The Second Annual Star Alliance Mega DO -- The official planning thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Second Annual Star Alliance Mega DO -- The official planning thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:45 pm

EQM on AC?

Last year EQM were offered to some *A members, but not AC, IIRC. What are the chances for Aeroplan members to receive a fixed number of EQM this time?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by okazon69
Last year EQM were offered to some *A members, but not AC, IIRC. What are the chances for Aeroplan members to receive a fixed number of EQM this time?
...or UA
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:04 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
I am really looking forward to this, seems like it will be a blast!
I am really gonna try to take the week off and participate!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: *Alliance
If you started the signup list -- I'm in. Since its the near the end of October will the final event be in costumes? (Nar my birthday as well. Maybe all us birthday kids will have to do something special for the group???
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by tommy777
In the back?? When have you ever been in the back??
Somehow I ended up in the next to last row, middle seat, for the SMD1 charter... but I kept a happy face, after all, I was surrounded -- literally! -- by flyertalkers!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
Originally Posted by okazon69
0%
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Are you guys planning to do a whole RTW with a single airplane ?

I'm not familiar with scheduling cost, crew rest etc but I would assume having for example a single UA plane would require UA Exchange Staff at each stop, the destination stations must be able to service the UA plane (maintenance agreement!) and the flight # / schedule plus eventual governmental permissions have to be organized just for this specific flight. Not sure about the real expense but it sounds like any eventual discount could be easily eaten up by these scenarios.

I heard from everyone the SMD 1 was an awesome event, however I could not commit to the time and expense at that time. It would have meant that I have to cut back on 2 'real' vacations and I wasnt willing to give that up plus it wouldnt have been fair to my other half. An RTW sounds like an even more massive event and I will already envy everyone going on that trip ! And deepest respect to Tommy777 and oliver2002 for going through this again ! ^
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:10 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Are you guys planning to do a whole RTW with a single airplane ?
SMD2 will not be a RTW. That'll be SMD3.

I'm not familiar with scheduling cost, crew rest etc but I would assume having for example a single UA plane would require UA Exchange Staff at each stop, the destination stations must be able to service the UA plane (maintenance agreement!) and the flight # / schedule plus eventual governmental permissions have to be organized just for this specific flight.
SMD1 involved a change of crew (at TLS) and special flight numbers. I've heard that a mechanic travelled on the flight with some spare parts as there was no maintenance agreement at OSL.

And deepest respect to Tommy777 and oliver2002 for going through this again ! ^
+1 ^^
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I heard from everyone the SMD 1 was an awesome event, however I could not commit to the time and expense at that time. It would have meant that I have to cut back on 2 'real' vacations and I wasnt willing to give that up plus it wouldnt have been fair to my other half. An RTW sounds like an even more massive event and I will already envy everyone going on that trip ! And deepest respect to Tommy777 and oliver2002 for going through this again ! ^
SMD I was many things, but certainly not vacation. In fact, I think most of us could have done with a vacation to recover from it.

It was great fun though!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I may be in, especially if a visit to our friends in Seattle is part of the program. Looking forward to hearing what a RTW itinerary would include. A week is a good timeframe for me.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
I may be in, especially if a visit to our friends in Seattle is part of the program. Looking forward to hearing what a RTW itinerary would include. A week is a good timeframe for me.
It will NOT be RTW. The info we have made available so far can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13307217-post143.html
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:35 am

The teaser info provided above sounds exiting. ^

Any idea when we can expect more details on this, especially about final dates / schedule of the trip?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carsonheim
OMG OMG OMG!!! I can't WAIT for SMDII! This past year's was soooo fantastic; one of the BEST times I've ever had!

My birthday is 10/20.... so this will be my birthday gift! YAY!!!

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
I like the dates Kiwi Flyer suggested (Oct 25-29). I can celebrate my birthday (10/28) while we are on the trip.
And my birthday is 10/25, so we can all celebrate our birthdays!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
by the way - I'm "in" for this trip! Just tell us when and where to sign up!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:01 pm

Oh man!

Conference in The Hague is scheduled 25-29 Oct is looking very interesting (I need to submit and abstract and be accepted first), but if I do apply and get accepted, you can imagine what that will mean for my participation in SMD II.

Aaaargh! So torn between two commitments................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.