sydney. If that is too late for the group bus, then I'll probably fly Akl-Kke, and meet everyone there. Alternatively, I could come to Akl on Thursday but that means taking another day off work which I'm not too keen on doing.

Either way, it would be nice to know the departure time and pick up venue for the group bus to Paihia when it is known.
There are evening flights from Australia to AKL, departing early evening and arriving middle of the night.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by kpc

In order to get to Paihia at a suitable time for dinner and give people time to get ready etc, we'd probably need to leave AKL no later than about 2pm.

Logistics will be worked on over the coming days and weeks, but I foresee the bus possibly making two pickup stops - one at the airport (for those staying at airport hotels/flying in that afternoon), and one in the city at some central location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.