Reload this Page >

The Second Annual Star Alliance Mega DO -- The official planning thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Second Annual Star Alliance Mega DO -- The official planning thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Personally I'd do a DO if I can get into that country without the need of a visa.. On that basis alone, if the DO is in the US would be just fine by me or in SE Asia.. Further than that, other than transit, I'd have to get a visa to basically every country there is..

Its tough being Indonesian...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flysurfer
LOL! The TLS tour we got was about 5 times better than the actual "general public tour" offered by Airbus. I know, because I had to endure it a few years ago.
Maybe what you got a few years ago was different but what we got in TLS is the same tour offered to the public. I asked our guide about it and she confirmed. What we got different is the reception at Airbus office. I enjoyed going there and it was fun but I just mentionned my interest to see something customized for the group when possible.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by 767300ER
Maybe what you got a few years ago was different but what we got in TLS is the same tour offered to the public.
So the public now gets to tour the mockup center?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 767300ER
Maybe what you got a few years ago was different but what we got in TLS is the same tour offered to the public.
The mockup tour was not something that is open to the public. Having the executives there before, during and after the walk-through is not something that generally happens with the public.

And even if it was the same walk-through, we got to do it with 200+ other aerophiles and we certainly arrived in style.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:51 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

If you're interested in joining this DO, you might want to check out this thread..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ruary-1st.html

Survey will be announced this weekend
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:33 pm

- How was the value for the money paid in 2009

J transatlantic fares excellent value.
J for the charter - medium value.
I liked the empty middle seat. Helps make up for the lack of legroom.
But I'm not much of a drinker. I don't care for fancy cheeses and foods.
Give me a big serving of meat an potatoes and I'd be happy.

Knowing what I know now, I would do the charter in Y. Unless it was on an a/c with real business class

- How many days can you be away to participate in a DO

4-5 would be ideal.

- How much money will you be willing to spend

About the same as this year. But would be dependant on what's offered.

For 2010.... A great deal in a premium cabin is almost essential for my participation.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

As you know, we're starting to plan for StarMegaDO 2010. I've put together an on-line survey for prospective participants. Please take a few minutes to fill it out. You can find it here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/StarMegaDO

All responses are anonymous.

Xyzzy
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:14 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Originally Posted by xyzzy
As you know, we're starting to plan for StarMegaDO 2010. I've put together an on-line survey for prospective participants. Please take a few minutes to fill it out. You can find it here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/StarMegaDO

All responses are anonymous.

Xyzzy

Xyzzy,

just did it, have the feeling it is going to be even better.

dutch_122^
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by dutch_122
just did it, have the feeling it is going to be even better.

60 surveys filled out in 60 minutes -- I'm impressed! ^

Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
So now that you have ample feedback, what are the details of Do II?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
So now that you have ample feedback, what are the details of Do II?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There was no option to answer the sleep question as "sleep is over-rated".

So based on the survey I'm expecting the tours will be whatever Tommy wants, the fare to be $500 (but which type of dollars is cunningly omitted) for first class, more miles, another flyby, lotsa fun.

Yup, this survey has set my expectations brilliantly.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:47 am

Well, I answered the survey.

I really enjoyed SMD 1 and look forward to the next one eagerly! Some of the experiences from SMD 1 you definitely cannot buy alone, and that might have justified the price tag no matter if you flew the charter in C or Y. For myself, I'm glad I only chose Y on the charter, only because I didn't really see the improved service of C through anyone else who chose to fly in C. Airbus tour was a tad bland, or rather this should be read if I had to choose the most boring tour it would be Airbus (not that it was boring per se, although I do remember that one group had their guide go MIA - no, he didn't escape to Florida, the other MIA ).

It would be really nice if SMD 2 was based around the Asia-Pacific, viz. closer to home (even if this was, say, a Circle Pacific) Getting NZ, a.k.a. 2010 Airline of the Year, would be great (I don't think seeing anyone in body paint will form part of the entertainment! ). I think trying to get SQ on side is also a no-brainer.

As a student, I think I'll be sufficiently struggling with positioning flights for the next Do (no more super cache of points left to burn off), but I'll get there somehow by hook or by crook. In saying all of that, I hope that the costs of the Do do not increase significantly from last year (barring inflation I guess ).

RTW idea sounds very interesting, even though it would be quite expensive. It'd be a tough one to set up and certainly although the apparent interest is high the reality is that it will be more difficult to fill the plane if the Do was a RTW due to the required increased cash and time commitments.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by anat0l
It would be really nice if SMD 2 was based around the Asia-Pacific, viz. closer to home (even if this was, say, a Circle Pacific) Getting NZ, a.k.a. 2010 Airline of the Year, would be great (I don't think seeing anyone in body paint will form part of the entertainment! ). I think trying to get SQ on side is also a no-brainer.
I didn't think of NZ so far, but I must say I like the idea! Great airline, without any doubt.

And seeing Tommy in a NZ body paint would be defintely priceless.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MLang2
And seeing Tommy in a NZ body paint would be defintely priceless.
Just spit my cup of tea all over my computer screen reading this!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.