Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:01 pm

I just found this thread. So, if I understand the new restrictions correctly, each card family has now its separate 2 yr open/close restriction. Hypothetically, if I open a citi HHonors Visa today (let's say it's my first in this card family) and a citi Prestige in November (also my first one in the TYP family), I can expect to receive a bonus for each card, at least based on my understanding of the new rules. Did I get it right?
In other words, having just opened an HHonors Visa doesn't interfere with applying for my first Prestige card, right?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by honu
I just found this thread. So, if I understand the new restrictions correctly, each card family has now its separate 2 yr open/close restriction. Hypothetically, if I open a citi HHonors Visa today (let's say it's my first in this card family) and a citi Prestige in November (also my first one in the TYP family), I can expect to receive a bonus for each card, at least based on my understanding of the new rules. Did I get it right?
Correct. The Hilton co-brand family is separate from the ThankYou family of cards for purposes of the new policy.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:05 pm

Thanks for the reply
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
My Citi Prestige AF is due next month. Since bonus TY was awarded in 2015, can I downgrade prestige to other no AF card (and again eligible for TYP next year?) If I do that, will my TYP from prestige expire? Will I be able to transfer it to hotel/airline partners with downgraded card?
If I cancel it, then my clock will reset to 24 mo and will be eligible in 2018, so that is my least favorite option..
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by desikid
My Citi Prestige AF is due next month. Since bonus TY was awarded in 2015, can I downgrade prestige to other no AF card (and again eligible for TYP next year?) If I do that, will my TYP from prestige expire? Will I be able to transfer it to hotel/airline partners with downgraded card?
If I cancel it, then my clock will reset to 24 mo and will be eligible in 2018, so that is my least favorite option..
Downgrading in most cases with Citi counts the same as closing, for the purposes of the 24-month clock. (Downgrading is actually closing one card and opening another card in its place, and transferring the credit limit and history.)

The 24-month clock hasn't applied to TYP cards long enough (and signup bonus haven't been around consistently enough for TYP cards other the Prestige lately) for us to know whether downgrading one TYP card to another TYP card is an exception to that or not. (We do know that downgrading an AA Plat card to Double Cash resets the 24-month clock, because it reset the 18-month clock for one or more people back when the clock was 18 months.)

There are indications that downgrading to a TYP Preferred card may keep your points from expiring, but a Preferred card doesn't let you transfer.

The only card you downgrade Prestige to that would still let you transfer is the $95/year Premier card. Whether that keeps your points from expiring after 60 days, I don't think we have an datapoints on that yet.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:42 pm

Hello all,

I currently have an open (3/16) Citi Prestige and I closed a Barclay's AA (that was a US then automatically switched) on 10/15. Am I right in that I am still eligible for the bonus AAdvantage miles if I opened an account now? And also that I could open an CitiBusiness / AAdvantage account and also get those bonus miles (admittedly smaller)? Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by huskyrunner87
Hello all,

I currently have an open (3/16) Citi Prestige and I closed a Barclay's AA (that was a US then automatically switched) on 10/15. Am I right in that I am still eligible for the bonus AAdvantage miles if I opened an account now? And also that I could open an CitiBusiness / AAdvantage account and also get those bonus miles (admittedly smaller)? Thanks!
We can't tell. You haven't mentioned if you've had any Citi AA cards in the past 24/25 months or not. That's the determining factor. What cards you've had from other banks doesn't make a single bit of difference. Barclay is not Citi!

Meanwhile, why do you say "admittedly smaller"? Both the personal AA Plat card and the business AA card have 50k bonus offers. The only bonus that's bigger is for AA Exec, but it's only 10k bigger, for that requires $2k more of spend, and whops you with a $450 annual fee right off the bat (while the AA Plat and AA business cards have the annual fee waived the first year).

So are you really sure the 10k extra on the Exec is worth the bother for you? Or is the issue that you didn't realize there were 50k business offers? I can't tell again, because you gave your conclusions without giving all the underlying facts / assumptions.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
We can't tell. You haven't mentioned if you've had any Citi AA cards in the past 24/25 months or not. That's the determining factor. What cards you've had from other banks doesn't make a single bit of difference. Barclay is not Citi!

Meanwhile, why do you say "admittedly smaller"? Both the personal AA Plat card and the business AA card have 50k bonus offers. The only bonus that's bigger is for AA Exec, but it's only 10k bigger, for that requires $2k more of spend, and whops you with a $450 annual fee right off the bat (while the AA Plat and AA business cards have the annual fee waived the first year).

So are you really sure the 10k extra on the Exec is worth the bother for you? Or is the issue that you didn't realize there were 50k business offers? I can't tell again, because you gave your conclusions without giving all the underlying facts / assumptions.
I have not had any Citi AA cards opened or closed in the past 24 mo. I wasn't sure if the Citi Prestige counted.

I didn't realize that there was a business AA card with a 50k bonus offer. I'll have to look again.

And I could do both the personal and the business? In other words, opening one does not preclude me from getting the bonus offer on the other?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by huskyrunner87
...business AA card with a 50k bonus offer. I'll have to look again.
Look here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1784306

Read the terms of the offers to see which previous cards exclude eligibility for the bonus. Make sure you understand Citi's "8/65" policy before submitting an application for a second card. Read more here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...24-months.html
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:06 pm

Unhappy Citi Prestige 40k not honored

Guys,

I need some advise/help here.
My wife applied for a Citi Prestige card on Aug 27th 2016. I knew that we were applying for this card before the new changes that are starting in Sep 2016 that anyone holding a Citi Premier or any Thank you product won't be eligible for the new bonus.
Today when we called in, we were told that her account is not eligible for the bonus as she already have a Premier card.

We were telling the agent that we applied the card before the changes went in. We applied on Aug 27th and there has been a delay in processing her application because of a fraud alert with the credit bureaus and her application was only approved on Sep 6 after someone from citi called wife to confirm her identity.

In this entire process, the worst thing that happened from my side was losing the saved application page and terms and conditions page.. My harddrive crashed and just could not retrieve any data.

Now Citi is asking me to send in the the copy of application page that did not include the bonus exceptions language. I feel like a loser today when I don't find any of the saved information.

I knew we are doing this application before the changes kicked in.

Could any of you point me to the old application page or a copy of it?..I would be very thankful to you.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:47 pm
mia

Did you actually have an offer without this language?

Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months.

-OR- were you relying on a blog article which asserted that Citi would not enforce the terms as written until the 28th?

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/apply-...8th-old-terms/
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What did the approval letter that Citi sends tell you?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There are indications that downgrading to a TYP Preferred card may keep your points from expiring, but a Preferred card doesn't let you transfer.

The only card you downgrade Prestige to that would still let you transfer is the $95/year Premier card. Whether that keeps your points from expiring after 60 days, I don't think we have an datapoints on that yet.
You're talking about transferring to airline / hotel partners, right? Family member has a Premier card that we intend to close / downgrade to Preferred. I have Premier that I plan on keeping, so we figured points from family members account can be transferred to my TY account and I can then transfer them to the airline partners.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:54 am
mia

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
...points from family members account can be transferred to my TY account...
Citi calls this Sharing (not Transferring). You can do this,provided the points were not earned through banking or through a customer service adjustment or are within 90 days of expiration, but note that Sharing is now capped:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ndar-year.html
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:13 pm

Does being AU affect the clock?

Is there confirmation that being an AU does not reset or change the clock on getting the bonuses again?

Example, I cancelled AA Exec last year so I should have 1 more year to go on my 24 month clock. However, I am also an AU on my Wife's card. If she cancels it today, will it also reset my 24 months or should I still be safe next year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.