The Dubai DO - June 24-27, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:10 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
The Dubai DO - June 24-27, 2011

The Inaugural DUBAI “DO” – June 24-27, 2011

It’s officially on! The very first Dubai DO. What better way to spend a weekend in June than in the middle of the desert! With your closest friends from FT!

This is your chance to stay in some wonderful hotels, to do a mid-year MR and to catch up with FT’ers who actually live in Dubai.

While it’s too early to let you know of all the planned activities, we are in discussion with Emirates to see what might be able to be organized. The EK forum “heavies” all want to sit down and pow-wow with the folks from Skywards (but we will save the non EK guys the pain).

One of our EK forum regulars (who is an EK staff member) has suggested that we try and sneak a peak into the EK training centre. This would involve a tour of the crew training facility, which is in use 6 days a week from Sat-Thu.

It has full moving cabin simulators with smoke, turbulence, crash landings, ditchings on water and all kinds of things being re-enacted which might be fun. (his words, not mine!)

And for the 'techies' there are also the cockpit simulators. There’s another area of cabin mock ups which are used for service training and if it’s a manageable number, we might able to be hosted as being passengers for a group of crew going through their training and receive a full meal service - minus alcohol though (count me out for this part then…)

I will explore this option – and make no promises, so please no stalking me with “is it on, is it on, is it on?”. Which is nearly as bad as your kids saying “are we there yet, are we there yet?”

Be patient. I will try.

As most of you know, Dubai’s “weekend” is Fri and Sat. Sunday is a normal working day.

The plan is to arrive into DXB on Thursday sometime and meet up at the Grand Hyatt in the evening. We’ll be organizing the mother of all “brunches” (ie the all you can eat and drink) types at one of the hotels.

In addition, one very generous FT’er (who is a local) has already offered to host a BBQ at his own Villa on the waterfront, and there are a whole range of other activities folks can do, from hot air ballooning, to dune buggy racing to visiting old markets, to shopping in huge malls to checking out the Burj Al Arab, the “King Of Bling” 7-star hotel (see below)

I am happy to co-ordinate logistics until:
a. My liver fails or
b. My wife and kids leave me

Whichever occurs first.

And before you all bombard me with PM’s, we chose June for a couple of reasons. Yes, we know it’s hot. But the last time I looked, Dubai was in the middle of the desert. It also fits the DO calendar and doesn’t conflict with any other event.

July is when the “high season” fares kick in and right before the European Summer fiasco. Besides, after having seen first hand the general physical condition of the average FT’er at the recent SIN Do, I’m guessing not a lot of you will be coming to Dubai to run a marathon or participate in a triathalon.

What to do next?
Post your attendance in this thread (ie definite, maybe, never in a million years etc) I will then consolidate and add to the master list.

Below are links to common things you might need… (not yet populated)
If you would like to help organise any/all/part of the Dubai Do, please PM me. I am looking for as many folks as possible and I will be conducting a recon trip to DXB in the next month or so.

I hope to see many of you there for what promises to be a fun weekend in the sun!

May 22 - Program Update.
Head on over here for all the registration details
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1734845971

June 12 Update
The Agenda is now posted. Click here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16546602-post324.html

June 14 Update
Emirates day now on SATURDAY 25th and not Sunday 26th. We are simply swapping the agenda around. Check thread for details.

Last edited by eightblack; Jun 14, 2011 at 2:57 am
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:13 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Attendees

Booking Update:
All participants MUST register here
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1734845971

Gold - Confirmed (50 Maximum)
  1. eightblack
  2. ung1
  3. khalid26
  4. dedehans
  5. mrtdxb
  6. DYKWIA
  7. G_G
  8. w00t
  9. purdey
  10. Potakas
  11. Lito
  12. paranoiatx
  13. Brussels traveller
  14. meFIRST
  15. hausrath
  16. hausrath +1
  17. SMART51
  18. CubaLibre
  19. asiadxer
  20. enki089
  21. Prospero
  22. Hippo72
  23. artesa
  24. pjm1300
  25. sonoranjerseygirl
  26. From NYC
  27. claudiSTR
  28. alex0683de
  29. Savage25
  30. JTXC
  31. totrtv
  32. stanscan
  33. B747-437B
  34. runes
  35. powers106
  36. rcs85551
  37. Xlr
  38. derekmines

