Wiki Posts
Search

The Second Annual Star Alliance Mega DO -- The official planning thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by BEG2IAH
Guys, it's nice to see that the second * Mega DO is in works. Whatever the final outcome is, maybe we should think about constraining how many countries we would visit, because some of us would need to get a visa for each of those. This is just a thought...

BEG2IAH
Most South Pacific countries have very easy entry requirements (as easy or easier than France, Germany and Norway).

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
* Airplane graveyard - now *that's* a money-can't-buy opportunity. Did KiwiFlyer suggest that? I salute you, sir.
Not my idea, although I like it too.

Another point in favour of including Australia or NZ is the easier security environment / less red tape. Eg for kiwi mainland do two a small group got access through all of the pratt & whitney engine test facility with minimal fuss. Not saying we could do that with a huge group but just an example of how things are done differently here which opens up opportunities for us.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Don't Boeing have a maintenance facility at BNE?

There are A380s that could be seen (and gone over) at SIN and SYD.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Most South Pacific countries have very easy entry requirements (as easy or easier than France, Germany and Norway).
Thanks. Good to know but it still takes time to process it all.

BEG2IAH
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Originally Posted by BEG2IAH
Thanks. Good to know but it still takes time to process it all.

BEG2IAH
This is a good place to check, by the way:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ang=en&loc=us#
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Value for money paid in 2009?
Well, I'd say the fares were terrific on the trans-atlantic flights. Economy fare was about what I would normally pay, and the business fare was just terrific, especially for those returning to the west coast. I'm not sure what portion of the cost of the charter went towards catering, but honestly I could have gone without the food/liquor. We were fed so well on the ground that I didn't really feel hungry on the plane.

How many days can I be away?
As many as 9 days if you count weekends on both ends, since I would likely have class Monday-Friday.

How much money would I be willing to spend?
I think the SMD1 price was pretty good for the negotiated LH prices but I felt the charter was a bit steep. I would comfortably spend $1500 on Y tickets for the next SMD. I've heard people mention Air NZ and possibly Asiana or ANA. These would surely go beyond the prices we paid for SMD1. However, I think it is important to recognize that not all Flyertalkers have bundles of disposable income. Many are students or parents of expensive kids. The higher the price, I believe the more difficult it would be for some Flyertalkers to attend.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: *Alliance
2010 hurray

value for the money was good. length of trip was good. -
For future
- similar pricing
- could go up to 10 days
- some leisure time or "on your own" (the 2009 pace was hectic:->)

I would like to see us circumnavigate the globe on Star Alliance airlines!

p.s. - posting this from UA10 SFO-JFK using wireless. Cool! and at same time listening to my favorite SFO radio station KDFC.

Last edited by Bonnerbl; Jan 13, 2010 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Thank you, Tommy and Oliver, for organizing another *A run. ^ Having learned many important lessons from the really amazing first *A Megado, I'm very confident that your endeavor to turn this experience into a global event will be rewarded.

It may not be for everybody, however, those who opt in, will most certainly have a great time. Maybe the time of their lives.

So yes, a well-planned RTW sounds just terrific. It might be reasonable to start (and end) the trip in the U.S., as most potential participants originate in that region and because Americans tend to have less vacation time than employees from other western countries. Let's save those folks a couple of days by not forcing them to take time-consuming positioning flights.

Personally, I don't care. I have all the time in the world. So let's go for it!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
* Airplane graveyard - now *that's* a money-can't-buy opportunity. Did KiwiFlyer suggest that? I salute you, sir.
Nope I did.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
Hi!

Thanks alredy now for all the work you are willing to do for SMDII!

- How was the value for the money paid in 2009
Good, considering I had Y-Seats, both on TATLs and on the charter.

- How many days can you be away to participate in a DO
5-7 like last year.
But all depends -and this is very very important not only for me- on the early planing!!!

- How much money will you be willing to spend
Same like last year. But this is up to the program. If there will be specails like hell, I am willing to pay more money for all the fun we will have - and we had a lot of it during SMDI!

Foxyankee
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:45 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Hey... the party didn't stop when we hit MUC either... mmmm gin & bitter lemon...

Originally Posted by SS255
Isn't the REAL question "How many days in a row are Tommy and Oliver willing to go without sleep?"
Key questions we need answered:

- How was the value for the money paid in 2009 - I got my moneys worth!
- How many days can you be away to participate in a DO - 2-3 weekdays
- How much money will you be willing to spend - $700-$850 (can't go hog wild as my g/f will be joining this DO)
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
Another topic for me - discussions about destinations in the Near-East:

I won´t step onto a TK-plane ever in my life.
I am working in the airline industrie and know by daily businnes a lot about how TK-crew are flying, the ability to speak english and dealing with high complex systems of the modern planes and their understatement of safety and safety-management, and my every-day-experience tells me and many other colleages: DO NOT DO IT - DO NOT FLY TK!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Wow, you guys are impressive. I'm certainly looking forward to installment #2!

