Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crankychick
Oz Fest 12
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
May 22 - May 24, 2015

Registration and Payment:
Logistical and Attendee Information:
Consolidated List of Links Referenced:

Thursday, May 21, 2015:
Friday, May 22, 2015:
Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Sunday, May 24, 2015:
Additional Information:
Print Wikipost

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
And good news for all foreign attendees is that the $NZ is generally 10% or so lower than $A, and right now is about 20% less than a greenback.

Things could change of course by May but those rates have been around the case for years.

All prices in NZ INCLUDE any GST, so Hotel bills etc are all shown including taxes. @:-)

So a '$NZ125 a night' hotel is around $US100 right now.

Glen
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by kpc
kpc (and likely kpc+1) will be there. As I posted on the other thread:
Can the organisers please clarify (when able) whether it will be possible to arrive in Akl on the Friday early pm, and catch the group bus? Otherwise, may have to fly Akl-KkE but would prefer to catch the group bus.Ta...
kpc,

That will all depend upon actual times and how they match up. I don't believe an actual departure time is set for the bus as yet.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
FWIW, We are booked on a 6:40pm flight out of MEL Wednesday night, arriving AKL after midnight - will overnight at the Airport Novotel (some 50 yards from International Arrivals). [There is a Holiday Inn as well but that requires an up to 30 minute wait for their shuttle or a disgruntled taxi driver.]

There is currently some Qantas (and hence oneworld) business award availability and plenty of economy MEL/SYD to from AKL around the weekend.

If leaving OZ Friday, I would suggest looking to arrive into AKL no later than Noon in order to catch any bus (although there are still some NZD73 fares at 4:25 pm for a 40 minute Q300 flight to Keri Keri). There is availability on the ~½ past 6 am Qantas flights to AKL on Friday.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 9, 2014 at 5:50 am
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kpc
kpc (and likely kpc+1) will be there. As I posted on the other thread:
Can the organisers please clarify (when able) whether it will be possible to arrive in Akl on the Friday early pm, and catch the group bus? Otherwise, may have to fly Akl-KkE but would prefer to catch the group bus.Ta...
Even if you took the earlier flight, after clearing C & I and arranging transport, it will take one to two hours to reach the city - especially on a Friday. Would it be possible for you to arrive on the Thursday instead? A few of us plan to be in AKL on the Thursday and will most likely meet for a casual dinner.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by chchkiwi
Hopefully you can make it to Kiwi OZ Fest
Ok that I can do

As per the earlier thread Ill be there, barring any unforeseen issues over the next several months. Looking forward to trying QF. Currently booked:

May 12 JFK-LAX QF16 (Y+)
May 12 LAX-MEL QF94 (F)
May 17 MEL-CNS QF702 (J)

Hoping to make it all the way up to Port Douglas for some Koala cuddling and reef diving/snorkeling. I'm probably going to book revenue CNS-AKL as its cheaper and easier than heading back to MEL to catch a direct flight to AKL. I currently see some VA coded mixed metal CNS-SYD-AKL for $277USD. I have no idea what the normal prices are but seems low enough I may book it soon

Returning is still up in the air as I don't have enough miles to book all the way to the US. Just waiting for points from 2 promos to post. Sadly the main flight I wanted disappeared a while ago so will have to reroute to hold something.

Current Return flights

May 26 NZ289 AKL-PVG (787-9 J!!!!!!)
May 27 BR721 PVG-TPE (J)
Really want the TPE-JFK BR flight

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 9, 2014 at 7:06 am
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb
OZFest ?

May I politely add my name to the Platinum attendance list for this OZ fest, and thanks kindly to the volunteer organisers. John.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Please put me down as a strong maybe.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Even though I will have to endure QF F on the A380, I will be there

Last edited by BOB W; Apr 9, 2015 at 9:49 pm Reason: changed travel class
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We are there as well. Our air reservations leave plenty of time to be where we need (and want) to be when things happen.

Details will be sent to serfty as soon as the dust settles since we may have some flight flexibility now that VA is a full partner with DL.

Thanks to everyone for putting this together since I know it is not an easy job.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I definitely will be attending.

I enjoyed OzFest #11 very much. It was a little out of the way, and it was a little expensive, but it was worth it! It will be a pleasure meeting everyone again. I note this thread is already, on day 1, on page 3.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:44 am

Im Platinum for this. Not sure where to stay at Bay of Islands though.

Likely booked on the EK A388 service to and fro, aka QF8764 and QF8763
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by ozstamps
And good news for all foreign attendees is that the $NZ is generally 10% or so lower than $A, and right now is about 20% less than a greenback.

Things could change of course by May but those rates have been around the case for years.

All prices in NZ INCLUDE any GST, so Hotel bills etc are all shown including taxes. @:-)

So a '$NZ125 a night' hotel is around $US100 right now.

Glen
Of course, all that changes at a moments notice when the US Fed tells us off for intervening in currency markets and making their economy worse

Bring back 1 NZD = $0.88 USD! (Though, that won't help our American friends...)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CDKing
Sorry I can't attend OZ Fest I will be busy attending Kiwi Fest
^
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
kpc,

That will all depend upon actual times and how they match up. I don't believe an actual departure time is set for the bus as yet.
Indeed. The Kiwi Team will be working on this based on arrivals, departures, etc once more details are known.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'm in. Save me a seat on the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.