Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by allthem
For what it's worth, it looks like the attorney who filed the dismissal in this case did in fact end up suing AA in small claims court. The docket is online, Miami-Date county case # 2020-010257-SP-26 . The case seems to have gone to binding arbitration and then been dismissed on July 7th, but I'm not sure if the dismissal simply means that it's going to be handled in arbitration rather than the courts, or if Mr. Corona lost.
Yes as a matter of procedure if parties agree to arbitration for courts purposes it is considered an out of court settlement and case dismissed.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:02 pm

so the complainant got some money or accounts reinstated as a settlement ?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
For what it's worth, it looks like the attorney who filed the dismissal in this case did in fact end up suing AA in small claims court. The docket is online, Miami-Date county case # 2020-010257-SP-26 . The case seems to have gone to binding arbitration and then been dismissed on July 7th, but I'm not sure if the dismissal simply means that it's going to be handled in arbitration rather than the courts, or if Mr. Corona lost.

EDIT: figured out how to download the dismissal request PDF. Exact text is below. Sounds like AA probably settled it.
I don't think it is the same person. Just same last name. Address and first name is different. Miami docket indicate Roque Corona is actual plaintiff not attorney (no bar# provided).. Address in Miami docket is a private house. Maria withdrawal compliant via Corona Law Firm (Our Attorneys | Corona Law firm, P.A.). Don't see a Roque Corona there.

No indication on whether it is settled or if this was also fraud on behalf of member and AA was going to come in guns blazing and plaintiff folded just like Maria.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 6:40 am

EDIT: figured out how to download the dismissal request PDF. Exact text is below. Sounds like AA probably settled it.
In a lot of jurisdictions, small claims cases are sent to arbitration to speed the cases up and unburden the court system.
Is Miami-Dade one of them?

(I read online the case can be referred to a mediator at a pre-trial hearing, but did not see a mention of binding arbitration.)
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't think it is the same person. Just same last name. Address and first name is different. Miami docket indicate Roque Corona is actual plaintiff not attorney (no bar# provided).. Address in Miami docket is a private house. Maria withdrawal compliant via Corona Law Firm (Our Attorneys | Corona Law firm, P.A.). Don't see a Roque Corona there.

No indication on whether it is settled or if this was also fraud on behalf of member and AA was going to come in guns blazing and plaintiff folded just like Maria.
Aren’t you assuming it’s not the same family? B&C are related.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:41 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Aren’t you assuming it’s not the same family? B&C are related.
Are you suggesting a bigger conspiracy which involves the attorney being part of the actual scheme?

According to AA DoT response, AA tend to think Maria’s son in law and daughter were the “fraudsters.” Their names were redacted. However I believe the son in law is ROQUE CORONA JR and daughter is JENNIFER BORGES according to land records.

The only “evidence” I see is law firm sharing same name Corona but according to same record search there are at least two dozen people with last name Corona owning real estate just in Miami Dade. I suppose they are from same family if you consider cousins 2/3/4/5/6 times removed same family. They could be closely related but I don’t see any evidence of it other than same last name.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 13, 2020 at 8:05 am
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:48 am
Suspended

Are you suggesting a bigger conspiracy which involves the attorneys being part of the actual scheme?

According to AA DoT response, AA tend to think Maria’s son in law and daughter were the “fraudsters.” Their names were redacted. Are you suggested the son in law’s last name is Corona and that Corona Law practice is not just acting as the attorney but is actually involved? Where is the evidence?

The only “evidence” I see is same last name but I’m sure there are many other people with same last name in South Florida.
I am not suggesting what you are suggesting in the first sentence above. I am just stating that Borges and Corona have a family relationship, and it’s by marriage. Borges’ being the mother and daughter.

The FDIC apparently didn’t like the founder of the named law firm.

AA seems to have targeted an interesting flock.
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 13, 2020 at 8:03 am
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:59 am
Original Member

I am not suggesting what you are suggesting in the first sentence above. I am just stating that Borges and Corona have a family relationship, and it’s by marriage. Borges’ being the mother and daughter.
I don’t dispute contents of this but allthem’s post is suggesting Maria’s son-in-law is the attorney and/or part of Corona Law practice. That is what I’m not seeing any evidence of. ROQUE CORONA is not showing up in Florida Bar association lookup.

