The Second Annual Star Alliance Mega DO -- The official planning thread

Old Jan 8, 10, 2:11 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

All,

Happy new year!

Thank you all for making the Star Mega DO the biggest DO success in Flyertalk history! Yes, there will of course be a Star Mega DO in 2010!!

Oliver and I have already started batting around ideas for 2010, but we want to have a debate here before we launch an experience that will top the DO in 2010.

Key questions we need answered:

- How was the value for the money paid in 2009
- How many days can you be away to participate in a DO
- How much money will you be willing to spend

We are looking at a North American DO, but due to the exploding underpants incident and North American high security measures, it limits a lot of the fun we had in Europe.

We have also talked about doing a RTW with miles of course, time is of course the main issue, we would need to be gone for 10 days.

We are starting early to plan and our goal is to present dates and everything set in stone early March.

Please post your ideas and thoughts here.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Having it come out of or back into a weekend would be fantastic. I know having it in the middle of the week can keep attendance numbers manageable but it also shuts some of us out. But that's just me.
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Can I win again? (I got a tremendous ROI. )
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by Mackieman View Post
Having it come out of or back into a weekend would be fantastic. I know having it in the middle of the week can keep attendance numbers manageable but it also shuts some of us out. But that's just me.
+1, Leave on Thursday returning on Sunday would be perfect. I think prices for the first *A DO were reasonable but I couldnt swing a mid-week vacation that late in the year.
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
+ 1 on the weekend suggestion. I thought the value was good although if I had to do it again I would have done the charter in C, as the experience was much much better up there.
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

The problems with weekends is to get airlines and airplane manufacturers to put up an extraordinary program. It was of course our plan last year, but we couldn't get anything cool scheduled for Saturday and Sunday
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Isn't the REAL question "How many days in a row are Tommy and Oliver willing to go without sleep?"

I would say that if you want to keep the numbers really manageable, make it 10 days.

Then again, the longer the DO lasts, the more expensive it will be, thereby limiting attendance (and making it more complex for the DO organizers). If you also factor in the flying time to get to and from the starting and ending points, you're really talking more like 12 or 14 days for most attendees.

I think that the first *A Mega DO was the perfect length of time, at the right price point (hint, hint re negotiating a good discount for business class on the longhaul segments ).
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
The problems with weekends is to get airlines and airplane manufacturers to put up an extraordinary program. It was of course our plan last year, but we couldn't get anything cool scheduled for Saturday and Sunday
You were asking for a favor on the weekend from the French? ()
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike View Post
You were asking for a favor on the weekend from the French? ()
He he... Didn't even bother. They were actually on a wine break when we were in TLS
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree that the duration of the previous event was just about right. I was sufficiently incoherent at the end that I knew I'd had tons of fun but not so much that I don't remember any of it.
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If last year was Airbus, might this year be Embraer or Boeing? (Can't imagine Bombardier would be all that popular.)
Old Jan 8, 10, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

If last year was Airbus, might this year be Embraer or Boeing? (Can't imagine Bombardier would be all that popular.)
I can confirm that Boeing will be visited in 2010.
Old Jan 8, 10, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
I can confirm that Boeing will be visited in 2010.
Having said that, whether or not it is confirmable, I would like to vote for access to the Renton narrowbody plant in addition to Everett.
Old Jan 8, 10, 3:02 pm

Programs: SK EBG
I'm in for the RTW and anything else!

Just set the dates early enough so that it's possible to block the calendar.
Old Jan 8, 10, 3:02 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Depends on if arthritis sets in before then! Could require a lot of typing entries as I'm sure there will be much more competition for the ticket given the SUPER success of the last MegaDO.

Can I win again? (I got a tremendous ROI. )

Search this Thread
Search Engine: