Wiki Posts
Search

The Second Annual Star Alliance Mega DO -- The official planning thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Steph3n
What does anyone really see in a RTW FT MegaDo? I am more than capable to spend the money on such a trip, and I could work to arrange work such that I COULD do it without checking in, but I simply won't expend the effort for a RTW trip.

I'll save my RTW for a honeymoon or bachelor tour, not a FT event. I like you guys, but there is a line, and a RTW crosses that line.
And I say this w/ all due respect: for you. For others, the line is not crossed. This is def a 'to each their own'. No harm, no foul on either side. But just cuz it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

We don't know yet everything that's included in the RTW since it's still in its planning stages, but quite frankly if it's anywhere as great as the first StarMegaDo, then no you can't do it on your own unless you happen to have all the connections & can pull off the logistics & the other behind the scenes stuff, so I wouldn't totally discount it until you know the details.

I could be wrong, but I didn't see your name on the first StarMegaDo event, so if you didn't attend you don't really have a sense of all that it entailed & how fab it was. Some links above; worth checking out, whether we end up on a shorter trip like Brazil or on a RTW. If you were on SMDI, then apologies. BTW - I'm a bit confused. 2 times in this thread you said you can't take the time from work & also can't be offline remote, then you say you can. So in case of honeymoon or bachelor party it's ok, but other than that not. Again, to each their own. No harm, no foul.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 11, 2010 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:36 pm

If you happen to have Bell or Telus Satellite TV, CNN International has recently been added to the lineup and is available as a free preview to all subscribers until the end of March (channel 511).
Airtimes are Tuesday night/Wednesday morning at 1:30am, Wednesday morning at 9:30am and again Friday night/Saturday morning at 1:30am (Pacific time).
Thanks for the heads up - I just set up my PVR to record.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And I say this w/ all due respect: for you. For others, the line is not crossed. This is def a 'to each their own'. No harm, no foul on either side. But just cuz it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

We don't know yet everything that's included in the RTW since it's still in its planning stages, but quite frankly if it's anywhere as great as the first StarMegaDo, then no you can't do it on your own unless you happen to have all the connections & can pull off the logistics & the other behind the scenes stuff.

I could be wrong, but I didn't see your name on the first StarMegaDo event, so if you didn't attend you don't really have a sense of all that it entailed & how fab it was. Some links above. If you were on it, then apologies.

Cheers.
no I did not attend, but not because I did not want too, just work at the time would not allow. I heard about it all late, I was very interested.

I know it is "for me", and it will be such for many others either, 10 days off it a long time for most people in the world. Esp when you have to include travel to the starting point and all it is more like 11-12.

This is a planning thread, so I am ensuring that my 'for me' is well heard I am not insisting on my idea by any means, I just don't think there will be nearly as many takers for a RTW, esp once costs come out.

Afterall a mega do can't be mega without quite a few attending! If it is just going to be a gulfstream flying a RTW, that would be cool, but it ain't mega!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:47 pm

Rumor has it, it's much bigger than a Gulfstream And Tommy did say it's basically a week off from work since the extra is on the weekends.

BTW - do check out the links above. Totally fab, & I expect SMDII to be the same, whether it's Brazil or RTW. Note to self - go find the working one of the fly-around after posting this.

But as long as we're staking our our turf, the US gazilion city stops w/ only a couple in hubs would be boring for me & that would fall into 'just another FT Do', not that much Mega about it, other than how many times we pass through TSA

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Rumor has it, it's much bigger than a Gulfstream And Tommy did say it's basically a week off from work since the extra is on the weekends.

BTW - do check out the links above. Totally fab, & I expect SMDII to be the same, whether it's Brazil or RTW. Note to self - go find the working one of the fly-around after posting this.

But as long as we're staking our our turf, the US gazilion city stops w/ only a couple in hubs would be boring for me & that would fall into 'just another FT Do', not that much Mega about it, other than how many times we pass through TSA

Cheers.

I don't want to tour a bunch of US hubs either, Boeing and Airbus(the MIA center is top of the line training facility), then off to Embraer sounds really cool.

I've done IAH tours, I can get other tours if I wanted as well, I agree just stopping at all *A US hubs would be a bore, as would just random places(airports) in the US.
BTW I have seen the videos and some pics of the events not even linked here or in the other, it was very nice.

Here is a google map of the airbus MIA facility, it is very large:
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...04136&t=h&z=18
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
One of the clips from the show has now been added to the web site:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...iref=allsearch
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:23 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Folks, let's try to get back on track. Don't see any progression here.

There are very different interests among the members of our great community. Many don't care about aviation at all and can't tell the difference between a 737 and an A320. Many members think it's great to interact with various airline executives and to know about product.

