Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Actually, they seem to have tours available every day except during the year-end holidays, and you can book for a group of 10 to 50 people. The only catch is that the gift shop is closed on weekends...

http://www.jal.co.jp/kengaku/applica...anization.html
Ah ha I should have searched for 15 min instead lol. Gift shop no biggy. Anyway that will make packster happy I bet if jal is only option.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:46 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tcook052
Politely curious whether organizers have any updates on sights, events & activities.
Sorry, don't really have much info. The last update I have is we were trying to schedule a meeting with the carrier. eightblack will send out an email to everyone who has registered for the event before we are ready to accept registrations for the individual tours.

Last edited by JALPak; Oct 2, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:20 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by JALPak
Sorry, don't really have much info. The last update I have is we were trying to schedule a meeting with the carrier. eightblack will send out an email to everyone who has registered for the event before we are ready to accept registrations for the individual tours.
Yes, I've been working on this. We should have an update soon!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by armagebedar
Yes, I've been working on this. We should have an update soon!
ありがとうございます!
Thank you very much!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Waitlist

I just belatedly registered.

Is there a breakdown of confirmed and waitlisted participants?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:18 am

Looks like this Do will arrange max Japanese style last minute which will be exciting!

For those that haven`t booked hotels.... around now is a good time to relook at those hotels with insane rates and check whether there is cheaper rates. I saw Westin Tokyo with promo code Z3R for 20 k a night (stay 3 get 1 free) which wasn`t too bad.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by nor4
I just belatedly registered.

Is there a breakdown of confirmed and waitlisted participants?
Try asking that question here www.ask.com
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:57 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I'll be publishing a list of all confirmed attendees shortly and will clear the waitlist.

There are at present 109 confirmed, registered attendees with another 10 people who have not responded to their waitlist cleared email.

I expect at least 20% to drop out (ie something will come up, plans change, work will get in the way, people will change their minds etc)

The waitlist will run up until the end December, upon which time it will be closed (for good).

We have plenty of time still - 5 months. All the events and activities will hopefully be confirmed prior to the end of the year and I will be in Japan prior to the end of the year to meet with the airlines and the local FT organising team.

Stay tuned. And relax...it will all come together
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:14 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
I'll be publishing a list of all confirmed attendees shortly and will clear the waitlist.

There are at present 109 confirmed, registered attendees with another 10 people who have not responded to their waitlist cleared email.

I expect at least 20% to drop out (ie something will come up, plans change, work will get in the way, people will change their minds etc)

The waitlist will run up until the end December, upon which time it will be closed (for good).

We have plenty of time still - 5 months. All the events and activities will hopefully be confirmed prior to the end of the year and I will be in Japan prior to the end of the year to meet with the airlines and the local FT organising team.

Stay tuned. And relax...it will all come together
Excellent news....work won't get in my way as my leave has just been approved for this Do^
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
This morning I secured tickets on UA to NRT (preceded by a couple of days in Seoul) for the Do. This will be my first time in Japan, except for an unexpected overnight stay near the airport a few years ago. Can't wait to see everyone and the city!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:58 am

Reserved a room at the b roppongi for 7 nights, arriving March 28 and departing April 4. The buffet breakfast is a big plus in my book
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
There are people including some FTers who live in Japan, from choice or because that's where they belong. There are also people who visit Japan regularly for work or for family reasons like myself.

However, participation in a DO is completely voluntary. If anyone is at all concerned about radioactivity and wondering whether to attend the DO or not, I respectfully suggest they stay away on this occasion.

If anyone wishes to discuss the question of radioactivity in Japan further, there are other fora including the Japan forum on FT.

Let's keep this thread focussed on the DO itself.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Registration Update

Folks,

I have posted all confirmed and registered participants in the first post. You need to check if your handle is on this list. There are some duplicates - please let me know if they are your +1 (or not)

EventBrite, the registration portal is the source of truth when it comes to attendees. The system shows 113 registered - there are some people who are not yet members of FT. You will need to have registered your handle if you wish to attend (unless you are the +1 of a member)

There are another 11 people who waitlisted. I have cleared this waitlist - but many have yet to respond.

Drop dead date for final registrations will be Dec 31, 2012.

I will be in Tokyo prior to the end of the year in order to work with the local organising team re events and schedule.

Stay tuned...

SIMON
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:18 am

The first posting of this thread suggests a train trip Friday to another city, presumably returning Saturday to Tokyo. Is that idea still on the table?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:32 pm

Based on the above concerns should we change the location of the Japan Do to Okinawa or Sapporo which is far away from any radiation concerned locations? Just throwing it out there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.