Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerBeek
next meet-up:

Print Wikipost

The DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by br2k
So how often does this group meet? Can't make it this time (unless flight on Monday gets canceled)
There's no set periodicity, but I'd say we try to get together every 6-8 weeks. I'd recommend subscribing to this thread to keep aware of the next get-togethers.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I may need to bow out - but will decide by Tuesday. I am at LHR for flight to DFW. And then will be stuck at DFW for 2 days - so may not be in the mood for dinner on Thursday. Also concerned that the walking path from Tyson's metro to the restaurant may not be cleared. From what I am hearing - this snow will last for a good while.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cova
I may need to bow out - but will decide by Tuesday. I am at LHR for flight to DFW. And then will be stuck at DFW for 2 days - so may not be in the mood for dinner on Thursday. Also concerned that the walking path from Tyson's metro to the restaurant may not be cleared. From what I am hearing - this snow will last for a good while.
FYI - I have lived in DC (Logan Circle neighborhood) for 30 years and the longest I have ever seen snow stay on the ground (excluding weeks where there was additional snowfall) is 2 weeks. Based on the forecast where some melting will occur, there will definitely be snow on the ground (the grass) on Thursday. But this is a major shopping and office area, so the walking path (sidewalks) will be clear. Therefore, the snow on the grass doesn't matter at all.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by DCBob
FYI - I have lived in DC (Logan Circle neighborhood) for 30 years and the longest I have ever seen snow stay on the ground (excluding weeks where there was additional snowfall) is 2 weeks. Based on the forecast where some melting will occur, there will definitely be snow on the ground (the grass) on Thursday. But this is a major shopping and office area, so the walking path (sidewalks) will be clear. Therefore, the snow on the grass doesn't matter at all.

NOVA is not DC. In general, there are many parts of Fairfax County where nobody has any idea who is responsible for clearing sidewalks. Tysons's has, until recently, been very car oriented and I would not be surprised if there is a completely inadequate attempt at removing snow from sidewalks, necessitating walking in the road to get anywhere.

It should be doable, but wear boots and bring ice cleats if you have them.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the last time I was by the Tysons metro (at least 6 months ago), the block between the station and Founding Farmers was a construction-site-to-be ... even though there are a couple bus bays, I'd have absolutely no confidence that the sidewalk beyond the westernmost one will be passable, and even if it's somewhat clear or melted, the plow piles along the street will present their own challenges
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
My wife's office is in Tysons, and she drives past Founding Farmers every day. She's going to scope things out tomorrow with respect to sidewalk accessibility from the metro, and I'll report back.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I will need to bow out, as I need to stay at the office late on Thursday to catch up on missing Monday - being stuck in DFW - but I did get home late Monday afternoon. Next time. cova
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:37 pm

According to my wife, as of Tuesday afternoon, the block immediately surrounding the Founding Farmers (PwC) building has been cleared of snow for pedestrians, but the sidewalks from the Tysons station to Galleria Dr. (approx. 200ft) have not yet been cleared. I'm hopeful that as the Silver Line begins to reopen, Metro will be clearing this area in the next two days.

So, the dinner will remain as planned for Thursday, January 28th at 7pm. I figure if we can make WineDo 8.5 work last Saturday evening in New York, there's no reason we should cancel this get together!

If you are unable to make it, please update this thread's wiki no later than Wednesday evening. I will be confirming the final reservation size with the restaurant on Thursday. Thanks!

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Removed myself -- being out of work for 2 1/2 days this week has left lots of catchup.
Enjoy.
tom
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
For some reason I'm unable to edit the wiki, despite being able to when I put myself on the list.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow night either due to a backlog of work. If somebody would be so kind as to remove me from the list, I'd appreciate it.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by whatupbovice
For some reason I'm unable to edit the wiki, despite being able to when I put myself on the list.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow night either due to a backlog of work. If somebody would be so kind as to remove me from the list, I'd appreciate it.
Done.

Looks like it should be a pretty intimate gathering right now with just 5 folks confirmed. If anyone else is thinking of joining or canceling, please do so this evening. Thanks!

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I am in the middle of my third week of half days (0800-2000, give or take, although both Tues and Wed were ~0830-2245) on a major proposal effort ... while it's only a 15-min trip on the Silver Line from Ballston, I really don't think skipping out for a couple hours tonight is a good idea
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:42 am

We're now confirmed for 5 people tonight at 7pm.

Good news: I just called the restaurant and they said there's a clear pathway along the sidewalk from the Tysons metro station to the restaurant. ^

Looking forward to seeing everyone this evening!

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
We're now confirmed for 5 people tonight at 7pm.

Good news: I just called the restaurant and they said there's a clear pathway along the sidewalk from the Tysons metro station to the restaurant. ^

Looking forward to seeing everyone this evening!

-FlyerBeek
Thank you for checking it out!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
It was a good night out. Thanks to the inefficient service, we had lots of time to talk.

Thanks to FlyerBeek for pulling this together. (And neither the service nor my absurdly long wait for the Orange Line at EFC afterwards are his fault.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.