Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
This is a continuation of the original discussion HERE.

Book online at thankyou.com or by phone at 1-877-288-2484 7/24.

Starting September 1, 2019 the complimentary 4th night benefit can be used up to two times per calendar year. Bookings made prior to September 1, 2019, will not count toward your two-stay cap for 2019. Starting September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread
for details.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by abcx
I called today to make two bookings. No instant bookings anymore but she promised the Booking team will book it in 24 hours and send me a confirmation. Let's see what happens...
Even though they're moving away from the concierge, you can book through the TY portal and get instant bookings.

I don't like the devaluing of this benefit, but it was a good run while it lasted I suppose. Over the years I have derived some $4k+ in value from it.
Like every new, shiny object in the miles/points game, we really can never have nice things without some overdoing it and ruining it for everyone.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
Even though they're moving away from the concierge, you can book through the TY portal and get instant bookings.

Like every new, shiny object in the miles/points game, we really can never have nice things without some overdoing it and ruining it for everyone.
Yeah, but those instant bookings don't get you miles or Altour benefits.

$4k over nearly 3 years doesn't strike me as ridiculous if you take into account the fact they probably get 15% from travel agent commissions and 3% interchange that offset most of the cost of the free fourth night. Oh, and it is a $450 card.
estnet and akr1970akr like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
$4k over nearly 3 years doesn't strike me as ridiculous if you take into account the fact they probably get 15% from travel agent commissions and 3% interchange that offset most of the cost of the free fourth night. Oh, and it is a $450 card.
In a vacuum, you're probably right. But their move to cap the benefit speaks volumes to the outsized benefits that were gained by enough people. There's no chance that Citi completely offset the cost of 4NF or they wouldn't have capped it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by roundtree
In a vacuum, you're probably right. But their move to cap the benefit speaks volumes to the outsized benefits that were gained by enough people. There's no chance that Citi completely offset the cost of 4NF or they wouldn't have capped it.
There was never a chance that it would.

That benefit was never self sustaining. It was Citi business decisions to offer it, they should not be surprised people are using it.

I would agree that it was badly designed from the onset, and not unexpectedly caused a financial bleeding to Citi - but it was not because it was abused, rather it was used as intended (just badly designed to begin with).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
That benefit was never self sustaining. It was Citi business decisions to offer it, they should not be surprised people are using it.
And conversely, given your statement, absolutely nobody here should be surprised that said benefit is going away and spending a lot of time crying over spilled milk.

Regards
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
There was never a chance that it would.
I think the mix of properties may have been different than projected. I don't mean more expensive, but rather a higher proportion of chain bookings. The chains have a greater ability to negotiate lower commission rates.
carsnoceans and akr1970akr like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
And conversely, given your statement, absolutely nobody here should be surprised that said benefit is going away and spending a lot of time crying over spilled milk.

Regards
I completely agree with that statement as well.

What I don't agree is the talk of "abuse". The benefit was used as designed, it just was poorly designed and was bound to be changed. Yes there were "edge cases" but I doubt that those are the one who broke the system. The card was promoted using this benefit; no one should be surprised it is heavily used. In other words, a card cannot be mass marketed and still offer open ended premium heavy benefits. It was bound to change from the get go.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:05 am

Frankly I am surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Yay! I had very troublesome stay (wrong name for booking, hotel dropped arrival day and turned it a deposit forfeit, travel delay, blah blah) finally get credited. We paid for it in October but didn't complete stay til January. Got the "credit is arriving" email 73 days after checkout ... and 157 days after paying for the prepaid/non-cancellable stay.

I didn't want any eyes on the transaction, so did 'do not call the bank' strategy, which was painful to wait through.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I just made a booking and here's how it went:
I sent a detailed e-mail with exactly what I wanted and when, and within 30 minutes I had a rate quote. I then called up to complete the booking - and that was it!

Quite hassle free in my opinion and the concierge had a wonderful attitude.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
I just made a booking and here's how it went:
I sent a detailed e-mail with exactly what I wanted and when, and within 30 minutes I had a rate quote. I then called up to complete the booking - and that was it!

Quite hassle free in my opinion and the concierge had a wonderful attitude.
I thought they don't book for you on the spot, but have to put in a queue? Was your stay within a few days?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I thought they don't book for you on the spot, but have to put in a queue? Was your stay within a few days?
They do book on the spot, but only after you send that initial e-mail. In their response (which came within 30 minutes), they request that you call in to complete the booking.

My stay was for late August, and I know it was booked on the spot as I was given a confirmation number and snagged the last room available for my dates (availability on hotel's site immediately changed from 'last room remaining' to 'none' as soon as the room was booked).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
They do book on the spot, but only after you send that initial e-mail. In their response (which came within 30 minutes), they request that you call in to complete the booking.

My stay was for late August, and I know it was booked on the spot as I was given a confirmation number and snagged the last room available for my dates (availability on hotel's site immediately changed from 'last room remaining' to 'none' as soon as the room was booked).
Hmm, can you explain your exact process?
I've emailed prior, and they said they'd have it done, and then it wasn't done, and they said they couldn't book it cause they had to put in their queue, but this was the weekend when that transition happened.
I guess I'll try again.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:01 pm

I had a reservation booked on the spot recently while two others couldn't be. It's very YMMV it seems.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Hmm, can you explain your exact process?
I've emailed prior, and they said they'd have it done, and then it wasn't done, and they said they couldn't book it cause they had to put in their queue, but this was the weekend when that transition happened.
I guess I'll try again.
There really isn't any process to explain... I sent a brief email listing the hotel, dates, guests, and desired room type and that was it.

A half an hour later, I received a reply confirming the rate and rebate amount, with a phone number to call if I wished to proceed with the booking.

I called, they reconfirmed the details, gave my card info and it was booked with confirmation number given on the spot. This was around 3PM Eastern time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.