The challenge is to find a good mix so everyone has a great time.

The problem with a North American DO is the opportunity to have the cockpit door open and in flight cockpit visits, to do a low pass (or two) and of course dealing with the TSA.

Of course there'll be a challenge filling a widebody to go RTW, but I do believe it's possible (especially when we add up to 6 digits earning potential both EQMS and Redeemable miles). We started with a CRJ for a European DO and sold out a 757-300 where most spent way over 3K USD.

With a north American DO will sell out in 2 seconds and we will have to turn lots of people away, which is also not ideal.

Let's keep tossing out more ideas. In a day or two we will post a survey on www.starmegado.com to get a better picture on how many prefers to do what.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Mackieman
Start in SEA and do Boeing, then do SEA - DEN - ORD - CLE - PHL - EWR - IAD - CLT - IAH - PHX - LAS - LAX - SFO. .....
That's a mileage run

I would like to go RTW with the Condor captain and purser from *MegaDO 1 and I wanna do it in the "Wir lieben Fliegen" plane with the blue, yellow and pink hearts. I wanna fly under the St. Louis arch, between the Petrona towers and have my picture taken beside that plane at the Taj Mahal before going back to Oslo on our way to LHR T5. And I guess I wanna do it in less than 10 days so people who are silly enough to work for people who don't allow vacations can share the experience.

If you don't ask, you don't get. Whatever it is, let's get started.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I think that a M-F DO with the weekends to get to/from is a good timeframe which could probably work for alot of people - including myself. I'm going to earmark 6 vacation days for DO II. End of October/1st week of November is ideal.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:42 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lili

Thank you.. ^^
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:45 pm

I missed the do last year due to scheduling conflicts and have been grumpy about it since lol

Love the RTW and South America ideas.... the US option would be a distant third provided TSA have their heads out of their asses by then (not holding my breath).
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by lili
I would like to go RTW with the Condor captain and purser from *MegaDO 1 and I wanna do it in the "Wir lieben Fliegen" plane with the blue, yellow and pink hearts. I wanna fly under the St. Louis arch, between the Petrona towers and have my picture taken beside that plane at the Taj Mahal before going back to Oslo on our way to LHR T5. And I guess I wanna do it in less than 10 days so people who are silly enough to work for people who don't allow vacations can share the experience.

Works for me! Also ditto the Captain, Purser, etc, from SMD-1. ^

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
That would actually be fun having Dirk the Purser along for the ride. Anyway, you wanted ideas so here goes!

It's a *A Do so let's keep hitting the headquarters for *A. Keep checking them off the list until we're done. Thus far we've got UA, CO, LH and SAS done. Let's keep going. Next up? How about AC since we're on North American turf? Farther afield, TK seems hungry for business these days so how about a trip to IST? (It's a fascinating city for anyone who hasn't been there.)

A short hop away (by our standards of course ) is CAI so we could say hello to the fine folks at MS. And since we'd be in the neighbourhood, how about welcoming *A's newest partner A3? Then of course we may as well drop by VIE and see the OS gang.

And I could go on and on here ...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I'm definitely keen after being disappointed by a late pull-out of SMDI (stupid job...life would be so much easier without it...oh, wait... )

LOVE the Embraer idea as those have become some of my favorite planes. Love the * Eastern Europe/Middle East DO idea by RCyyz too...and a great idea to start in Canada since it's easy for North Americans, avoids the US insanity, and I happen to be basing myself there in 2010

A week is OK. More would be tough.
$1000 (for economy) is OK, $1500 probably do-able, a lot more would be tough.
That's for flights in the "core do"--obviously positioning where we're on our own can be adjusted to fit individual circumstances.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I'm definitely keen after being disappointed by a late pull-out of SMDI (stupid job...life would be so much easier without it...oh, wait... )

LOVE the Embraer idea as those have become some of my favorite planes. Love the * Eastern Europe/Middle East DO idea by RCyyz too...and a great idea to start in Canada since it's easy for North Americans, avoids the US insanity, and I happen to be basing myself there in 2010

A week is OK. More would be tough.
$1000 (for economy) is OK, $1500 probably do-able, a lot more would be tough.
That's for flights in the "core do"--obviously positioning where we're on our own can be adjusted to fit individual circumstances.
I agree here, the AC/TK/MS would likely be doable for me as well, AC idea is nice as an alternative to SEA as well, maybe start in SEA area for Boeing and charter bus across to the canuck side? I am not sure what is harder, plane or car for going into Canada...or I guess if people just wanted to start somewhere in Canada, then to go Brazil or turkey, that could work too, but I'd personally love a factory/R&D center tour somewhere!

I haven't seen anyone propose starting a MegaDO in PHX, wonder why that would be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.