FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerBeek
next meet-up:

Print Wikipost

The DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Million miler
I've been sleeping instead of reading FT! See you tonight!

Lorna
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Can't make it. Next time?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:39 am

It's been awhile, but how about something to celebrate the opening of METRO's silver line on Sat 26-Jun? According to the wmata web site, there is a bus every 20 minutes from the Wiehle-Reston East station to Reston town center. I know nothing of Reston, but hey make a suggestion! Or even one of the other Silver line stations.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by headinclouds
It's been awhile, but how about something to celebrate the opening of METRO's silver line on Sat 26-Jun? According to the wmata web site, there is a bus every 20 minutes from the Wiehle-Reston East station to Reston town center. I know nothing of Reston, but hey make a suggestion! Or even one of the other Silver line stations.

I'll be out of town that weekend. But I can describe Reston Town Center for your benefit. It consists almost entirely of the same national chains as in every other outdoor shopping mall in Northern Virginia. The exceptions are Passionfish (part of the Jeff Tunks empire, but his only suburban venture) and Jackson't (part of the Great American Food chain, which is limited to NoVa).
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mhnadel
I'll be out of town that weekend. But I can describe Reston Town Center for your benefit. It consists almost entirely of the same national chains as in pretty much every otheroutdoor shopping mall in Northern Virginiametropolitan area in the U.S. The exceptions are Passionfish (part of the Jeff Tunks empire, but his only suburban venture) and Jackson's (part of the Great American Food chain, which is limited to NoVa).
fixed that for you

there's also The Tasting Room wine bar ... it's actually affiliated with Boxwood Winery in Middleburg, but has a considerable number of other wines available
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I plan to be on the first train headed to Wiehle-Reston East myself. Reston Town Center is a decent spot to hang out, and not an unreasonable walk from that station either--about a mile and a half. If you want someplace right next to one of the new Metro stops, there's a plaza opening up next to the Tysons Corner stop on the 25th that will apparently have a Shake Shack open on that day. Not sure how much else will be there, though.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:31 pm

Bump.. May not ride the 1st train that day, but do want to check out Reston. Weekend looks to be nice.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Is this a go? Are folks meeting up anywhere in particular?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:17 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Is this a go? Are folks meeting up anywhere in particular?
I am free this weekend, so unless an emergency derails plans, count me in.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:40 am

According to WMATA, the only definite time for events is the departure of the 1st train from Wiehle-Reston East, http://silverlinemetro.com/taking-shape/. As I live in DC and do not have a car, I doubt that I can make that event. I suggest that there be a meet up about 5-6 pm at Wiehle-Reston East station, then head over to Reston for a early happy hour. No planning, just go over to Reston and see what's available.

Just checked the trip planner. 1st train to Wiehle-Reston East departs Rosslyn at 12:39. I might try for that trip. Others???

Last edited by headinclouds; Jul 24, 2014 at 7:46 am Reason: found 1st trip time
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I like the happy hour idea. Might even mattress run to the Reston Hyatt after if the rates aren't too high (haven't checked).

Cheers

According to WMATA, the only definite time for events is the departure of the 1st train from Wiehle-Reston East, http://silverlinemetro.com/taking-shape/. As I live in DC and do not have a car, I doubt that I can make that event. I suggest that there be a meet up about 5-6 pm at Wiehle-Reston East station, then head over to Reston for a early happy hour. No planning, just go over to Reston and see what's available.

Just checked the trip planner. 1st train to Wiehle-Reston East departs Rosslyn at 12:39. I might try for that trip. Others???
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:23 pm

That's my plan as well, although I'd be boarding at Clarendon. But there's a possibility the Trip Planner isn't listing Saturday's first revenue-service train, to judge from a post SandBoxJohn left on Railroad.net's forum (for the uninitiated, he's basically Metro's greatest unofficial historian). I'll send him a PM about that, as I don't think he reads this forum.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:39 pm

Yeah, but who wants to hang out at E falls Church station waiting for a train to chnage its sign from orange to silver. Knowing Metro, they will tell everyone to get off the train, wait for a new operator, then open the doors. I just like the idea of getting on the 1st silver train that left Largo at Rosslyn where there is no doubt it is a silver line. According to google maps, the station is near the W &OD bike trail, so one can walk to Reston (while dodging the cyclists instead of cars)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:32 am

I've decided to just go out to Reston about 5:30 and see what's happening. Can't make the 1st trip at noon time.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Ya'll have a great time. Having grown up in New Orleans and taken public transportation to Hebrew school starting in 4th grade and then to junior high and high school, I have some interest, but my passion is more for old time street cars.
My parents tell me that when my grandmother babysat me in the afternoons she would get on the St Charles streetcar (which at that time ran as two loop lines one in each direction) because the vibration and noise put me to sleep.
Enjoy.
tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.