Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:05 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by intuition
Will there be any other way to pay than through paypal? I would like to participate in the friday night dinner but I do not want to use paypal.
I tried to register and pay via Paypal, but Paypal rejected my transaction (I was in Japan). I'll try again when I'm back in USA.

Was there an explanation of what the $21.49 buys? I thought dinner was expected to be $50.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:24 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seacarl
Was there an explanation of what the $21.49 buys? I thought dinner was expected to be $50.
If you click "more info" on Eventbrite you will see the following. $1.49 is the booking fee charged by Eventbrite.

"You need to pay a US$20 deposit to book your dinner reservation for the Friday night. Eventbrite booking fee will be added to the deposit. You will then pay for your meal when you arrive at the restaurant and will need Japanese Yen. The deposit is non-refundable if you cancel within 7-days of the event."
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you click "more info" on Eventbrite you will see the following. $1.49 is the booking fee charged by Eventbrite.

"You need to pay a US$20 deposit to book your dinner reservation for the Friday night. Eventbrite booking fee will be added to the deposit. You will then pay for your meal when you arrive at the restaurant and will need Japanese Yen. The deposit is non-refundable if you cancel within 7-days of the event."
It doesn't quite tell where exactly the $20 goes, though. I understand it's explained as being a reservation fee, but who gets the $20 in the end? Is it credited against my dinner bill?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:57 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by intuition
Will there be any other way to pay than through paypal? I would like to participate in the friday night dinner but I do not want to use paypal.
You can pay on the night in Yen and we will add you to the list but we cannot guarantee a seat unless a deposit is paid. If you are attending the welcome drinks on the Thurs night, you can provide the deposit to one of the organisers...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:59 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tkey75
It doesn't quite tell where exactly the $20 goes, though. I understand it's explained as being a reservation fee, but who gets the $20 in the end? Is it credited against my dinner bill?
The $20 per person is held in a master account (by me) and we use that total to guarantee the reservation with the restaurant(s). The $20 will be deducted off the final cost of dinner.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by tkey75
You'll pay the difference between the actual cost and $20 in cash.

Oops I should have realized eightblack was online.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by eightblack
You can pay on the night in Yen and we will add you to the list but we cannot guarantee a seat unless a deposit is paid. If you are attending the welcome drinks on the Thurs night, you can provide the deposit to one of the organisers...
Thanks for the flexibility! I will attend thursday evening, and provide deposit at that time.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by eightblack
The $20 per person is held in a master account (by me) and we use that total to guarantee the reservation with the restaurant(s). The $20 will be deducted off the final cost of dinner.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
You'll pay the difference between the actual cost and $20 in cash.

Oops I should have realized eightblack was online.
Thanks, fellas! Hope no one thinks I was being a pain in asking. It's actually the DO activity I'm looking forward to most!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
I believe I reserved the last 10am Friday Imperial Palace spot.

Is it possible to do the fish market tour Friday and still make it to the Palace by 10am?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Many Topics

Has the location of either the Thursday night drinks or the Friday night get-together been determined?

The most economical and reasonably convenient way to get from Narita Airport to Tokyo is on the Keisei Line. The fare on the Limited Express is 1000 Yen, and you can take it to Nippori or Ueno, or change at Aoto for Oshiage and the Toei Asakusa Line.

I believe that if you want to get into the tuna auction at the Tsukiji market you need to queue for tickets at 4.00am. At least that's what I was told. Where is the 5.00am meeting point, and was it just to wander the market or do you have an inside source to get tickets to the tuna auction? If we are just wandering the market, we could meet later after the subway opens.

Where are we to notify you of our flights? I'll be arriving on UA 6 (ex SIN) at 14:55 on 28Mar, and happy to lead anyone arriving at that time on Keisei Line. I haven't boooked my hotels, so I don't know to which district I will go. I may book the Conrad since it's a short walk to Tsukiji market, although there is construction in the area. Happy hour in the Conrad lounge is 6pm-8pm. But if we are having a get-together elsewhere, maybe I will book closer.

Is there no chance of an NH or JL event? That's really too bad.

Finally, I plan to be in Tokyo next weekend, so if any of the organizers want to meet for a beer, I'd be happy to do so.

Best Regards
seacarl
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:31 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Where are we to notify you of our flights? I'll be arriving on UA 6 (ex SIN) at 14:55 on 28Mar, and happy to lead anyone arriving at that time on Keisei Line. I haven't boooked my hotels, so I don't know to which district I will go. I may book the Conrad since it's a short walk to Tsukiji market, although there is construction in the area. Happy hour in the Conrad lounge is 6pm-8pm. But if we are having a get-together elsewhere, maybe I will book closer.
There were rumors of a hotel/flight thread being in the works. Also, rumors about GH being the "main" hotel. However, I think the Conrad is a great choice, and we have reservations there from Mar 28 to Apr 1.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Has the location of either the Thursday night drinks or the Friday night get-together been determined?
I was sort of hoping the Thurs. night get together might be held at the Park Hyatt Tokyo as it would be somewhat close to my hotel, the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:24 am

I believe that if you want to get into the tuna auction at the Tsukiji market you need to queue for tickets at 4.00am. At least that's what I was told. Where is the 5.00am meeting point, and was it just to wander the market or do you have an inside source to get tickets to the tuna auction? If we are just wandering the market, we could meet later after the subway opens.
Procedures (courtesy of the Japan-Guide) are described in the first post. Anyone wanting to see the auction will have to queue at the Osakana Fukyu Center (Fish Information Center) at the Kachidoki Gate. I have posted a link to a Google map in this post (for anyone walking from the Conrad). Walking from the Hilton will take a little longer.

Tickets are handed out on a first-come, first-served basis starting from 5:00am (maybe earlier if there is a long queue). A first group of 60 visitors will be admitted to the auction between 5:25 and 5:50, while a second group of 60 visitors will be admitted between 5:50 and 6:15.

We cannot reserve tickets in advance so it will be up to each attendee to get there early enough to join the queue and to be one of the firist 120. The organisers might facilitate sharing taxis and provide maps but they cannot help with the tickets.

General public who are not part of the two groups cannot wander around as they are not allowed into the wholesale area before 9am. However, it will be possible to visit one of the informal small restaurants for sushi breakfast or to visit the outer (public) market.

If you haven't done so already you might like to check this multilingual guide. If you haven't decided whether to go there on Friday or Saturday, you are likely to be competing for a place with 30+ FTers as well as other tourists on Friday.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 19, 2013 at 4:49 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by qbrain
I believe I reserved the last 10am Friday Imperial Palace spot.

Is it possible to do the fish market tour Friday and still make it to the Palace by 10am?
Fishmarket starts a 5am. So even if you spent 3 hours there you have still 2 hours to get to the Imperial Palace. I think it is possible.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by tcook052
I was sort of hoping the Thurs. night get together might be held at the Park Hyatt Tokyo as it would be somewhat close to my hotel, the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku.
I'm looking at staying here as well! The price is definitely right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.