Last edit by: FlyerBeek
next meet-up:

Print Wikipost

The DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK. So let's talk about the 15th and a bit later than usual, maybe 730 this time, so that DCA writer can get there before the after dinner drinks (and we have cushion against a flight delay).

Also, I suggest that we make it close-in Arlington which is a really central location. Can gvdIAD provide some guidance for us out-of-towners?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
For proximity to DCA, I'd suggest either Crystal City or Pentagon City. We've done the former a few times recently and I will confess to a lack of excitement about the options there, so would lean towards the latter.

What about Sine Irish Pub? Reliable pub grub, Guinness on tap, congenial atmosphere. Other options around there are Lebanese Taverna, Ristorante Murali (which I have not been to so can't vouch for) or Epic Smokehouse (which I was not super impressed by at a work luncheon, but my boss swears by.)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhnadel
For proximity to DCA, I'd suggest either Crystal City or Pentagon City....What about Sine Irish Pub? Reliable pub grub, Guinness on tap, congenial atmosphere....
I'm not familiar with Sine Irish Pub but if you can line up a table for maybe six or eight for us for 730 on the 15th, we will be there.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Sine can be loud -- check to see if they have any performers that evening, which, while fun, brings the noise level up significantly. I leave for AMS in two days, returning Monday, so won't be able to do much reconnaissance this time. Definitely count me in as an attendee, though.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Bonefish Grill just opened at Pentagon Row (1100 Joyce St, about a block north of the plaza area between Sine and Lebanese Taverna)
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Zen Bistro and Wine Bar, about next door to Sine, looks interesting. I haven't been, but Foursquare seems to like it.

But if the Nats get past San Francisco, the Crystal City Sports Bar might be the obvious (but not so quiet!) choice.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer
Zen Bistro and Wine Bar, about next door to Sine, looks interesting. I haven't been, but Foursquare seems to like it.

But if the Nats get past San Francisco, the Crystal City Sports Bar might be the obvious (but not so quiet!) choice.

I've got a happy hour shindig to go to at Zen Bistro and Wine Bar on Thursday, so will see, but I think I've been there before and found the layout weird for a group.

Sine also has sports on TV.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I'm out on travel 10/9 to 10/13. I will be available for a get-together on 10/15 or 10/16.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by mhnadel
I've got a happy hour shindig to go to at Zen Bistro and Wine Bar on Thursday, so will see, but I think I've been there before and found the layout weird for a group.
Ah, it was the place I thought. Everything is 4-person booths, with a very narrow aisle separating them from the bar. That makes it awkward for groups who might want to mingle. (There is a bit of coffee table / sofa area at the back, but that doesn't really work for eating.)

If we could count on good enough weather for the outdoor patio, the food (at least the appetizers we had last night) is pretty good, but weather is iffy.

So I think Sine would work better.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I am right in the area and park in the complex during the day. Wed. Oct 15th works for me.

Zen Bistro is good. We had FT Community event there before. Sine is good, and not as crowded mid week (as compared to Friday night).

And of course the ORD FT Seminars start on Friday the 17th - will be there.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good morning. Is this dinner still on? Have any of the locals decided on a venue near the Pentagon City Metro?

Regardless, we are still coming into DCA about 6PM, staying in CC, will need to eat dinner somewhere, and would be pleased to join the group if it actually does meet.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by monitor
Good morning. Is this dinner still on? Have any of the locals decided on a venue near the Pentagon City Metro?
I am planning to call Sine this afternoon to make a reservation.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
This is for tomorrow, right?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Yes, dinner will be Wednesday night. mhnadel will advise as to the time once she makes a reservation, but I think she's shooting for around 7:30 pm.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
Yes, dinner will be Wednesday night. mhnadel will advise as to the time once she makes a reservation, but I think she's shooting for around 7:30 pm.
K. I'll be there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.