Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by tommy777
- How was the value for the money paid in 2009
Great. The event was worth it.

- How many days can you be away to participate in a DO
If the schedule is as tight as it was only 3 to 4 days. I was really done and I didn't even need to fly across the pond.

Maximum is one week but then with a day off in between.

- How much money will you be willing to spend
Depends on the program. For a DO in the US I would have to buy a ticket across the pond, would need a hotel room, plus the charges for the program. Since I don't have many miles/points I would need to pay for all of it. So maybe up to 1500€.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Tommy, you might want to send an email to the StarMegaDo I participants w/ a link to this thread & get their input & maybe Talkmail? Cheers.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
!!

Sounds absolutely fantastic. Missed the first one, but am very interested in the next edition.

Time is not an issue for me (well, 80 days would be!). From all the good WOM I've read in various posts, the value of things that can't be bought (the experience) is so tremendous, it sounds like a must for anyone with the time and money who is a fan of *A.

If the DO hits up Asia, I'd recommend visiting NH and SQ. Especially with NH, there was this movie "Happy Flight" last year (not exactly Japan's version of "Up in the Air", but still heavy branding) about crew training, so tapping into that world would be a load of fun. Just a suggestion!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
For those not familiar with Seattle that want a comprehensive overview of the city in a short time, there is a tour vendor that I used last year who was absolutely spectacular. He might be interested in doing a chartered tour for us. If a city tour was in the cards, Tommy, let me know.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:50 am

Though I found the *MegaDO fun, I'd have to say it wasn't quite as good as I expected. It was expensive for what it was, and we could have done without the SAS portion and cut one of the days out to save on cost.

Having said this, the experiences were unique, and I'd expect a North American version to be no different. However, wrt the airlines, I am not sure how different the events can be from either (a) what they've shown before at the DOs, or (b) what LH & UA were able to showcase at the last *MegaDO.

A special tour of Boeing's facilities similar to the Airbus tour I would be interested in, especially if it involved the 787 (rather than the crappy public tour that is offered currently).

Including perhaps vintage aircraft flights (B52 perhaps) would probably be worth my time too.

Can't think if anything else, as it stands I'm not too excited about the prospects for a second MegaDO. I might go to certain portions if no charter requirement is there.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: Aegean miles-bonus,miles and more
Mega Do II

Happy New Year.
How was the value for the money...
Great. The experiences last for ever
How many days...
About a week, maybe more
How much money will you...
It depends. I calculate 2000-2500E
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I also think about 7 to 9 days is good length of time.

If we did do a RTW, it would require some participants to have to significantly "position" before the start of it. So, one thing I'd like is a good "positioning" fare before the trip start. Say the trip starts in Germany again, the a cheap coach and business fare to get there (from almost anywhere in the world) would be nice.

As for the RTW, if you're really looking at getting 100 to 200 people to travel the same trip, then we should be able to get a good discount. Personally, I'd like to do a business class ticket (if I can afford it), and it would be great if we could get some extra RDMs or EQMs. I was bummed that UA didn't participate on the EQM part last DO, but in the end it didn't matter to me.

Perhaps there could be a "core" part of the RTW trip with some extra at the start and end, like the last one, so that those who have more time can attend more functions.

I'd be interested in seeing more in SIN, BKK and NRT. It could be possible the the RTW could offer different airlines or routings if we could try and maximize the EQM in a particular program.

I guess what I'm proposing is that if we (you) go the RTW route, it would be good if not all long haul segments had to be on the same airline. Although many may prefer to fly SQ, some may want their EQM on UA or LH or some other *A carrier. The more flexibility the better.

If we could get a general discount (and extra RDM/EQM) on a RTW with one or more *A carriers, and a suggested flight route that included as many different *A choices as possible and a discount on the positioning flights, then that would be best. If not, then a single routing with many different *A carriers and flagship aircraft and routes, then that would be my choice.

But like everyone else on this board, I have faith in you guys to come up with something very compelling.

Do you have a timeframe in mind? Like about the same time this year?

Billy
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Maybe this year I'll be able to join, provided its during summer break..

I'm hoping a chance at looking firsthand a DO and a MEGA DO, so am psyched up.. Maybe willing to spend around US$ 5k onwards...
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
I'm new at this, but a RTW trip sounds great! And, 10 days is perfect for that.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:55 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CJ1120
Though I found the *MegaDO fun, I'd have to say it wasn't quite as good as I expected. It was expensive for what it was, and we could have done without the SAS portion and cut one of the days out to save on cost.

Having said this, the experiences were unique, and I'd expect a North American version to be no different. However, wrt the airlines, I am not sure how different the events can be from either (a) what they've shown before at the DOs, or (b) what LH & UA were able to showcase at the last *MegaDO.

