Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Platinum AMEX has been upgraded [includes 2011 conversion discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know about the rental car coverage of this card?

I know it is part of the benefit, but haven't received the paperworks yet and most likely wont receive them before our trip to Puerto Rico next week.

Can anyone kind enough to post some info on this? We want to use this card instead of other Citi cards.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Prem, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold,
Originally Posted by budblab
Yes, we have 2 cards (they each have the same acct #), and were able to get 2 Priority Pass memberships, and 2 Identity Monitor memberships^
Did you guys have to enter your card number + details? I used the link provided here for Priority Pass / Citi / Amex but then it still asks for my credit card details for the membership. Is that correct?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by This Mortal Coil
Did you guys have to enter your card number + details? I used the link provided here for Priority Pass / Citi / Amex but then it still asks for my credit card details for the membership. Is that correct?
Yes, we had to enter our cc# (both identical) and info (mostly identical, except name, sex, and ss#'s) and got 2 memberships for each program.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: CITI Chairman AMEX, Citi PL AMEX ,Citi Pro MC, BoA Amex, One Pass, Marriott Gold
I got this card about a month ago so far it has been good. I am disapointed that the Priorty Pass is only good for first 3 visit free and $24 after that. I will use Citi PL AMEX more than the Citi Professional MC because of the TY points. I charge on average $3000-3500 amonth on my Citi Pro MC, so hopefully the TY points on my Citi Pl AMEX will ad up quickly.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by Lucky Loser
I got this card about a month ago so far it has been good. I am disapointed that the Priorty Pass is only good for first 3 visit free and $24 after that. I will use Citi PL AMEX more than the Citi Professional MC because of the TY points. I charge on average $3000-3500 amonth on my Citi Pro MC, so hopefully the TY points on my Citi Pl AMEX will ad up quickly.
Why are you disappointed? All the credit card information states that you only get 3 visits. Its not a surprise.

What would you expect for $99/yr? If you want unlimited access...there is always AMEX Platinum (from AMEX), Citi Chairman, BofA Accolades, Priority Pass, or a direct airline club membership. Most of which are $300 to $500/yr.

You get Identity Monitor for free (which normally costs $10/mo or $120/yr) and 3 free airline club visits per year (which is valued at $75-150/yr depending on the airline). Therefore the netbenefit per year is:

$120 for Identify Monitor
$ 75 to $150 for Club Access
$195 to $270 Total

$ 99 Less Annual Fee

$ 96 to $ 171 Net Benefit

During your first year, there is no annual fee... Plus you get 3-5 points per $ for 2 years. This card is the deal of the century. Pair it with AMEX Platinum (by AMEX) and you get pretty good airline club access.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: CITI Chairman AMEX, Citi PL AMEX ,Citi Pro MC, BoA Amex, One Pass, Marriott Gold
I agree.. I was hoping for aleast a few more visits free, like 5. Just because I wanted to be cheap and not pay for it :lol:.

I got a invite the other day for the chairman card from the lady I talked to on the phone regarding some charges about my citi pl amex. Chairman compaired to the Citi Pl Amex the TY points is a much better deal on the Pl Amex. I am not a big roller and would not need the perks of concierge service (I use Axiom from Amex) or private jet fractional ownership nor would I want to pay $500 for a card to impress a person I will never see again if they would even know what Chairman card was.

Last edited by Lucky Loser; Nov 8, 2007 at 1:17 pm
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by Lucky Loser
nor would I want to pay $500 for a card to impress a person I will never see again if they would even know what Chairman card was.
That's not the point with this card at all... Unlimited PriorityPass with 2 free guests + great service/concierge is.

The card never gets out of my wallet in fact since I can get more reward value using other cards (like the Citi Platinum Amex discussed here).
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
That's not the point with this card at all... Unlimited PriorityPass with 2 free guests + great service/concierge is.

The card never gets out of my wallet in fact since I can get more reward value using other cards (like the Citi Platinum Amex discussed here).
and you are forgetting:

1) flight points
2) select spend points that get matched by flight points (on MC version only)
3) no point cap

Once I hit the cap on the PLAT AMEX, I will use Chairman again. This card is good for 150k per year till the bonus points run out.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa

My Citi Chairman card is at home. I keep the account number in my cell phone so that I can call the concierge. All of my spending goes on Citi Platinum AMEX or Citi Professional MC for now.

I can get into AA/DL/CO/NW with AMEX Platinum AMEX, I can just use Citi Platinum AMEX's Priority Pass for an occasional circumstance when I do not fly one of those airlines. Those occasions would never add up to Chairman's $500 fee. I will probably cancel my Citi Chairman AMEX next year.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 5:06 pm

With the Amex Platinum, is it 3 Free Priority Pass uses total or 3 free uses PER YEAR?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by pointman
With the Amex Platinum, is it 3 Free Priority Pass uses total or 3 free uses PER YEAR?
3 Priority Pass uses within Priority Pass membership year which will depend on your enrollment date.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:53 pm

Has anyone here used the free companion ticket feature through entre.com? If so, how's your experience?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Prem, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold,
Originally Posted by pointman
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
3 Priority Pass uses within Priority Pass membership year which will depend on your enrollment date.

Which "Amex Platinum"? - the Citi or the "proper" Amex Amex Plat? With the latter, ther is NO priority pass in the US - but you get unlimited lounge access with several airlines (ie AA, CO) + upto 2 other guests.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:09 am

I believe the question related to the Citi Platinum Amex and it does include three free stays per year as was stated above.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:36 am

Maybe I should have phrased the question better. I wanted to clarify if the 3 free uses were more of a one-time signup bonus or if the membership actually included three free visits each membership year?

It sounds to me, from the responses, like you get the first three visits free each year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.