Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Update: It affects all brands (e.g American Airlines, Expedia, Hilton, Citi ThankYou Points). Can't edit title so if a mod can that would be great.

Citi TYP earning cards now read:

Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige cards opened or closed in the past 24 months.
Previously it was on a card by card basis, now these three cards are grouped together.

Last edited by Doctor of Credit; Aug 11, 2016 at 8:44 pm
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
It's worse than the title suggests:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-ci...lton-citi-typ/

It seems to be going across all brands. RIP churning with Citi.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Citi TYP earning cards now read:

Previously it was on a card by card basis, now these three cards are grouped together.
Looks like it's on the AA cards now too. It wasn't on the page from AA.com, but the actual app page now says the bonus is not available if you've "had any Citi/AAdvantage card (other than a CitiBusiness/AAdvantage card) opened or closed" within 24 months.

Can't wait for the Barclays cards to become available for apps again!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Wow this sucks
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:53 pm

At least the AA biz card looks to be separately tracked, right?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Well, dang. I was planning to open a Citi AA Gold later this month (after opening and closing AA Plat cards in the past year).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Glad I got the 50k Premier bonus when it existed, and the 50k Prestige right before it dropped to 40k.

Given the path AA is on with devaluations and the dearth of sAAver availability, meh. I never churned the AA cards mostly because I live in a city that is sorta worthless for AA travel.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Does this mean that even if you sign up for a Citi CC with no sign-up bonus (i.e. premier or preferred) you still won't get a bonus if you sign up for a Citi card that has a bonus within 24 months? So no Hilton or AA points for me even if I sign up for a card with no sign-up bonus? that's....kind of awful.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
Does this mean that even if you sign up for a Citi CC with no sign-up bonus (i.e. premier or preferred) you still won't get a bonus if you sign up for a Citi card that has a bonus within 24 months? So no Hilton or AA points for me even if I sign up for a card with no sign-up bonus? that's....kind of awful.
No I don't think that's correct. It's one bonus per brand per 24 months.

So you can get a Citi TYP bonus tomorrow, a Hilton bonus tomorrow, an Expedia bonus tomorrow, and an AA bonus tomorrow, but you will have to wait 24 months before getting any sort of bonus again.

Regardless, Citi was my least favorite bank for points anyway. They're almost worthless. The only good thing, for me, was the ability to transfer to KrisFlyer to maximize redemption opportunities combined with my Chase and AMEX points.

I think at this point though, churning is essentially dead. I'd have to wait 2 years from now to get Chase UR. I've almost maxed out AMEX's once per lifetime policy, Citi is no longer churnable, Starwood is on the way out the door. All that's left is BoA for Virgin Atlantic and Alaska.

I highly suspect BoA will be next to put in an anti-churn policy.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adambadam
It's worse than the title suggests:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-ci...lton-citi-typ/

It seems to be going across all brands. RIP churning with Citi.
Thanks, sorry I can't update the title. If a mod could that would be awesome.

Originally Posted by aarif1
At least the AA biz card looks to be separately tracked, right?
Correct, fingers crossed for more business cards from Citi!

Originally Posted by pacolovestacos
No I don't think that's correct. It's one bonus per brand per 24 months.

So you can get a Citi TYP bonus tomorrow, a Hilton bonus tomorrow, an Expedia bonus tomorrow, and an AA bonus tomorrow, but you will have to wait 24 months before getting any sort of bonus again.

Regardless, Citi was my least favorite bank for points anyway. They're almost worthless. The only good thing, for me, was the ability to transfer to KrisFlyer to maximize redemption opportunities combined with my Chase and AMEX points.

I think at this point though, churning is essentially dead. I'd have to wait 2 years from now to get Chase UR. I've almost maxed out AMEX's once per lifetime policy, Citi is no longer churnable, Starwood is on the way out the door. All that's left is BoA for Virgin Atlantic and Alaska.

That's how it works according to the fine print, it's based on if you've opened or closed a specific card within the past 24 months. Sign up bonus isn't mentioned (emphasis mine):

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles not available if you have had any Citi / AAdvantage card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Thanks, sorry I can't update the title. If a mod could that would be awesome.

Correct, fingers crossed for more business cards from Citi!

That's how it works according to the fine print, it's based on if you've opened or closed a specific card within the past 24 months. Sign up bonus isn't mentioned (emphasis mine):
I wonder if Citi will come out with a Citi TYP business card that is also separately tracked. I think they're due.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:43 am
Suspended

Now for Hilton, does that mean 2 free nights from RESERVE is considered the same bonus as a Hilton Visa Signature point bonus? Can I get the free nights and the points in a 24 month period or is it one or the other?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:30 am

Now for Hilton, does that mean 2 free nights from RESERVE is considered the same bonus as a Hilton Visa Signature point bonus? Can I get the free nights and the points in a 24 month period or is it one or the other?
Yes, it should be considered as such, so you can't get both.

New terms, for the non-AF and the Reserve, respectively:

Bonus Hilton HHonors points are not available if you have had any Citi®Hilton HHonors™ card opened or closed in the past 24 months.
Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had any Citi®Hilton HHonorsTM card opened or closed in the past 24 months
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Assuming old mailers without this wording would be immune from this, correct?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:23 am

With the way people were abusing the MLB signup bonuses, this would not surprise me at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.