A special tour of Boeing's facilities similar to the Airbus tour I would be interested in, especially if it involved the 787 (rather than the crappy public tour that is offered currently).

Including perhaps vintage aircraft flights (B52 perhaps) would probably be worth my time too.

Can't think if anything else, as it stands I'm not too excited about the prospects for a second MegaDO. I might go to certain portions if no charter requirement is there.
Thank you for your feedback.

In regards to cost, vintage flights are expensive and will cost upwards of what the charter cost was, so if you're looking for a less expensive experience, it's not the way to go.

I've done this one and it was fantastic, but it cost around USD400: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...museum23m.html

Also, the logistics of having 200+ people would be a huge challenge as the capacity of these vintage aircraft is minimal
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:08 am

Tommy & Oliver,

You're nuts! I'd like to add my feedback though. My #1 priority is how much time I'll need to be away from work. I'm lucky that I don't have a set number of vacation days...but taking extended periods off always causes headaches. I'd say the 10 day RTW would be the absolute max I could handle...and it would be a great help if we did 1 week + weekends (or something similar) to avoid M-F absenses!

As far as the value for the $ ... I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Enough said.

A North America MegaDO would be particular convenient for lots of us as the travel time would be reduced, but aren't we in it to fly? I personally would prefer a RTW or non-NA trip.

I'd also echo a previous poster that increased sleeping time would be great!

I would say that anything <$2k total for economy (including all the events, etc.) or <$5k for premium class is acceptable. I don't make a ton of money...that's just how "special" (for lack of a better word) the experience was at the first MegaDO.

If you need help planning...I'd be more than happy to assist!

All the best for 2010,
Chris
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by Steph3n
14 days it too long away from work at one time for me, so no go if that is the case.

How about doing something like 7-9 days, starting in SEA and going to some Boeing tours, then down to Florida and then Brazil for some Embraer? Embraer has a maintenance facility for VIP jets at FLL, and Airbus has a huge training center just off the grounds of MIA.

I know you seem to be shying away from the US, but there are a lot of options for events here as well!
Also from FLL/MIA it is a nice jump down to Brazil but also a decent midway point from SEA.
Just wanted to say that I would love the idea of a SEA/FLL/MIA/Brasil trip!^

I had an awesome experience on the *MegaDoI & would love to go for the II!^ I really appreciated the special TATL Business fare offered by LH! That really made a difference for my entire trip, aside from enabling me to earn extra EQM/RDMs on CO towards Plat!^

I, too, might have opted for the upgraded service in C on the charter -- had I known that the Y service was going to be nothing special (the earlier discussions indicated that the service in Y was to be 'upgraded' too).

My preference would be a North America-based DO. I'm not sure what my availability will be, nor for how long (although 14 days is too long for me, too) -- will depend on the dates being considered! I'm somewhat flexible on price -- but want to know that I am really getting my $'s worth -- like the rest of my fellow FTers! It's always great to have choices!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I definitely vote for RTW vs just a NoAmDo, but realize the cost & time required would be more. Hopefully workable for most folk if advance notice is given. I'm also w/ the FTer that said a 'special' fare to the start/end point to get to RTW Do would be very handy.

I'm totally confused by the FTer who said SAS was nothing special & a day should have been cut out (and disagree vehemently w/ that btw). Is s/he kidding? The entire trip rocked & who can forget our singing flight attendant or Tommy going down the slide at SAS! And what day cut out? Each were fab! So guess that's a 'to each their own'.

I also understand those that say 'bookending' the trip w/ weekends (especially on a RTW) would help for vacation/work time & I agree, but I'll work w/ whatever as long as enough notice is given.

I look forward to Star 2. Cheers.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
The show, CNN Business Traveller is available legally on line. If you click the play button on the default video, it will show a preview of the January show that includes quick scenes of the Mega Do before the December show starts.
Thanks for the tip. Will check it would later this week when I get home.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by aanswer
I'm new at this, but a RTW trip sounds great! And, 10 days is perfect for that.
If a RTW in a 10-day span (with w/ends as 'bookends') is really possible -- I would certainly consider that!^ :-: I appreciate that the intent of this thread is to gauge interest for planning purposes!^

I believe that most of the potentially interested folks have work & family considerations -- so a 14-day trip or longer is pretty difficult to get away for -- unless that is one's only 'major' vacation for the year!:-:

I appreciate that there are some folks whose time is plentiful (ie. are retired or have lots of 'flexibility' -- cool for them -- but I'm pretty sure that a good 80% of us have jobs & families to worry about! Obviously the earlier the notice, the better -- for planning purposes, both time & financial. I know several people who expressed interest in *MegaDO I early on, & dropped out due to all the conflicting & changing info. in the planning stages.

Tommy/Oliver -- I am certainly happy to help --- in any way! :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.