Silver - Maybe
  1. azygos
  2. EKglobetrotter
  3. torontoflyer
  4. torontoflyer +1
  5. DXBKKC
  6. EK380
  7. nogoingbackhome
  8. whizkid
  9. afhstingray
  10. Luvtworce
  11. Luvtworce +1
  12. askari
  13. askari +1
  14. uaworldwide
  15. shayaan
  16. mrx900
  17. RCyyz
  18. BondAir007
  19. typical
  20. beergut
  21. daria
  22. pbjag
  23. roadwarrior365
  24. kshastry
  25. elite13
  26. GigoloArt
  27. caspritz78
  28. aviatorzz

The list above is now current as of 16 June. All those people who were on the Gold list but have not responded to PM's or haven't registered via Eventbrite have now been moved to the Silver list.

Last edited by eightblack; Jun 16, 2011 at 12:44 am
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:14 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Activities

Safari Tours

Dune Buggy | Quad Bike | Hummer | Overnight Safari | Hatta/Hajar Mountain Safari

Dune Buggy Safaris offer a new dimension to off road exploring. Ride a twin-seater, 700cc buggy and set off on an adventure like no other. Your instructor will guide you around a natural trail of the dunes, picking up speed as your confidence increases. Ride at your own pace.

Quad Bike Safari Join us for the quad experience of a lifetime! Drive through the ever changing dunes; weave through the trackless desert, tackling both low and high dunes. Stop for a breather and soft refreshments before you set off again. This adventure safari is suited to the discerning outdoor adventure enthusiast and nature lover.

After being briefed on the rules of off-road driving and issued with your safety gear, take control of your fully automatic quad bike. Feel the adrenaline rush as the guide leads you through the challenging, sand dunes

Evening Hummer Safari It is the ultimate desert experience! Discover the exhilaration of this incredible off-road excursion in the world's most serious 4x4. This trip takes you into the magnificent sand dunes out of the city.

Arrive at the desert camp, where a traditional Arabian welcome awaits each of you. Enjoy the true Arabian ambiance, at this typical Bedouin campsite, with traditional Arabian carpets, low tables and cushions for comfortable seating.

At the desert camp, experience the camel ride, henna painting, try Arabic costumes or simply enjoy the aromatic Sheesha. Enjoy the splendid buffet dinner with a wide variety of barbecue meats, salads, main-course and deserts. The climax of the evening is the stunning performance under the star-lit sky by the exotic belly dancer.

Overnight Safari This safari is designed specially to experience the flavor of the desert. After the evening safari with all its adventure and entertainment, settle down under the star-lit sky and enjoy the sights and sounds of the desert night.
Wake-up with the desert sunrise and relish the warm morning breakfast after which you return to Dubai.

Hatta Mountain Safari Depart the city in the morning for the adventurous mountain trail. The meandering route takes you through lush greenery surrounded by the rugged Hajar Mountains with its tempting cool blue waters in the wadis. Stop to enjoy the peace and tranquility in the canyons. The 4wd vehicles proceed towards the Hatta Heritage Village to visit the old fort and its village.

On this safari traditional lunch at Hatta Fort Hotel is organized. After the days adventure return to Dubai with precious memories to cherish.

Special Interest Tours From Helicopters, to deep sea fishing, to indoor snow skiing, seaplanes, para-sailing, yacht cruises and more, Dubai just about has it all!

For more information on all tours, go here http://www.arabiahorizons.com/

Brunch

Weekend brunch is a favourite pastime for those who live in Dubai. Just as popular for visitors. Apparently, the major hotels continue to try and out-do each other each and every year. Prices are all inclusive and you can choose free-flow alcohol (or not).