Maybe they are same family as attorney/maybe they just happen to have same last name

What we do know at the moment is DoT complaint was withdrawn by a law firm and Miami Dade filing was filed by an individual (Roque) who is not an attorney.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 13, 2020 at 8:28 am
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:22 am
Suspended

I don’t dispute contents of this but allthem’s post is suggesting Maria’s son-in-law is the attorney and/or part of Corona Law practice. That is what I’m not seeing any evidence of. ROQUE CORONA is not showing up in Florida Bar association lookup.

Maybe they are same family as attorney/maybe they just happen to have same last name

What we do know at the moment is DoT complaint was withdrawn by a law firm and Miami Dade filing was filed by an individual (Roque) who is not an attorney.
He asked for help from a bunch of people who are lawyers and happen to be his relatives from before his marriage to the Borges daughter.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:27 am
Original Member

He asked for help from a bunch of people who are lawyers and happen to be his relatives from before his marriage to the Borges daughter.
Could be or could be not; just need some evidence to back that there is a relationship beyond a professional one and if the only evidence is they share a same last name, that is not going to hold up in any court.

That is like saying Amy Cooper and Christian Cooper are related.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52759502
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:26 am
Suspended

This isn’t court; and even were the relationship to be documented in a court, it wouldn’t make a difference since there is no ban on a relative acting as a lawyer for, or otherwise providing legal advice on behalf of, a relative as long as there is no conflict of interest applicable in the matter.

This is not like your saying Amy Cooper and Christian Cooper are related.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:14 am
Original Member

This isn’t court; and even were the relationship to be documented in a court, it wouldn’t make a difference since there is no ban on a relative acting as a lawyer for, or otherwise providing legal advice on behalf of, a relative as long as there is no conflict of interest applicable in the matter.

This is not like your saying Amy Cooper and Christian Cooper are related.
I’m confused as to the point you are trying to make. My response was to the post below pointing out that plaintiff in Miami Dade (Roque Coronoa Jr) is not an attorney for Corona Law practice that filed withdrawal to DoT complaint. Not only that, Roque is not even an attorney at all. If you think Roque is an attorney or has a personal association with Coronoa Law practice, I ask, again, for evidence.

Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:24 am
Suspended

I didn’t claim Roque Corona is an attorney. I am indicating that: he is related to the Corona lawyers at the firm; and the family relationship with those Corona lawyers pre-dates his marriage to Borges’s daughter a handful of years ago and the relationship comes from before Borges’s daughter and him made her a grandmother of a now Corona toddler.

Getting family lawyers to help do some legal work isn’t ordinarily expensive.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 13, 2020 at 10:29 am
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
More likely that the fraudster dismissed her SCC Complaint for the same reasons as her DOT Complaint. There was no need to sue AA if there was a settlement and it is not as though AA was not paying attention to this. If the deal was: "I'll dismiss my DOT complaint if you reinstate my FFP and pay me something" all that took was a letter counter-signed by the parties.

With lawyers on both sides of the matter, no need to go through the charade of an SCC action.
I'
rover4618 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
More likely that the fraudster dismissed her SCC Complaint for the same reasons as her DOT Complaint. There was no need to sue AA if there was a settlement and it is not as though AA was not paying attention to this. If the deal was: "I'll dismiss my DOT complaint if you reinstate my FFP and pay me something" all that took was a letter counter-signed by the parties.

With lawyers on both sides of the matter, no need to go through the charade of an SCC action.
I'
given AA's position on what the fraudsters did, why are they willing to give them anything and settle? any speculation here?
other reasons the complainant might dismiss the complaint? That the complainant feels in over her head or may have an example made of her by how much AA claims she owes AA?
My speculation if there is indeed a settlement where AA gave her anything is: "drop your case and for ONE account we'll give you back whatever miles that weren't credit card sign up bonus miles."
Otherwise I don't see why AA would give her squat for any of her accounts associated with her 45 cards..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.