My answers:

I think there's two ways to answer this question.

From a purely emotional standpoint, I paid for an experience, and I was blown away. It was unique. I still can't get over how much we've done and how much fun it was. Even my friends who aren't geeks have been stunned by my stories and pictures. I spent a lot (doing the whole deal from ORD, going C all the way, going for the expensive room at Seeheim etc.) and it was 100% worth it.

From a purely financial standpoint, the value wasn't always consistent. The TATL C fare was a huge deal. I wouldn't bother upgrading if I could buy such Z fares when I fly on my own. The upgrade to F on the way back (despite it not being allowed in theory, but many of us did it anyway) sealed the deal. The charter in C, again from a purely financial standpoint, was a bit less of a value -- it was significantly more expensive than Y but at the end of the day, due to issues with logistics and time, you guys weren't completely able to deliver the amazing service you had envisioned. It was cool to be at the front of the aircraft, though. The hotel in FRA wasn't very cheap, especially considering we hardly had any time to sleep One thing to keep in mind though is that we got fed all along for free -- our individual meal budget was a solid $0. It's easy to look at the expenses and overlook that fact. Finally, my UA fare going to ORD was a bit steep simply because I held on purchasing until the last minute, because UA flip-flopped a little bit and at first LH wasn't willing to ticket disconnected segments. If next time around we can know some fare details a bit ahead of time these costs can go down.

At the end of the day, the value obviously was great, especially imho for those folks that flew Y. There's just a couple details that could have been optimized to make it an ever more awesome value.

How many days can you be away to participate in a DO

This is a tough one. Anything more than 1 week probably won't be an option. 3 work days + 1 weekend would be great. Obviously this may not be enough for a RTW. At the end of the day, the earlier I get firm dates, the more likely it is I can make anything work. Over 1.5 weeks is a no-go, though.

How much money will you be willing to spend

Anything. Sounds stupid to say, but I'd eat pasta for a year to make it happen. Heck, I'd buy a F RTW fare without thinking about it twice.

Random suggestions:
- Boeing (already suggested.)
- Visit the main UAL command/control center in Arlington.
- An A380 leg on SG (if we do the RTW.)
- Accomodate for 3.5 hr of sleep per night instead of 2.5
- Try as much as possible to announce firm dates as early as possible even if the program details aren't completely known.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by foxyankee
DO NOT DO IT - DO NOT FLY TK!
Too late, I'm already booked on the Valentine's Day special MUC-IST-SIN-CGK and return.

In the unlikely case I survive this trip, I'd still like to be a part of *A Do 2.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

The DO was excellent and of very good value. My only thought was the cost of the charter due to the length of the trip - and a required change of crew. Both the Oslo and Airbus tours were great - but if I had a choice in the future - I would have almost preferred two charters on two separate days. One day to Oslo and maybe another Scandanavian city - short enough for one crew. Day 2 a separate charter to Airbus with both tours for all with lunch in between. It is my understanding (talking with LH in Seeheim) that LH could have provided the charter if we did not require a change of crew - i.e. on day 2 just fly round trip from FRA to Airbus. The Airbus tour was too short. Getting back late, minimized the late evening party.

10 days would work - week and 2 weekends.

$3K for air, if a major trip. Hotel extra.

Comments:

A Mega DO needs to have airline and/or airline manufacturer participation to really be a FlyerTalk DO. That is the common interest among the group. I think an Asian DO would work - but not necessarily around the world. Would need to have Singapore Air involved.

A Seattle DO would be nice - but that would only be a long weekend and it would be mostly Boeing based and SEA tour. This would be bus tours - and folks arrive by separate air. You only need organized air if international or charter.

Say SEA Boeing in 2010, Asia in 2011.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
Overall the value was fair. The charter was a good value, the hotels a little less so given we were there for such a short time. I can't speak to the transatlantic trip as I arranged my own way there.

I agree with the comments of a couple of the other posters that two days of charter would be better overall. We could cover the same distance (at hopefully about the same price) yet having more time to enjoy each location.

I would be fine with a 3 day trip plus a weekend or a RTW trip of 10 days.

$1k for a 3 day trip, $3 for a RTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.