I'll ask the locals to recommend a couple of places, but safe to say - be prepared to write off the whole Friday while we experience one of the best feasts around.

Here's a list of the Top 10 Brunch locations.
http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/38...ai-brunches/2/
We'll decide on which hotel later...

Afternoon Tea At The Burj

One of our forum regulars, DYKWIA, has kindly offered to organise afternoon tea at the Burj, the tallest building in the world. We'll do this on Saturday afternoon. Be prepared for afternoon tea to turn into cocktails...turn to DYKWIA for all the details...

Barbeque At Home With mrtdxb
Another of our forum regulars and a Dubai local, mrtdxb, has kindly invited us around for a "barbie" as we Aussies like to say. And drinks. Oh, and by the way, this is where he lives. Seriously! We'll advise timings/what day closer to the date.

*Images courtesy Arabia Horizons, Burj Hotel, Dubai-Architecture.info

Last edited by eightblack; Jan 30, 2011 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:24 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

FAQ's

1. What exactly happens at a DO?
Do's are social gatherings where the primary purpose is to meet other FlyerTalkers and to take in the sights, smell, food and wine of the city you are visiting. Obviously they have a travel "bent" to them and at the Dubai Do, we are trying to co-ordinate with EK some sort of airline related activity

2. Do I have to attend every event?
Not at all. Once the agenda has been finalised, you are free to participate in some/none/all of the events. In fact, if you want to sit in your underwear watching movies all day, you are most welcome. Why you want to do that in Dubai, I have no idea. But anyway. The whole point is to get out and meet other FT'ers, mix with the locals, explore the city, take in the sights, eat and drink too much...

3. When should I arrive?
Arrive anytime Thursday - or Fri am. The first event kicks off at lunchtime on Fri.

4. When should I leave?
Anytime Monday. Or later if you meet that special "someone".

5. Is the Dubai DO just for Emirates people or people who hang out in the EK forum?
Do's are open to every member of FT. We even accept people from the BA forum!

Last edited by eightblack; Jan 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:29 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Flights

UA runs a direct 777 service to DXB out of IAD each day (new J class config)

AA out of ORD/DFW to LHR and then BA to DXB

DELTA - Who cares...

EK - too many options, just jump on any EK flight and it will eventually end up in DXB

Last edited by eightblack; Jan 21, 2011 at 3:39 am
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:30 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Hotels/Accommodation

SPG
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...06%2F27%2F2011

Hyatt
Hyatt Regency Dubai http://dubai.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt...xtCorporateId=
Park Hyatt Dubai http://dubai.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/ho...xtCorporateId=
Grand Hyatt Dubai http://dubai.grand.hyatt.com/hyatt/h...xtCorporateId=

InterContinental
Holiday Inn Dubai http://www.holidayinn.com:80/hotels/...OutDate=27null
Dubai Jumeirah http://www.hiexpress.com:80/hotels/u...OutDate=27null
Crowne Plaza Dubai http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/...ilsearch&ias=y

Guests/Billeting/Boarders
If you live in Dubai and wouldn't mind a fellow FT'er crashing in your spare room (if you have one), I'm sure there will be plenty of FT'ers who would be grateful. Just post your availability below and I'll sort out the logistics.

Last edited by eightblack; Jan 22, 2011 at 4:08 am
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:16 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Sounds great. I am a "maybe".
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
This would tie in nicely with my July trip to Asia. Please list me as a maybe.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:30 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bschaff1
This would tie in nicely with my July trip to Asia. Please list me as a maybe.
No, my mother has banned me from hanging out with you anymore...!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Count me as a May be... Not sure which part of the world I will be in...

I also have to convince the SO about sneaking out for DO ( trying to get her on board on this...)
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:15 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Possibly
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:42 am

Silver card for me, for now. Will be able to firm up only in mid-may.

The Grand Hyatt is about 2-blocks from my humble abode so it should be an easy stumble home ^
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:10 am

Put me down as a maybe, please.
We were planning on going to Dubai for a couple of days in summer anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Maybe for me, although timing isn't the best.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.