Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
This is a continuation of the original discussion HERE.

Book online at thankyou.com or by phone at 1-877-288-2484 7/24.

Starting September 1, 2019 the complimentary 4th night benefit can be used up to two times per calendar year. Bookings made prior to September 1, 2019, will not count toward your two-stay cap for 2019. Starting September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread
for details.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by jcsimard
Cash booking charged and refunded to Citi Prestige for 4 nights.
Don't you get 4th night deducted automatically from the price, when booking via portal? I booked with points, and it was deducted automatically.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Absolutely NOT. I have ONLY booked through concierge (except once - with about 50 bookings) and was simply looking to see how bad it would be in Sept (partly b/c I have to decide whether to continue to pay for the new increased fee/decreased benefits) and I discovered disparities I thought should be pointed out (and as others have said were apparently well know but not so much to me b/c I generally booked concierge b/c elite benefits)
In addition (I and others) have to consider whether losing the travel benefits (delayed flights, trip cancellation, medical evacuation, etc) make this even a contender compared to cc that still offer these benefits with a lower annual fee (at least for now).
And that makes it a "scam"?

Let me get it straight. It is cheaper even after Sep to book through thankyou.com. Thus, it is a scam?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
And that makes it a "scam"?

We're turning in a circle. estnet has already clarified:

Originally Posted by estnet
Maybe scam is too strong, but when I compare the rates ty is offering (non chain no benefits) and the difference with their credit turns out to be 30% of the 4th night cost (without taxes) rather than 100% (for some hotels not true for every one) it seems dishonest to me.

Just a caution - if you care about the cost it pays to check and just not assume that ty is really giving you the "free" night cost you might expect.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Don't you get 4th night deducted automatically from the price, when booking via portal? I booked with points, and it was deducted automatically.
But of course, as they said in the Grey Poupon add.

So let me correct my statement: Cash booking charged and refunded to Citi Prestige for 4 nights, after 4th night credit applied at booking.

Last edited by jcsimard; Jul 25, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:49 pm

While booking through Connexions is sometime frustrating and not generally as good as booking though the Aspire Concierge, they are nonetheless some sweet spots... and after August 1rst, we just need 2 sweet bookings per year.

I'm sure other people have made more bookings than me, but I made 14 Connexions bookings since I got my Prestige card, and 28 bookings through the Aspire Concierge... and I saved money on all of them.

Connexions bookings included:
- Cooper & Lumber Store Historic Inn for the opening weekend of the Antigua Sailing Week, including VIP tickets for events that were happening at the hotel (breakfast included) - $225 saving
- E & O in Penang for New Year (breakfast in restaurant and lounge access) - $183 saving
- Ibiza Grand Palladium Palace (all inclusive) for Easter weekend - $165 saving
- Senegambia Hotel in Gambia, over Christmas, including mandatory Christmas dinner and breakfast everyday - $162 saving
- Radisson Chisinau during the Moldova Wine Festival weekend (breakfast included)... this one would have been a little cheaper through the Aspire Concierge if it had not been for the CITI50 Offer (expired) - $132 saving with the CITI50 Offer
- Menorca Artium Carlos III, breakfast included - $121 saving
- El Faro Hotel, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica - $110 saving
- Parador de Melilla, Spain with breakfast included - $91 saving... this could be very useful in the future if the other paradores also show up on Connexions.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by mia
We're turning in a circle. estnet has already clarified:
Maybe scam is too strong, but when I compare the rates ty is offering (non chain no benefits) and the difference with their credit turns out to be 30% of the 4th night cost (without taxes) rather than 100% (for some hotels not true for every one) it seems dishonest to me.
Just a caution - if you care about the cost it pays to check and just not assume that ty is really giving you the "free" night cost you might expect.
estnet says "scam is too strong" but "it seems dishonest."

So even though Captain Obvious is not the mascot of thankyou.com, I would like to point out that you should always check multiple websites, as they may have different prices. In fact, sometimes the hotel's own website doesn't have the cheapest rate *gasp*. Oh, and they advertise it as such!

If you want to call it dishonest, let's see what else we could call dishonest:
-airline advertises you will have a "meal". But you don't consider that a meal. It is just a snack. Maybe 30% of what a meal should be. Yes, it's a scam.
-Amex FHR-says you get these benefits. But you pay more! Sometimes even $100 more. They must be a scam too. Charging you more and pretending they are giving you extra benefits.
-hotel sales. Definitely a scam. Say you get "up to 20%" off when sometimes the price was exactly the same as before the sale started. (this I actually think is dishonest, I've seen this tactic before, but it isn't a scam)
joachimm likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:41 am

Has anyone seen this generic room rate explanation on Thankyou? I'm looking to book 4 nights at the Princeville Resort and since it's no longer a St. Regis, might as well book online. The refundable rate on TY is even lower than the non-refundable rate with the 4NF factored in when booked directly. It seems to be good to be true. I'm worried it's not really a refundable rate or will incur some sort of cancelation fee.
I tried to find that cheap refundable TY rate at other major OTAs (hotels.com, Orbitz, etc.) but their prices are similar to the direct booking rates.
In the past, I've always seen the refund/cancellation rules more or less match the rules on the hotel/resort site. I searched TY for some other hotels on Kauai for the same dates, and some rates also show this generic TY language, whereas other rates show something that matches the hotel/resort's website.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
Has anyone seen this generic room rate explanation on Thankyou? I'm looking to book 4 nights at the Princeville Resort and since it's no longer a St. Regis, might as well book online. The refundable rate on TY is even lower than the non-refundable rate with the 4NF factored in when booked directly. It seems to be good to be true. I'm worried it's not really a refundable rate or will incur some sort of cancelation fee.
I tried to find that cheap refundable TY rate at other major OTAs (hotels.com, Orbitz, etc.) but their prices are similar to the direct booking rates.
In the past, I've always seen the refund/cancellation rules more or less match the rules on the hotel/resort site. I searched TY for some other hotels on Kauai for the same dates, and some rates also show this generic TY language, whereas other rates show something that matches the hotel/resort's website.
I have booked before when they had their $50 off 2 nights and the refundable stuff was truly refundable (terms read like yours).
Caveat is it takes a while to cancel, online does not always work so you may have to call in
EmpressRouge and akr1970akr like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
wish i saw this thread before booking on the phone.

Looks like i got routed to Connexions, made booking, couldn't pick rate code, or add membership number.

Called hotel to add several times, couldn't find booking at all. Called Citi back, gave me a confirmation number. They were also confident that I would be able to add my membership number at checkin, and that I'd receive my benefits that way.

Called hotel again, still couldn't find it. So looks like I will have to find out tomorrow on check-in...not my favorite experience.
Followup. Looks like my stay didn't post. Hotel can't print folio or give me anything for me to submit expenses for. Citi doesn't seem to make this option easy either. Am really annoyed if that' s the case (actually googled if I can chargeback on my Citi concierge at one point hah), lost out on 8 nights (double nights promo) towards status and at least 40k marriott points if that's the case.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:08 pm

Followup. Looks like my stay didn't post. Hotel can't print folio or give me anything for me to submit expenses for. Citi doesn't seem to make this option easy either. Am really annoyed if that' s the case (actually googled if I can chargeback on my Citi concierge at one point hah), lost out on 8 nights (double nights promo) towards status and at least 40k marriott points if that's the case.
It doesn't make sense to me. First off, on the phone you connect to Aspire Lifestyle. I never even knew you could get transferred to Connexions.
Secondly, the hotel cannot print anything out? You stayed there? How can they not prove you stayed there?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by s0ssos
It doesn't make sense to me. First off, on the phone you connect to Aspire Lifestyle. I never even knew you could get transferred to Connexions.
Secondly, the hotel cannot print anything out? You stayed there? How can they not prove you stayed there?
Yeah, they said on checkout they could only print out incidentals and I'd have to reach out to the booking agency.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... checkout they could only print out incidentals and I'd have to reach out to the booking agency.
This is probably to protect the confidentiality of the rate that the agency paid, and the agency may not ultimately have been Connexions (or Aspire) if they shopped the booking around for a lower cost.
StatusChallenged likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
That is pretty normal for an OTA / TYP Portal booking. In some rare/random circumstances I've been able to get a front desk to append a loyalty # upon arrival, but 80% of the time that doesn't work either. It doesn't really matter what the reps say over the phone. If you need something for reimbursement you should be able to look through your emails or prior itineraries and get something.

I've had situations where prepaid OTA bookings still ended up getting charged again by the hotel, and I had to fix that later. So all the downsides of the 3rd party booking....and double the price (at least until you get it refunded).
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:48 pm

Is anyone able to get through to the concierge number? Been calling for 30 minutes and it rings and then just silence forever. Ironic since it is the first time it has ever not told me they have higher than normal call volume, at which time they have always answered immediately. It is not Sept 1 yet so I would assume the service is not killed of or anything.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:20 am

Who are you guys emailing to make sure the credit is posting? Aspire?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.